Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,201 times

Advertisements

We made it through all the homework, Thank God tomorrow is Friday, and then Monday they have off for presidents day.
I hope the sub don't send them home with a bunch over the three day weekend. If so she can just do half this time. She needs a break toooooo.
Thanks for so much input, and help, suggestions etc. I will keep you posted and will plan on sitting in her class room for the day. I have to check the lunch menu first, see what sounds good. Have a good night. Yorkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 PM

I am so happy, no homework for the weekend, someone else must have complained. I guess we will be lost with not having any to do.lol I hope to sit in one day next week just to get a feel for what they do all day. Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 AM

617 posts, read 2,821,914 times
Too much homework is a waste of time. I think an overload of homework has a negative effect on childrens' learning. Kids also need time to be kids. I would actually prefer it, if all the homework for the entire week, was given out at the beginning of the week, with a checklist. Then, If my kids wanted to spend one day doing all the homework for the week they could do so, and they could play the rest of the time. It would teach kids how to budget their time. I think when there is loads of homework everyday, a lot of smart kids get bored with all the busy work, and don't bother. Then these extremely smart kids, get brushed aside, or evaluated as having ADD, or ADHD, or even get put into easier classes. I work in the Special Education field, and have seen it a million times over again. Brilliant kids get put into special day classes, because they are bored with all the busy work, so they don't bother with the passing letter grade. But ask them anything about the subject they are failing, and they can tell you. Give them a test, and they will get 100 percent. But ask them to do homework, and tell them it is a huge part of their over all grade, and they wont give a damn.

Also... some of the best teachers I ever had, gave us classwork, and whatever we didn't finish in class, became our homework. I always received top grades in classes like that, because I enjoyed it, and wasn't so stressed out, because I had time for extra hobbies, and to unwind from all the school pressures.

Life skills, are far more important than homework. I have met people who could tell you everything there is to know about a certain sport, because they keep track of stats, and have studied it through books. But all the book study, doesn't mean you could physically go in, and play that particular sport like a pro.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM

I read someone else's thread on one of the other sites, they brought back so many old memories of what it was like to be in kid in the 30's ,40's, 50's ,60's, and 70's, we really had the life.
I never remember having so much homework that we could never run and play out side, it was fun just to be a kid in that day and age. Now everything is fast paced, no time to do anything because we are in a rush- rush world, we can't slow down for anything for fear we will get behind, and the same goes for the school and homework, you stop for a minute, and heavens to Betsy you will never get caught back up.
I also remember being out of school for a week, when I got back I maybe if even lucky had three small things to do and I would be caught up. Now days you miss one day, and it seems you should throw in the towel because you can never get caught back up until the end of the week.
The other thing that amazes me, is when I was in 6th grade we were learning in math, so of you remember..... +,-,* anyway you get the picture, well now it is high school stuff with fractions, Algebra, Geometry, you name it they are doing it, and the world wonders why so many young children are having babies, and we have so many young people committing suicide, it is because of peer pressure and having to live fast paced.
I wish kids could be just that, (kids) they are only young once, and we have to watch them be pushed into adulthood at an early age. I even remember believing in Santa at least until high school, they tell our kids when they are in third grade that there is no Santa, what gives them that right????????
I think it should be the parent that tells there kids about certain things, not the school. That is just some of my opinion, what is yours??????????

Old 02-17-2007, 12:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
"I would actually prefer it, if all the homework for the entire week, was given out at the beginning of the week, with a checklist. Then, If my kids wanted to spend one day doing all the homework for the week they could do so, and they could play the rest of the time. It would teach kids how to budget their time."

