Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of classes out there that have only a midterm and final and the midterm is after the drop date. Hose the midterm and you are toast for the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencoo22 View Post
it a science class and he skips the lecture classes and just gives us a lab without explaining it or lecturing about ANY of the info he cancel our class a lot and just tells us to read without givin us assignments or anything its weird and frustratiing...u cant just skip the lecture part of the class...weird
So this professor teaches both the lecture and lab component? What level and subgroup of biology? Bio 101 for majors, Bio 101 for nonmajors, Advanced Anatomy/Physiology 301?

So is he just telling you, "ok learn the models and slides for chapter 5" and it's stuff you've never seen or heard about?

Has he missed more than 3 classes without providing either a substitute or a home/library assignment? Are their official notes outside the door saying class was cancelled? If not, go to your dept head immediately!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
If he's cancelling class EVER, then go to the department head. I am a professor and you can't cancel class (with the exception of an unforseen emergency) for any reason. For instance, I have strep and I get to go and talk for the next 2.5 hours because my class has an exam next week. They would kill me if I skipped class!!!
Honestly, you are paying for the professor to be there for the time period (e.g., Mondays from 4-7) and they need to be there from Mondays from 4-7. And, they need to meet the basic requirements for teaching. Also, remember there is strength in numbers. Perhaps some of your classmates will join this venture with you.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 20,097 times
I did...it was a math class. I called the math department and explained the situation. I asked to be put in the same class taught by a different teacher. At first they were hesitant, because the class was 1/2 over; but the teacher let me in ...and was surprised I did so well. I ended up getting an A because the other teacher was awesome! Try talking to somebody at the head of the department of the type of class: math, english, etc. They should let youdo it...it is your money that pays for the class! Good Luck!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
I had a bad one for History of Islam. The students asked lots of questions and he always turned it back on us and said "what do you think" and never answered the questions. It was like he had his mind set on Americans and was more fascinated with listening to us talk than teach. Those that were in the class were genuinely interested in learning the history of Islam and all we got was one discussion about how the Muslim religion came about. When we asked questions, they never got answered. Very frustrating and often class was cancelled. I think we all eventually went and complained to the head of the department and he wasn't asked back. We had no midterm or final...we weren't taught anything. It really felt like he was putting himself in an environment where he could just listen to us talk and learn about us. It was wierd.
The other professor that I had and I actually approached taught an ESL class. The whole class hated it. She didn't know what was on the syllabus, let class out way too early and we got nothing out of the class. No readings out of the book were required, we had one day that we discussed actual content, otherwise we played mindless games that I am sure had a point but it was never brough up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education