Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM

278 posts, read 802,445 times

Advertisements

If that kind of homework load continues, I would go down and speak to the principal. I have done it before, and I'm not normally a pushy type of person, but Yorkiemom, if you feel that things are not right, go down to school and get in their face a bit. This was happening to one of my sons when he was in first grade, I went down to school and complained. Turns out I was like the 6th parent that complained about the homework, and more came after me. The result was that the huge amount of homework stopped, and that teacher wasn't at that school the following year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,046 times
Just a quick question, can parents go and sit in the childs classroom for the day? Or is every state different????? I would like to know, if I can, then I plan on being in the classroom on Monday morning. Thanks!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Just a quick question, can parents go and sit in the childs classroom for the day? Or is every state different????? I would like to know, if I can, then I plan on being in the classroom on Monday morning. Thanks!!!!!!
I think every state is different. I know here in Wyoming I can do that. The only stipulation is I have to sign in at the office first so that they know there is an adult in the school that is not staff.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:50 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,121 times
I would definitely recommend that you speak with your daughter's teacher. I'm a teacher myself, and I welcome questions and comments from parents and imagine any decent teacher would as well. I always hope that both parents and students are comfortable speaking with me about their child's progress or any other concerns. The homework assignments do sound rather excessive, and maybe the different teachers need to coordinate better...I would think they already work together on such things but maybe they've had some miscommunications recently.

Parents are more than welcome to sit in their child's classroom, and again I would question any teacher that says otherwise. I would notify the teacher at least a day ahead of time, just so he/she will be aware that you'll be sitting in on a certain day and so you aren't planning to come at a bad time (assemblies, field trips, any other special times that might interfere with class). Most teachers would be fine with you just showing up and sitting in, but it's courteous to check with the teacher first.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Thank you sprtsluvr8, it is nice to see a teacher on board here. I have called her teacher at home, she said to go in and talk to the sub, and explain my thoughts to her as far as the homework goes.
I just don't want to sound like a whinner, but when my daughter says they play games all day in school and then brings home all that homework, something is not right.
I would love to sit in just to see what they do all day, and see how the other kids handle the work load, maybe some kids can handle the load better then others, but if that was the case I would worry about children being left behind. I was also told by someone who works in our school dist that the no child left behind law means what it says, if the child can not keep up, well then here in Minnesota anyways, they just give up on the child, and move on with the ones who can keep up.
I know if it was my child they tried to pull that crap with, they would not get by with it. Just thought I would throw that one out there to think about. Thanks, Yorkie

Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,121 times
I doubt anyone would think you're whining about this, especially when you are simply staying involved in her education and ensuring that she is being treated fairly. It's great for parents to be interested enough to question assignments. Too many times parents don't pay enough attention to their kids in general to have any idea what they're learning. I would rather have them involved...it doesn't hurt for a teacher to be in touch with parents to help keep kids in line either. My best discipline method is "How about I give your mom a call?" It almost always get kids back on track!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I doubt anyone would think you're whining about this, especially when you are simply staying involved in her education and ensuring that she is being treated fairly. It's great for parents to be interested enough to question assignments. Too many times parents don't pay enough attention to their kids in general to have any idea what they're learning. I would rather have them involved...it doesn't hurt for a teacher to be in touch with parents to help keep kids in line either. My best discipline method is "How about I give your mom a call?" It almost always get kids back on track!
Thank you so much for saying that, in my childs school, they hate it when I start asking questions. Like, my child has speech, she is to have it three times a week, I question the speech teacher if she misses one day, I want to know why, the state is giving the school extra money for her to get help with it.
The speech teacher then takes it out on my child because I make an issue of it. Some teachers and schools want the parents involved, and others want us to stay away. My child likes it when I am involved, but the school keeps me from being a room mother, or helping out with anything that involves my child or her class. I will be so glad to move away from Minnesota, that way maybe the new school will love it when a parent wants to volunteer her time.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
OMG, you have every right to complain when your daughter misses a day of speech. Like you said the school gets funds for providing this for those kids that need it. You also have the right to show up and observe your childs class. So this is a sub??? Then I would have SERIOUS issues if all the sub is doing is letting them play games and no school work is getting done at all. Just a tidbit though and who knows if this is the case. My sis is a teacher and out on leave right now. Her principal selects longterm subs and the one in her class right now is REALLY sucking up trying to get a full time job as a teacher. She is trying to win over the kids and parents along w/ the principal. Not giving much homework, easy work for easy grades, etc. Then running around gossiping w/ the other teachers and reporting it to the principal who happens to love this kind of thing (sad but true). The principal may not be aware that the kids are sitting around playing all day so I would go talk to them along w/ some of the other teachers in that grade level. Find out who the team leader is for that grade (if they have them there as we do here in our schools).

