Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times

Advertisements

There aren't enough teachers of Chinese and Arabic yet to make them a priority for every school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM

144 posts, read 460,828 times
I think part of the reason it appears this way is the rise of standardized testing for those subjects plus "english" (reading and writing). There are standardized tests for Social Studies and other subjects but seeing as how they are not mandated by NCLB they often get the short end of any discussion that deals with education.

As a Social Studies teacher I can say that I do get pressure to make sure I'm teaching certain reading and writing skills that are necessarry for "the test" but as for making sure the curriculum is challenging or even relevant, there's not much talk about those.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM

83 posts, read 387,581 times
My high school had higher requirements for English and the social sciences. 4 credits for English (1 credit is one year of class not a semester) and 4 for the social sciences (which covered a broad range of classes).

Math and Science were 3 each to graduate. And it didn't really matter what math you took either. Basic Algebra, Algeba 1, Algebra 1 part 2...done.

Oh, but we still needed 4 credits of Phys ed

It's funny though. I never learned another thing about writing, grammer etc after 8th grade. They just stopped teaching it. All through High school we read books and wrote papers but I was never again taught how to write. I don't even remember them grading on that either. Unless it was something obvious like punctuation.

I would say two thirds of what I know today I learned in College. And even though I went for Engineering I learned more in my 4 semesters of lit classes about writing then I did in 9-12.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM

43 posts, read 193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, is it just me, or does our education system consider math and science more important than any other subject? Do schools emphasize math/science at the expense of other subjects? Am I wrong in my perception? Just curious.

Mackinac

I work in education and can tell you; 1. it depends on the school district and 2. it really depends on the school. 3. It really depends on the teacher.

My district emphasizes math and reading. Maybe if the story the kids are reading (K-6) can include some science then it is up to the teacher to steer things in that direction. Once you get to jr high and high school with individual classes- hist., eng., etc. at that point it again depends on the the school and teacher.

If anything my district emphasizes math and reading, early on anyway, at the expense of science and other subjects like art and/or music.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Math and Science are emphasized because American students are so notoriously bad at these subjects. The curricula are not rigorous enough. Combine this with the decline of government research funding and the future of technological innovation in this country is going to suffer greatly.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:34 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
Speaking of foreign language, at least around where I went to high school, students got to choose from Spanish, French, or German.

Just stupid. The first priority of every school should be to teach Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic. French or German only if there are extra funds left over.
I would have loved to have learned Arabic and Chinese. I love Spanish and it makes sense considering the high Latino population but at the same time, Chinese and Arabic is good for the global market.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
No one will disagree that it is important to have a well rounded education.But, in a competitive world, science and math should be considered very important - especially since we do not do well in these subjects. The nation needs to become more competitive - especially as Asia begins to wake up.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
I am sorry, but unless there is a major overhaul of the foreign language programs in any school, they are almost useless.

I took 7 years of French (grade 5-11) and 2 years Spanish in high school (10 & 11), and two years Spanish in college, as well as 1 semester Russian in college.

I have been learning Arabic for about 10 years, not with any sort of concentration, my focus on it has come and gone in waves.....
(I am married to an Arabic speaking man who never speaks Arabic because he came to the US so young)

I would like to know what the goal of teaching ANY foreign language is in the grammar, junior and high school level? Is it for the students to become fluent? Because if it is, it's not working!!!! I don't know one student that is fluent out of high school and very few that continue their language classes in college. And then if you don't USE it, you LOSE it.

Ask me how much French and Spanish I remember. Yeah, thats about how much. Listening to spanish, i can pretty much follow along with what is being talked about, not what is being said. My french is even worse. Ask me to talk in either language and what I can remember would probably be half one and half the other. Of course the Russian is even worse as I only had one semester (the college didn't offer the next level, I don't know why) My Arabic is probably the strongest, I can pretty much follow along a conversation, understanding a good bit of it, but I can hardly speak it (used to wonder how that was possible, but it is).

Anyhow, I wouldn't want to see the kids not taking a foreign language, but really we are failing to become a bilingual society by any means. They either need to improve the foreign language classes or scrap them.

btw, in Egypt, my husband went to a British school, he was taught in English for EVERY subject. (except, of course when they had their Arabic class) His nieces all went to British or American schools, and when we visited them, all spoke English. Now, many of his cousins back home send their kids to French school, where the kids receive ALL their instruction in French, and have an Arabic class. These kids are speaking French fluently already. (At ages 8, 9, 11) This would be the equivalent of us sending our kids to private school, which was taught solely in Arabic or Chinese or Spanish or French, ALL DAY, with one period of English. If we want our kids to be bilingual, that is the way we need to be going....

Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikes0000 View Post

It's funny though. I never learned another thing about writing, grammer etc after 8th grade. They just stopped teaching it. All through High school we read books and wrote papers but I was never again taught how to write. I don't even remember them grading on that either. Unless it was something obvious like punctuation.

I would say two thirds of what I know today I learned in College. And even though I went for Engineering I learned more in my 4 semesters of lit classes about writing then I did in 9-12.
You are right about that. I learned more about English grammar in foreign language classes than I did in English. (Maybe that is why our foreign language classes are failing)

Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Foreign language is very overrated and is useless to make it a requirement.

I have yet to attend college with anyone who is fluent or even obtained an upper division level understanding of a foriegn language with the excpetion of immigrants whose language at home was not English.

Even at that, if a person gradutate from a foreign high school whose native language is not English, they still have to take extra English language courses to take place of what would be a foreign language course for English speakers regardless of how proficent the speaker is in English, its ridiculous.

The first college I went to still made me take foreign language courses even though I already know a foreign language because they did not have a placement test available for my language and would not accept testing from anywhere else.

What comes at the end at the 2 year language requirement? A bunch of people who all in all will only remember hi, bye and thank you.

Language should be reserved for those with real interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education