Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM

278 posts, read 802,445 times

Advertisements

That's too bad about hating school, I know I wasn't too fond of it when I was there, for a lot of the same reasons. But have faith, the closer you get to your high school graduation, the better it gets! And college is a blast! So hang in there guys, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I still would battle it out with the teachers and let them know how you feel. I have intervened on my kids behalf before and gotten the results I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
Wow 3 hours of homework? Im sorry but that is insane. I never had that much in high school with the exception of a few days before midterms, finals or some major test or if I was absent and missed school then had lots of make up HW. Normally I get between 15 and 60 minutes of homework everyday. Rarely will I have a day with no homework, but its not so uncommon to have no homework in one of the classes but in all 5 classes?

In elementary school I think I had between zero and 30 minutes of homework. In middle school it was a little longer and high school was double the homework of elementary school.

For the really bad days where ill have too much homework, I just dont do it all, it isnt possible anyway. What I would do is the homework that is the easiest first. I would complete all multiple choice homework, guessing on many questions. On homework that involves studying, I will study 10 minutes instead of 30 minutes then study a few minutes right before the test, this works quite well anyway. Also depending on the class, homework is usually worth between 10-25% of your grade. In classes where homework is worth only 15% or less, I often dont fully complete it and my grade doesnt really suffer anyway, ill lose 2% to 5% which isnt a full letter grade so I still end up with a B or C in class which is fine. I graduated high school just fine with 2.7 gpa I think and went to college for 2 years.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,581 times
My husband and I were just talking about this last night. Although our son is only 3 so we don't have to worry about it yet, but I have friends with kids in kindergarten that have homework. That is just wrong. 3 hours a night is not going to fly with me. If the school gives my child that much then I will be doing half of it. I will only stand for 1 hour a night. If they don't like it then I'll home school.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
I personally think merit awards can get nasty...in sports, if you are a high scorer, it is obvious, but some students are so quiet, they go unnoticed. That was my daughter. She was so always helping other kids too, one year she had a friend who had a horrible home life, parents in the middle of a ugly divorce, both alcoholics, frequent visits from security in our development for domestic violence. This poor boy was failing, and I would have him come over, feed him and they would do their homework and she would study with him. She was the reason he ended up passing that year. She didn't get any recognition for what she did from anybody. The Mom had mentioned it to the guidance staff that my daughter helped him about 4 nights a week for hours, but nobody said anything to her. She got her own personal gratification.
I have had the same thing in the owrkplace, a bank I worked for had these stupid little certificates that anyone could nominate you for. Some people had 10 of them plastered up around their work station, while other hard workers had none. It was just plain childish, and caused resentment and negativity in the workplace. We also had sales quotas, the highest sale people had their techniques at cheating, everyone knew it, but they still got awards...
I could rant on an on!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,097 times
I have way too much to comment on this subject , but one example that really blew my britches off was..

First day of second grade for my son. Homework assignment was to list a piece of sports equiptment from A to Z. Now wouldn't you think that something like animals or food, things that a second grader might have a bit if knowledge about would of been more appropriate? We worked on it all hours through the night, internet searches, phone calls, everything you could imagine. SECOND GRADE
I admit, I did most of it because he got extremely frustrated. And I had a hard time.
I did approach the teacher about this, and her reply was "she wanted to see how much effort the PARENTS were going to put into helping thier child".
It was just plain absurd to me.
Then, in middle school, my son complained about the hours of homework assigned by one teacher, and his reply was "school is not for eveyone". So now I have a burnt out child where school is concerned, and an authority figure telling him that school is not for everyone. I think the surrounding neighborhood heard me the day I met with that teacher !
Now we are into High School and I am still battling the "school isn't for everyone" issue.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
My husband and I were just talking about this last night. Although our son is only 3 so we don't have to worry about it yet, but I have friends with kids in kindergarten that have homework. That is just wrong. 3 hours a night is not going to fly with me. If the school gives my child that much then I will be doing half of it. I will only stand for 1 hour a night. If they don't like it then I'll home school.

Sorry but your son wont learn anything if you do his homework and also thats cheating. You can tutor him but he has to solve it on his own. Please read my long post above about my tips to shortening the homework time.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Some of these monkey assisgnments astound me, sports equipment from a - z!!!!???? And what did the child learn?? Isn't this supposed to be about learning?? I can remember many assisgnments that took long hours, sometimes were an expense, and nothing, in my opinion was learned. In M.S. my daughter had to make a poster of seeds and label them. They were told they could purchase seeds. So, we bought seeds, spent about $12.00, but considering that about 300 kids had the same assignment, that $3,600. spent on seeds in our rural community where 1/2 the people live below the poverty line!! Another assignment I remember was making a chart using Disney Characters with initials that was supposed to be like the periodic table used in Chemistry Class. Now, how utterly stupid is that!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:26 AM

I have refused to do homework that was plain silly and had no education value. I didnt care if I got an F on that asignment, it had no relevence anyway

Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,046 times
Just wanted to let everyone know that I called her teacher at home this morning, she told me that before she took her leave, she put together a weeks worth of work for the sub to go by while she was gone.
I expressed my concern about how long she had been working on homework, getting it now on weekends, and going with out supper last night, her comment to me was, to talk with the sub, since she left everything in her hands, I said they play games in class and then get all the homework sent home to do, she still said to talk with the sub.
I hate to do this because I feel that maybe I am the only one complaining, since we are stupid for pushing our child to get good grades, maybe other parents either don't care about getting all the homework done, or they have smart kids where they can get the homework done quicker.
The sub teacher has her child in the class, so therefore she can help her child, or the child knows what really needs to be done in order to get a good grade. This has me steamed, what would some of you do??????
Would you say anything, or would you just give up????????
Another thing, my husband today says''''' he hasn't heard our daughter complain about her homework, or the student of the month, DUH'''''' children tend to go to the parent he or she feels will listen to them better, our child has always came to me, she says her dad will not listen, and when she has talked to him, he says he don't remember her saying anything.
Well have a Happy Valentines Day, and I will be waiting to hear back from you. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
3 hours of homework is WAY too much IMHO Yorkie, specially for somebody in 6th (if i read correctly) grade. Does she have a problem with the subjects, or is it quite literally she knows what shes doing and it is just taking that long ?
I know when i was in school there was times when it took me three hours to do my homework, simply because i didnt understand parts of it. I had one of them teachers who made you write out the question to help with the answer, never worked.

Id say an hour a day is healthy amount of time for homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education