As for the amount of homework, that is assinine. I have a child also in the 6th grade and we have never had that amount of homework. This child has been in a magnet school for gifted & talented since kindergarten and contrary to most peoples thought they have less homework than kids in mainstream schools. I'd say tops she has had is an hour in one night. They do a lot of projects in class and involving team work where w/ each new project they have a different position on the team and duties to perform. Her teachers have always been very intuned w/ what is going on and they even try to keep the homework spread out amoungst the classes so that they don't get a ton of homework all in one night in every subject. This year in middle school one teacher tries not to give homework on nights she knows there is a football game as most of the kids will be at it either playing or in another position. Same goes when there is a big band, choir or orchestra concert, even in elem the teachers all knew when these events were and did not assign much homework if any. A lot of these kids ARE in extra curriculiar activities like band, orchestra, choir, drama, etc and since 4th grade they are REQUIRED to be in one of them thru the school. Actually on nights when there is a concert and they are leaving straight from after school they are not allowed to bring their backpacks home or depending on the event to school that day.

You mean they won't let parents be room reps? Or do they hand pick them? Geez. I know some schools only have like 2 per class, like my youngest childs school that is not a magnet. My other childs school had about 6 room reps per class, basically anyone who signed up to be one was then a lead rep for each room. It was GREAT as we would get together for the entire grade of room reps and plan parties and outings for them. Good luck and I hope things improve for your daughter.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,096 times
My daughter was given this much homework 2 years ago. I went and told the teacher that it was too much, so she started asking around and found out that ALL the kids were spending 3 hours a night on just math. The teacher tried to cut back, but she failed. So I told my daughter to do 20 minutes worth of math and then stop. She was horrified and thought she was goig to be in so much trouble. But we went with it and I refused to let her do more homework than that.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Well today was better, she had two pages of math, 20 minutes of reading, and then studying her spelling words. She is pretty much done, other then going back over the couple words she missed.

I will tell you more as to why her school don't care for me. I was a AM/PM morning and noon supervisor, we watched the kids in the morning, and again at lunch time. I also did the Para job working with the handicapped (slow children) a little boy loved me, everyone else he would hit them, I don't know why that was, but I always got a hug from him and the other kids.
I also gave the kids in 3rd though 6th grade the Minnesota MAP test that were done all on the computer. That was a fun job. I did really well with all the jobs, my main one being the first, other ones were fill ins and when they did the testing.
My daughter of course went to that school, she is shy and liked to hang around with her Mom before school started outside in the mornings, a lot of kids liked to hang with us supervisors and visit, it helped pass along the time.

For the lunch hour, the kids had certain rules to follow, one being they could save a place across from where they were sitting for a friend, I was doing the same for everyone, but a girl in my daughters class, who is jealous of my child because her best friend is a cousin of this other girl who hates my child, confusing I know, so she (the mean girl) was trying to save places at a table for eight people, she told my child she could not sit at the table.
Now I didn't care if it was my child or not, kids are not going to get by with being mean to other kids if I am around, it will not happen, I went over to this girl, told her the rules nicely, and said she could only save a spot across from her, I also told her not to woory about her cousin and my child being friends, because no matter what they were going to stay cousins. I thought everything went fine and well, until later when my child came home, I got a phone call from the mean childs Mother, she said her child has been crying since she came home over what I had did, I explained everything to the Mother, and I said I had to follow the rules, because it was my job.

I did not hear any more until two weeks before school was going to start, I got called into the office thinking it was to go over any new changes, yeah right, the Principal said I was being let go due to conflict of interest, because with my child going to the same school it was not working out.
I told him that I have always treated every child the same and my child was no different, I had other supervisors to back me up, he told me to go and work at a different school in the dist. he said he would put in a good word for me, because he didn't have a problem with my job, yeah right, I was steamed after not getting on at the two schools he sent me to, I hired a lawyer because it was crap.

My lawyer asked for anything that was on my file, they told him they had nothing in my file, but the Super-intendent said I was preforming below standards, my lawyer said it was nothing but bull s**t, and said it smelled fishy. Told me it wasn't worth working for a place like that, and they didn't deserve to have a honest person like me working for them. Ever since then it has been a battle, other then my childs last two teachers the school here can go to you know where. If you have questions feel free to ask. Thanks, Yorkie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education