Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Local Tax Revenue way down, should we:
Raise taxes to keep school funding at current levels 5 45.45%
Keep taxes where they are at and risk lowering the quality of our schools 4 36.36%
I do not know 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

America is facing a huge economic crisis. We need to cut spending significantly on our personal expenses (to save for the quickly coming rainy day) and cut government expenditures at both the local and federal levels.

A significant number of communities are reaching a crisis level in local revenue. There are two choices:

Raise taxes in a recession- in a time where people are making less and more of us are living pay check to paycheck and can not afford higher taxes.

Or significantly lower local financial government support of schools. (and accept higher class size and run down schools)

Are you ready for some tough times at your local school?

Last edited by Refugee56; 09-26-2008 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
If it were put to a referendum, I wonder how many people would vote to cut school revenue if they believed it would decrease the quality of the schools. I'm not talking about a referendum on raising taxes for a new sports complex or something, but rather sustaining things at their current level.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I was ready for some tough times when we as a state voted for Prop 187. Maybe the rest of the states will try to see it our way now that things are getting sticky elsewhere too.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but having been born and raised in CA it is hard not to deal with the elephant in the room.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Not supporting schools means throwing our country's future away. I'm not willing to do that.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Not supporting schools means throwing our country's future away. I'm not willing to do that.
I agree. Cut something else.

If we can't even educate our children, then where will we be in the future? (and some say we are not even getting the job done now)

Plus, underfunding schools and making them poorer than they already are is not going to save people money, it will just be spent out of their pockets, after tax, for private schools.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
btw, you missed something else in your poll,

"cut something else"

It doesn't have to be, raise taxes, or decrease funding for schools. There are other options.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
btw, you missed something else in your poll,

"cut something else"

It doesn't have to be, raise taxes, or decrease funding for schools. There are other options.

Exactly. And how many studies do we have to do to prove increasing spending does not automatically make the students do better?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:54 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times
In our County we have had rapidly dropping home values of up to 40%. So the assessed value of our homes is way down. A number of homes are sitting empty after foreclosure and are off the tax rolls. Commerical property is way down. There is rapidly decreasing sales tax revenue. The County would have to raise the property tax rate substantively to keep revenues where they are. Even more to pay for increased costs related to County employees salary increases and added costs related to illegal immigration, english as a second language, and health care costs.

It is very hard politically to raise taxes on people in a deep economic slowdown. People can not afford it.

People say cut something else other than schools. With Schools 65% of the budget, that is hard. Where else do you want the government to cut? Police, Fire?

Schools have to do more with much less in today's hard times.

Last edited by Refugee56; 09-27-2008 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

People say cut something else other than schools. With Schools 65% of the budget, that is hard. Where else do you want the government to cut? Police, Fire?

Schools have to do more with much less in today's hard times.
I agree. If police or fire were cut, the impact would be disastrous.

Our taxes increase every year. Know why? Because the teachers want more and more. To satisfy the teachers, they already cut foreign language, transportation, lots of things. Every year they take from other programs AND raise the taxes, to give more to the teachers. They ALWAYS hold out until they get what they want.

Turn me loose with the budget and I'd do some cutting. With the exception of the poorer inner city schools and those in very poor areas, schools spend WAY more than they need to.

There are special aides for a HUGE number of students and for each teacher. I'd start there. I'd cut the waste of what sits around not used that the school just HAD to have. I'd cut staff so the teachers are responsible for the kids for the majority of the day. I'd cut some of the options in the cafeteria. The list goes on, and on, and on..

They raise taxes for schools under the guise of giving the kids a better education, but it really doesn't. My daughter had less of an education in grade school than the generation before her, and that generation received less of an education than the generation before it.

And schools demand more, and more, and more. FOR WHAT??? So more and more kids can receive less and less of an education???

Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
America is facing a huge economic crisis. We need to cut spending significantly on our personal expenses (to save for the quickly coming rainy day) and cut government expenditures at both the local and federal levels.

A significant number of communities are reaching a crisis level in local revenue. There are two choices:

Raise taxes in a recession- in a time where people are making less and more of us are living pay check to paycheck and can not afford higher taxes.

Or significantly lower local financial government support of schools. (and accept higher class size and run down schools)

Are you ready for some tough times at your local school?
I agree with this. cut funding to schools. Dumb down a already declining intellectual base amongst our citizenry. This way, when things get better economically we will be at more of a disadvantage as compared to the rest of the world in terms of inferior work force than we already are. Greaaaat plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education