Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM

207 posts, read 1,003,982 times

Advertisements

I know everyone is having them this year since budgets have been cut on all levels...what cuts have you seen so far at your school? We lucked out that our superintendent stuck with the proposed salary increases, but I'm sure that won't be the cast next year...

I know this isn't all, but so far I have heard about:
- Teacher supply money for the year cut from $300 to $275
- No lunches provided at trainings
- Principals struggling/fighting for "learning cottages"/trailers to be put in and set up with power, etc.
- Some "extra" jobs were done away with (instructional technology)

One district in our area is ending Summer school...our district already doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,374,572 times
Is "learning cottage" the new four-bit word for "portable" these days?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM

Oh yes. We don't put children in "trailers"...not even "portables" anymore...now they are "learning cottages." I get the priviledge of being booted to one this year. But am fortunate enough to get a new one (that my principal had to fight for) with a bathroom and new furniture!!! :-D

Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Is "learning cottage" the new four-bit word for "portable" these days?
We had a couple a few years ago. That's what we were told to call them. No bathrooms in them though. We had them because of renovation.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
The student:teacher ratio was upped by .5 students.
They also delayed implementing full day kindergarten at some schools.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,755 times
1. No raises for any school district personnel this coming year
2. A 2% pay cut for all level 9 administrators
3. A hiring freeze district wide in every single department
4. classroom budgets have been cut big time. Mine for kindergarten this year has been cut from last year's $240 to $87.
5. No more small refigerators or microwaves in classrooms or offices
6. Thermostats are now being set on a district computer. Only those in portables will have control of their A/C and heat.
7. Supplements have been cut by half
8. All middle school athletic programs have been eliminated
9. High School athletic programs have had their budgets cut in half
10. Breakfast and lunch prices have been raised
11. Many bus stops have been eliminated.
12. We can no longer be required to participate in staff development outside of our regular contractual school hours (including meetings) because there is no money to offer any stipends.

There are more, but I cannot remember what they are off the top of my head right now.

Nancy

Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
All of our teachers got macbooks last year. I was on the district Strategic planning committee and at every meeting we were offered cookies and beverages. At the kick-off meeting, they gave everyone dinner. We're in the midst of building a 4-6 building. I don't see any cuts here....

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
I think that if K-8 schools concentrated on doing the basics well- English grammar/literature, Math (through Alg 2), basic Science (biology) and left the rest for the parents to fund, we might do a better job of educating kids. Forget ESL. Give LD and GT families vouchers for private schooling. Art, drama, foreign language, sports, music- those are all extras that parents, not taxpayers, should be providing. Keep the kids in year around schools and make dropping out illegal until a kid is 18. Just my humble old .02

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM

BioAdoptMom3: WOW! Those are some major cuts!! Unfortunately, your district is probably just looking ahead...I'm sure we'll see a lot more next year. Our budget was cut 1 million by the county...the initial plan was to cut it 2.8 million...thank goodness for support of parents and teachers!

Toobusytoday: Are you public school? Thats impressive...the school must have money saved somewhere since we're all suffering federal cuts.

Mimimomx3: How sad...I can't imagine school without the arts :-( We would definitely not be creating well-rounded children.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah090206 View Post
BioAdoptMom3: WOW! Those are some major cuts!! Unfortunately, your district is probably just looking ahead...I'm sure we'll see a lot more next year. Our budget was cut 1 million by the county...the initial plan was to cut it 2.8 million...thank goodness for support of parents and teachers!

Toobusytoday: Are you public school? Thats impressive...the school must have money saved somewhere since we're all suffering federal cuts.

Mimimomx3: How sad...I can't imagine school without the arts :-( We would definitely not be creating well-rounded children.
We have lovely well rounded kids in the public school who can't do math. Who can't write an essay. I'm all for the arts etc., but on the parents' $$, on the weekend and after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education