Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 11:22 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,337,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I think when your kid takes an AP class you have a general assurance that the teacher has been prepared to teach it.

I guess our community college experiences were different... probably depends on the class/college.

Your bolded statement was exactly my point. It does not matter if a kid is getting college credit in high school, or in college, or honestly, not at all, depending on what they decide to do with their lives. Saying that homeschooling is bad becasue the kids might not take AP Chemistry does not make sense. Taking AP classes or not does not tip the scales towards lifetime success in any way.

No one ever said that. However, many studies have been done about AP classes and their role in a students success in college. AP classes are invaluable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 AM

697 posts, read 2,012,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
No one ever said that. However, many studies have been done about AP classes and their role in a students success in college. AP classes are invaluable.

Why do you think AP classes are so important? Many, many students are accepted into the best colleges who have never taken AP classes. They mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things. Seriously, my child can be as equally educated at home, and even surpass so called AP students in many areas.

The greatest minds in history did not take AP classes. Why are they so important to you?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
I think that some people are missing the forest for the trees: AP classes are not the goal of education. College is not the end goal of education. The end goal of any education should be a well-rounded person who is qualified and able to do what they love. Some students might get there by taking AP classes and going to top tier universities. Others will get there by being homeschooled and taking community college courses. Still others will never have any formal "building" schooling, but will still be well-educated, well-rounded, and happy.

If your only goal is to have your children take AP classes so that they can get into top-tier universities a credit or two ahead of their non-AP-test-taking peers, then in my opinion, you are being shortsighted. Even if that is your main goal, you can certainly still homeschool and utilize the options available... though honestly, I think most homeschoolers see the bigger picture, and realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat (or educate a child).

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM

There's really no point . . .

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,606,425 times
Quote:
I think that some people are missing the forest for the trees: AP classes are not the goal of education. College is not the end goal of education. The end goal of any education should be a well-rounded person who is qualified and able to do what they love. Some students might get there by taking AP classes and going to top tier universities. Others will get there by being homeschooled and taking community college courses. Still others will never have any formal "building" schooling, but will still be well-educated, well-rounded, and happy.

If your only goal is to have your children take AP classes so that they can get into top-tier universities a credit or two ahead of their non-AP-test-taking peers, then in my opinion, you are being shortsighted. Even if that is your main goal, you can certainly still homeschool and utilize the options available... though honestly, I think most homeschoolers see the bigger picture, and realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat (or educate a child).
This was extremely well written and expressed! I could not agree more! Bravo!!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:04 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
I think that some people are missing the forest for the trees: AP classes are not the goal of education. College is not the end goal of education. The end goal of any education should be a well-rounded person who is qualified and able to do what they love.
Another forest that some can't see for the trees is this: homeschooling well into high school, trying to teach subjects one is not qualified to teach, is not helping the child. It's being done in some cases BY the parent FOR the parent. By unqualified I mean, the parent never having taken the course him/her self, have such a limitied knowledge of the material that s/he is learning along with the child. No one would put up with that in a public school.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:59 PM

395 posts, read 1,538,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another forest that some can't see for the trees is this: homeschooling well into high school, trying to teach subjects one is not qualified to teach, is not helping the child. It's being done in some cases BY the parent FOR the parent. By unqualified I mean, the parent never having taken the course him/her self, have such a limitied knowledge of the material that s/he is learning along with the child. No one would put up with that in a public school.

There are homeschool groups with co-ops,private tutors, online courses with real certified teachers. There are countless software programs that a homeschooling parent can buy and have their kids entire curriculum right there on the computer.

I am a homeschooling parent and I will be homeschooling an eighth grader this year after we move in a few weeks. She is behind grade level in most subjects except for reading.My other child, as I have mentioned before, is severely autistic and we have been homeschooling her for quite a while now. She is making exellent progress.

When one of them gets to a point where they are ready to learn things that I cannot teach them then I will find another way for them to learn them before I think about putting them in public school again.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 AM

650 posts, read 2,177,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sorry, but I am confused. Are you saying that the average American is not qualified to learn, pass, or teach high school subjects? What exactly is wrong with learning the material along with your child if it is a subject that you have no experience in? Most homeschoolers use curriculums with teacher's editions complete with all of the answers, just the same as schools. If you can READ you can homeschool!

I never took a computer class in high school or college. All of my knowledge is self taught. Does that mean that I am not qualified to teach my child how to use the computer or to use one myself? That doesn't make any sense! If the end result is that the student LEARNS the material, what does it matter to you if the parent had prior knowledge?

Old 09-20-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I'm sorry, but I am confused. Are you saying that the average American is not qualified to learn, pass, or teach high school subjects? What exactly is wrong with learning the material along with your child if it is a subject that you have no experience in? Most homeschoolers use curriculums with teacher's editions complete with all of the answers, just the same as schools. If you can READ you can homeschool!

I never took a computer class in high school or college. All of my knowledge is self taught. Does that mean that I am not qualified to teach my child how to use the computer or to use one myself? That doesn't make any sense! If the end result is that the student LEARNS the material, what does it matter to you if the parent had prior knowledge?

But teaching is way, way more than reading a book and making sure the answers are right. As a math teacher, I rarely even used my teacher's edition, and I never used the one I had in Chemistry.

And to answer your question, no, the average American is not qualified to teach a high school subject. By law any person teaching in grades 6 -12 must have a degree in the subject area that they teach in.

If I was just going to read the book to my students, what did I waste 30K on a graduate degree for?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
I'm sorry, but I am confused. Are you saying that the average American is not qualified to learn, pass, or teach high school subjects?

Few of us are qualified to teach every subject a high school offers. As was stated before, most sciences require a lab. Most homes do not come equipped with a science lab. How can you teach orchestra, drama, etc w/o a group? Art courses require studios. Math courses require that the teacher be proficient in the subject. Etc.

What exactly is wrong with learning the material along with your child if it is a subject that you have no experience in?

It's not the same as teaching a course you have a great depth and breadth of knowledge in.

Most homeschoolers use curriculums with teacher's editions complete with all of the answers, just the same as schools. If you can READ you can homeschool!

Certainly, if you can use a computer, which obviously you can or you wouldn't be on CD, you can teach your kids what you know. I also am self-taught with the computer. I realize my limitations. I can't teach my kids what I don't know myself. Yes, we could all go research it, but that's not quite the same, and you might not learn much that way. There are times with the computer that I have to consult my DH, who is a computer professional's professional. The fact that people go to college for four years to learn computer science should tell you that it's not just looking stuff up online and using a teacher's guide.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-20-2008 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education