This is what they do at my youngest childs school. She comes home on Monday w/ her "homework folder" and all homework in it for the week. It is due on Thursday unless there was no school on Monday then it is due Friday. I've been teaching her to get as much done early in the week as soon as possible that way if something comes up she does not have to press to finish it. My oldest child gets homework that most times they may have two days to finish. Their math homework is typically due the next day as it is usually a worksheet that goes over what they did in class that day. Homework grades also count for very little of their grade. Then at her school for science and social studies they have a college schedule where as they alternate days for these subjects and spend two class periods in that one subject then on Friday they have both but for only one class period each. The teachers said they like it this way better that way they can actually get more accomplished IN class and if there is homework they have two days to finish it and don't have homework in BOTH on the same day.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,733 times
I would agree. To much homework. I hear from the schools.. family,family, kids need activities, kids needs friends, kids need 8 plus hours of sleep. I have had it with our school. Very disgusted. No child left behind? I have talked to 4 people within our school about the amount of homework my child gets. Nothing..... Its sad for our children. I do not want to go on and on. I just wanted to let others know there not alone. Yorkie_mom, our school does not care for us either, and everyday my child comes home and boy oh boy does it show.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
I have to say first that in MOST cases with homework a teacher assigns what ever homework and there are kids in the class that take 5 minutes to get it done and some that take 3 hours to get it done (Yorkie--obviously your dd just had a LOT to do this time) so teachers have to figure out how to challenge the top students while no making it TOO much for those that struggle. It isn't easy. I have 2 6th graders and they have never had that much homework in one night.

There is also the case where parents complain about homework because they can't find the time to get it done between basketball practice, dance lessons, piano lessons, martial arts, etc, etc, etc. Kids are in WAY, WAY too many things these days. Then factor in the number of kids that are in day care and don't get home until 6:00, eat dinner, go to practice of whatever, THEN get started on homework. I find that most parents fall into this category vs Yorkie's where it is just too much homework vs having too many other things going on to get the work done. I have actually had parents say to me that they just can't ever get their kids' homework done because that would mean they wouldn't be able to go to baseball or football or what ever sport (notice that the PARENT can't get the work done).

There are plenty of teachers that equate more homework with more learning and most of the pressure for the kids to perform has come directly from the parents. On another board I frequent you should read all the complaints about the occasional fun movie being shown in class, say as a reward for the whole class accomplishing a goal and then in the next breath complain that their child has too much homework and they should have more FUN. Most of the complaints I hear about homework stem directly from the interference on the PARENTS life vs the child's.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:46 PM

46 posts, read 438,522 times
Question Warning: Not a Parent!

Can I be real with everyone? I think parents who complain about too much homework and too many books in the bookbag are a detriment to our future Americans. I really do. Have you realized that our kids are going to be competing for jobs against people from around the globe! We are complaining now about not enough Americans are going into engineering and science majors. And corporations complain about not enough qualified candidates for jobs, thus the need for HB1's. (I have a bigger bone to pick re: globalization but that would be a political discussion). I guess what I am trying to say is that if we dont educate our children, while they are children, to compete in a globalized workforce; they will not be equiped with the education to succede in the future.

No one can say what is too much homework for your child. But just remember times were different when we were growing up. You didn't have to work with less, to produce more, in less time. We were not competing with the entire worlds labor market. We didn't have to worry about all the production/factory jobs moving to India and China. To get a decent job you need advanced skills, analytical and communication skills. Very few jjobs are out there for the X-box champion (there are a few, gaming design is a huge industry)!

How many of you work in Corporate America or own your own business? If you work outside of the home you have to realize how much information you get on a daily basis at work. How much you have to learn in less time; How much you need to synthesize, produce, deliver in less time. It's only natural that our kids would start learning this from an early age.

I can't say that I can relate, and it must be difficult as a parent to see your children working this hard. But they always say kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit. They are more resilient and pick things up very easily. That's why you can learn 2 or 3 languages as a child very quickly, without a lot of effort...whereas an adult will take 7 years to become fluent in a 2nd language, and this is in an immersion setting. Kids learn very easily....

Anyway, my $0.02

Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 PM

606 posts, read 698,884 times
she spent too much time,obviously.
when i was a kid,I was having too much homoework.And most of them turned to be useless when I rethink about my childhood.I wish I could play more at that time.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM

46 posts, read 438,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
she spent too much time,obviously.
when i was a kid,I was having too much homoework.And most of them turned to be useless when I rethink about my childhood.I wish I could play more at that time.
But it's not the actual homework people. Wow, it's amazing when I look around my work place and see so many people that are not from the US in charge....and I take a look at our own kids in the streets, malls, with Xbox, ipods, and cell phones. Time will tell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education