Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,585 times

Advertisements

When I took IQ tests in school, I was scored at the genius level. But when my report cards came I got mostly C's and D's. I worked hard at school and had tutoring and classes on how to test well. I always completed my assignments on time and participated in class. I paid attention to the teacher and was really interested in most of my classes.

But when the test was offered I usually got a D or an F because my memory was so bad I mostly just guessed. I was so terrible at memorizing the material. The only reason I got C's was that I participated in class and did my homework and finished my term papers.

Can you relate? Are there many real smart kids in school with a high IQ who have terrible memories? What are done about people like me now days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM

88 posts, read 273,039 times
I was going to respond earlier, but I forgot..

I did/do have a bad memory. Perhaps where it hurt me the most was with trying to remember higher math equations. My kids are little, so I don't really know what accomodations could be made, but can/do some public schools offer extra credit or, in some cases, alternate testing methods (essay or discussions)? Perhaps in serious cases, private schools with different learning methods would be appropriate?

Speaking of memorizing, I seem to recall (there goes my memory again)that at one point, schools wanted to get away from focusing on rote memory and teach more thinking/analytical skills? Is this still the case?

By the way, before I forget, are there certain activities/games that can teach our brains how to remember better?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
im going to say im very stupid. I scored a 97 on the IQ test. I don't mean 97%, i mean my IQ level is 97 out of 120 being normal.

IQ test's are pointless when you've never learned the items on the test. The more you learn and retake the IQ test, magically, your IQ starts going up.

To get back on topic, i have the worst memory then any normal person. I have one step up from an Alzheimer patient. Depending on my sleep level and how i feel is my memory level. I can't remember the day, the date, what i did yesterday, and sometimes past memories. Am i getting senile at an early age? maybe.

I am currently going to school as a undergrad science student. What has been helping me in these classes is writing down everything. If i read something, i will never remember it. If i write what im reading, i'll remember it. Writing out a math problem, figuring it out, helps me remember.

In science, i ask the teacher what i should be learning in these chapters, good teachers usually help you with that. Then you go over key terms and write out your notes. By the time you need to take an actual quiz or test, you won't even look at your notes. Only if they allow notes that is.

hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
IQ is a mesure of acedemic success over the next year of your life. Overall, it is a fairly meaningless statistic. The thing that matters is what you do with your life. (I am saying this as another high IQ person, if it makes any difference to you). I have been in courses where people with an extremely high IQ and an extreme potential do poorly because they do not know how to apply their potential abilities. Back in high school I skipped two years of math, and someone who did the exact same thing as me had a very average IQ, but worked hard and knew how to study. I would argue that she is smarter than the the high-IQ person who can't do well.

A bad memory is not an excuse. Learn new systems, put the time into developing your memory. A high IQ never excuses poor performance. When you get out of school and start a job, your boss isn't going to care what your IQ is, he is going to care that you can do well at your job. Right now your job is to be a student, and that means you need to find a way to do well at it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I honestly don't mean it that way. I used the same excuse for less than stellar grades in high school and college, when for me, it was honestly just an excuse. Don't accept excuses for gaps in your acedemic or professional resume.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
im going to say im very stupid. I scored a 97 on the IQ test. I don't mean 97%, i mean my IQ level is 97 out of 120 being normal.
I am sorry to inform you that an IQ of 97 is almost smack dab in the middle of the 'normal' range. Now, whether or not you are stupid is a whole 'nother issue

Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
I have a weird memory.. I always did GREAT in school, but not because I studied or anything. I would always go to class, do good, and then forget everything the next day. I mean it, I really couldn't remember any question the teacher would ask that would pertain to the day before. Before tests, people would usually ask me questions and I could never figure them out, or answer them.. but as soon as I saw the question on the test, I was able to get it correctly. I don't know what this is, but it never really bothered me, because I never did bad because of it.. strange..

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
If you actually LEARN the material, and actually learn things that are applicable to your life, as opposed to just memorizing random information, you probably will have better success. Of course I suppose schools don't care about kids actually learning the material... as long as they know what bubbles to fill in based on the trivia they are testing on!

I learned a great way to memorize random tidbits of information when I was probably 10 or 11 years old. My dad was into this author... I can't remember his name (how's that for irony, ha!), but he assigned each number a letter sound, and from there you used visualization to correlate a list of items to their corresponding letters. I know that number 1 was T, and the picture was "tie," and 2 was Noah (like Noah's ark), 3 was Ma... so for the first item in a series, you'd picture it wearing a necktie, the second marching onto the ark, etc. It worked well to help me to memorize things for tests, ace the tests, and then promptly forget. I used the method well and became a member of the National Honor Society in high school. I don't remember any of the minutae now, though... though I guess that's not the goal anyway.

On another note, I think that 100 is an average IQ, not 120.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

IQ test's are pointless when you've never learned the items on the test. The more you learn and retake the IQ test, magically, your IQ starts going up.

To get back on topic, i have the worst memory then any normal person. I have one step up from an Alzheimer patient. Depending on my sleep level and how i feel is my memory level. I can't remember the day, the date, what i did yesterday, and sometimes past memories. Am i getting senile at an early age? maybe.

I am currently going to school as a undergrad science student. What has been helping me in these classes is writing down everything. If i read something, i will never remember it. If i write what im reading, i'll remember it. Writing out a math problem, figuring it out, helps me remember.

In science, i ask the teacher what i should be learning in these chapters, good teachers usually help you with that. Then you go over key terms and write out your notes. By the time you need to take an actual quiz or test, you won't even look at your notes. Only if they allow notes that is.

hope this helps.
Just to give a boost to your morale, NORMAL IQ is 100, not 120. Only about 1% of the population has an IQ of over 135 or over.
www.extremeintellect.com

Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Just to give a boost to your morale, NORMAL IQ is 100, not 120. Only about 1% of the population has an IQ of over 135 or over.
www.extremeintellect.com
To give a further boost, IQ tests are meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education