Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 02:54 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut mom View Post
for the most part, people who like the smoking bans, are non smokers who are concerned about their own personal health. Keeping peanuts out of schools, would be for the health of many children(not just 1 as someone mentioned) I would love for all who are opposed to limiting peanuts in schools, to ask their children this question. Can you live without peanuts during the school day, to help your school mates not get sick? The children I have talked too have no problem with this. It is the small minded arrogant parents
Ask YOUR child "Can you sit at a peanut-free table for lunch in order to help your schoolmates not have to change their eating habits?"

To quote Mr. Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:
for the most part, people who like the smoking bans, are non smokers who are concerned about their own personal health. Keeping peanuts out of schools, would be for the health of many children(not just 1 as someone mentioned) I would love for all who are opposed to limiting peanuts in schools, to ask their children this question. Can you live without peanuts during the school day, to help your school mates not get sick? The children I have talked too have no problem with this. It is the small minded arrogant parents
Talk about small minded arrogant parents ! ! ! Expecting so much from little kids is WAY out of line.

And why would you EVER put it on the kids? So now these kids, if yours gets sick will think it's THEIR fault. HOW DARE YOU PUT THAT ON THE KIDS. Do you not have the backbone to face their parents and deal adult on adult???? It is not up to the children what they take in their lunch or for snack. MAN, if you ever asked my child that question, I'd send peanuts to school just because you have no right speaking to my child and putting a guilt trip on her.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Ask YOUR child "Can you sit at a peanut-free table for lunch in order to help your schoolmates not have to change their eating habits?"

To quote Mr. Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
Exactly ! ! !

Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
for the most part, people who like the smoking bans, are non smokers who are concerned about their own personal health. Keeping peanuts out of schools, would be for the health of many children(not just 1 as someone mentioned)
That statement is not true. Have you any idea of the number of smokers who won't even smoke in their own house??? Many, many, many.

Keeping peanuts out of schools would be for the health of many children how??? If your problem is that YOUR child would be sitting alone at a peanut free table, how would banning peanuts from that school benefit more than YOUR child???? Oh, and that one other little boy.

Two doesn't qualify as "many"

Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:

I love it when people make these asinine comparisons!

let's see, cigarettes are composed of many chemicals, many of which are CARCINOGENIC, many of which are just plain disgusting (ie, tar). the vast, VAST majority of people, when exposed to certain quantities of cigarette smoke, will suffer NEGATIVE consequences. since you can't contain the smoke w/in a shared air space due to ventilation, I support a smoking ban since it's impossible to have a smoke free area completely free of smoke (though I'd be fine w/ some restaurants/public places not being smoke free, so long as it was clearly marked as such).

now peanuts are a naturally occurring legume that, when crushed/mashed w/ oils (and maybe some other ingredients such as salt, sweeteners, etc) makes a tasty spread that has plenty of POSITVE attributes. it's a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals and is known to promote healthy cardiovascular health. the vast, VAST majority of people, when exposed to peanuts, will suffer NO consequences whatsoever. indeed, the number of people who would suffer negative consequences from being exposed to the presence of peanuts is FAR less than those who would suffer from the presence from cigarette smoke

again, I agree w/ SuSuSushi, ask YOUR CHILD if he/she wants to go w/o peanuts. it's not your place to force that decision upon other families. if your kid is lonely at the peanut-free table, ask the parents of their friends to go peanut free so the kids can sit together (for the record, I don't quite agree w/ not letting non allergic kids sit at a peanut free table. if the other kids' parents want to ensure the safety of the allergic kids at the table by not bringing in peanuts, let them sign some waiver or something and let them sit together. but I can see a school being concerned about liability so can understand why they wouldn't do this)

parents like you and andthentherewere3 need to look outside YOUR own little boxes (because indeed, your box is MUCH smaller than ours, again, the number of people w/ peanut allergies is much smaller than the number of people who aren't), look outside your own personal lives and your small, tight-knit communities of like-minded sufferers to realize that not everyone wants to, or can, make such a leap for your kid. YOU are the ones being selfish, inconsiderate, and lazy, not the parents who want to make their own decisions for their kids.

Last edited by eevee; 09-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,380 times
Quote:
My children are not willing to go without the foods they require to maintain good health. Peanuts, nuts, and soy are an important part of their diets. If the school tries to take one or more of those away from them, they would object.

Just like the parent of one of these allergic children teaches the child about the foods they shouldn't have, I teach my children about the foods they should have. If the allergic child is not learning those lessons, and cannot be trusted not to eat what is bad for them, then a lunch table free of their allergens is the correct solution.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganMom View Post
My children are not willing to go without the foods they require to maintain good health. Peanuts, nuts, and soy are an important part of their diets. If the school tries to take one or more of those away from them, they would object.

Just like the parent of one of these allergic children teaches the child about the foods they shouldn't have, I teach my children about the foods they should have. If the allergic child is not learning those lessons, and cannot be trusted not to eat what is bad for them, then a lunch table free of their allergens is the correct solution.
Yep, it's not exactly like you can send your kid a BLT or a bologna sammich or a cheese sammich, now can you?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 PM

20 posts, read 44,135 times
My 8 year old daughter, who does not have allergies of any type, asks me not to pack her bananas or strawberries bacause her classmate is allergic to them. She does not want to make him sick. She came to me voluntarily with this before her brother was diagnosed with peanut allergies. This to me says that kids are much more compassionate to others than many adults.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
This to me says that kids are much more compassionate to others than many adults.
Too bad it isn't the 8 year olds buying the groceries.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
My 8 year old daughter, who does not have allergies of any type, asks me not to pack her bananas or strawberries bacause her classmate is allergic to them. She does not want to make him sick. She came to me voluntarily with this before her brother was diagnosed with peanut allergies. This to me says that kids are much more compassionate to others than many adults.
You are blessed to have a compassionate child; however, if she had asked you not to pack bananas or strawberries and instead give her a donut, would you? I don't think you would because you as a parent are the one who knows what food is good for her, balanced with what she would eat, isn't it? For example, you know that donuts are bad, she prefers not to bring bananas or strawberries, so you offer celery sticks and baby carrots because 1) they're healthy and 2) they're inexpensive. Would she eat those? What would you send instead? Cheese crackers, say? What if someone was allergic to cheese? What's next? Say nobody is allergic to soy (pretty hypoallergenic I hear). Would she take tofu?

Same with the peanut-butter kids, y'know. What if the best compromise they can make is to be able to sometimes send PB&J with their kids since they don't want the daily fight over things they don't like which are healthy, and the things they like which are not, like donuts or Twinkies. See what I'm getting at? While compassion in its truest, most honest form in a child is admirable, in the end, its the parent that is put out here. Can you see where I'm coming from here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education