Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A middle school student is suspended because of the color she dyed her hair. KYTV's Marie Saavedra reports.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Good for her for appealing an arbitrary rule.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,969 times
Harrison Bergeron lives!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
A middle school student was suspended for breaking school policy. She was well aware of the policy and had been warned previously. LOTS of middle schools have similar rules regarding hair color. Not sure why this is newsworthy.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I do not see why it is the school's business what color a person's hair is.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
It's all about conformity, k350. If you think outside the box when it comes to hair color, who knows what other mischief you might think up?

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I do not see why it is the school's business what color a person's hair is.
Because according to the school, it is a distraction.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I think fat poeple are a big distraction, and fat people are a proven drag on the health care system, perhaps they should suspend all students who are fat?

The school should be required to provide proof that it is a distraction, all this is doing is teaching kids it is quite ok to force your beleifs onto others for no real reason other than "I said so". This will eventually find its way into real life and these brainwashed idiots will be running around trying to tell everyone and their brother what to do as they about do or try to do now.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I think the principle should be suspended for having a mustache. He needs to be clean shaven. All pun aside, the girl is going thru a age cycle and is not having her eyebrows/nose/lips pierced like some I see in the malls. Heck, the hair will return to its natural colour soon anyway. They need to get a life. Steve

Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think fat poeple are a big distraction, and fat people are a proven drag on the health care system, perhaps they should suspend all students who are fat?

The school should be required to provide proof that it is a distraction, all this is doing is teaching kids it is quite ok to force your beliefs onto others for no real reason other than "I said so". This will eventually find its way into real life and these brainwashed idiots will be running around trying to tell everyone and their brother what to do as they about do or try to do now.
::::applause, applause::::::

Exactly. The principal wanted to be sure that everyone is treated fairly, blah blah.. so why not just let everyone have the hair color they want!? Then all is equal. That's my 16 year old's input on the subject.

Jeeezus. Real life hits you soon enough, and conformity shoves it's way down your throat, like it or not, at that tender age of 18 for many. Aside from those lucky few who are pro athletes, movie stars, or maybe the self-employed who never see another person at all, or run their own tattoo/piercing place or Harley shop, the REST OF US have to suit up/uniform up, cover the tattoos if we have 'em, go back to our boring "natural" hair colors and join the rat race sooner than any of us would probably like. All while pretending to LIKE IT, smile and make chit chat around the water cooler, blah blah lovely weather we're having, blah blah how 'bout them Spurs, blah blah Did you hear they're building a new STRIP MALL? Ugh.

Why the heck can't we let kids have a little FUN while they're KIDS?

Colors are fun. Clothes are fun. Youth is a time for learning and preparing for adulthood but they aren't adults yet! Cripes.

My boys are 10 and 16. One has spiked turquoise hair at the moment (the 16 year old). The ten year old has a mohawk and has for a year. The school they attend doesn't give a rat's azz about their hair. My kids are smart, kind, respectful, well behaved, and teachers and administration ADORE them both. You would not believe the compliments I get each year from their teachers, the awards they get at the end of the year for good citizenship, helpfulness, community service, etc.

The school spends it's time focusing on EDUCATION issues rather than fighting to enforce ridiculous dress codes that always end up just being the opinion of a few uptight control freaks who don't like ANYTHING different and are jealous because they've been repressed all their lives or something. Where my kids go to school, individuality and free expression of ideas (either through apparel, fashion, writing, music, art, etc.) is *encouraged*.

Imagine! I know, it's scary.. how will we get the next generation of mindless sheep who will slave away their entire lives, chained to a wristwatch and the almighty dollar, too beat down and tired to vote or protest or organize, much less think for themselves, if this sort of thing is allowed to go unchecked!

I'm not saying there is no dress code there and that chaos rules, but it's reasonable and limited to prohibiting slogans that promote violence, sexually suggestive apparel, etc. In other words, it's a common sense dress code, not a stick-in-the-mud dress code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education