Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutfreemom View Post
I am new to this group and was hoping to get some input. My daughter is in 3rd grade and has a severe peanut allergy. Before this year she sat at the "peanut free table" and could have friends sit with her as long as they did not have peanut butter or peanut butter products. This year the principal has decided that only allergy kids can sit at the table. (that leaves my daughter and 1 other boy) My husband and I will not stand for her being isolated due to her allergy. We did not sign our 504 becuase they would not make accomodations for luch time. The school and school district are being very resistant. Please advise.
I'm not sure what type of accomodations you are asking of the school. Could you please be more specific?

Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
I am new to this group and was hoping to get some input. My daughter is in 3rd grade and has a severe peanut allergy. Before this year she sat at the "peanut free table" and could have friends sit with her as long as they did not have peanut butter or peanut butter products. This year the principal has decided that only allergy kids can sit at the table. (that leaves my daughter and 1 other boy) My husband and I will not stand for her being isolated due to her allergy. We did not sign our 504 becuase they would not make accomodations for luch time. The school and school district are being very resistant. Please advise.
Look, the school is just covering its proverbial butt from sue-happy people. If for some reason a non-allergy kid sat at your child's peanut-free table and had a product that made her sick, I'm betting you'd pitch a fit at somebody, whether it was the kid's parents or the school. So they are just trying to minimally protect themselves against lawsuits.

Don't like it? Well, it's not their fault that your kid has a problem. They've been accommodating; you're just expecting too much. So your kid can't be with a friend for the 15 minutes it takes to eat lunch, big deal. They can socialize on the playground.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
Have you read here how ignorant/resistant many people are about banning peanuts?
Insulting people does NOTHING for your cause. It's none of your business what my family eats at lunch or any other time. Like many others have said; if the allergy is life threatening, keep the kid out of school. Don't expect EVERYBODY else to change to suit one or two kids.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Would they be open to signed consent forms or a written note from her friend(s) parents? I was just thinking that if some of her friends wanted to sit with her at lunch and their parents where willing to guarantee not to send anything with peanuts to school, that it might solve the problem.

My son, a fervent pb&j lover, recently started asking for only veggie sandwiches so he could next to his friend. I didn't understand, but now I do. I need to clean my pantry and go through what I already have, but I'm going to make sure I don't send anything with peanuts in it for the rest of the school year, just to make sure. To me, it is a small action that could help tremendously.

Now if I could only figure out what to make when they come for dinner Saturday (no eggs, soy, or nuts...homemade ravoli is my backup if I can't think of anything better).

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM

20 posts, read 44,171 times
to all those complaining about peanut rules in schools. How many of you support the new PA law that bans smoking in public places

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut mom View Post
to all those complaining about peanut rules in schools. How many of you support the new PA law that bans smoking in public places
Banning smoking in public places is for the health of all.

Banning peanut products in school is for the health of one.

Banning smoking in public places is to the inconvenience of a handful.

Banning peanut products in school is to the inconvenience of all.

They're opposite, so what is your point?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM

109 posts, read 757,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Insulting people does NOTHING for your cause. It's none of your business what my family eats at lunch or any other time. Like many others have said; if the allergy is life threatening, keep the kid out of school. Don't expect EVERYBODY else to change to suit one or two kids.
My point was that you can't count on others to not eat peanuts, because people have a strong desire not to ban them. Your response was exactly what I was referring to.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting a peanut ban in public places?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akire View Post
My point was that you can't count on others to not eat peanuts, because people have a strong desire not to ban them. Your response was exactly what I was referring to.
Whatever, but I would not change my child's eating habits to suit someone else.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
I do not.

I am not a smoker and I think it's a vile habit. However, I am against smoking bans for the most part. I believe public buildings where people are forced to be (hospitals, courthouses, schools, offices, etc) are good candidates for limiting smoking and should have designated smoking areas to keep it away from the rest of the public.

However, I do not agree with banning smoking in a place where people CHOOSE to be, such as a restaurant, bar, stadium, et cetera. I believe whether or not a business establishment such as a bar allows smoking should be up to the owner of the business, and the customer will sort out whether or not they wish to patronize that establishment.

So no, I do not in general support smoking bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education