Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,176,425 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to ask some parents the question ,as to how long is enough for school homework????? My daughter is in sixth grade, she has been working on her homework since she came home, so far it's been three hours, and no end in sight.
She had five pages of math, 20 minutes of reading, one page of language, study for a social studies test tomorrow, plus study spelling words. I also forgot she has to turn in a civil war project on friday.
So is there any rules to homework, or is every teacher different? I was told that the Sub teacher (her teacher just had a baby) lets them play games in class, and she said that is why she has so much homework, now I thought that is what school is for, since when did it get switched around, we should get the play time with our kids, not the part where we have to be the teacher.
My daughter is on the A AND B HONOR ROLL, but she seems to never get the student of the month, since she is shy. I really wonder about the school system these days. If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them. Thanks, Yorkie!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,159,796 times
Well, I am a mother and now a grande and frankly I think 3 hours, plus, is too much homework.

When I experienced this with my own children and it was not lack of their trying (and they generally were As) I went to the school to discuss the protocol for homework.

Occasionally, they would have teacher conferences and confer on how much each teacher was giving and sort it out but sometimes they just told me it was impossible to control. Can be discouraging!

Three hours is 50% of the school day; doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm old!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,784,896 times
My daughter, who is in 9th grade spends 3 hours many a night on homework. She is going to a Preparatory H.S., but I do feel sorry for her just about every night!
I am 47 and I can clearly remember having a discussion with a teacher when I was in school after the whole class was moaning when homework was assigned. His reply was, "This will only take you about 1/2 an hour to do!" We then explained that if every one of our 8 teachers assigned 1/2 hr of homework...well you do the math!
My daughter is not in any after school activities, I don't know how she would do this if she was in a sport.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM

We just had the conference thing, she wasn't getting bombed with the homework then, but I agree, I think kids should be allowed to be kids. She is still at it four hours and fifteen minutes later, still no end in sight. I haven't even gotten to where I can help her with the spelling words this week.

I was thinking of calling the real teacher at home, and asking her questions to how much work the kids were to have while she was on leave. Her teacher very seldom gave any homework for the weekends, now!!!!!!!! We get it on the weekends also, no break in sight.

Maybe I am to old myself, but I am sick of homework, and I am not in class for another eight hours besides. I know time out has certain time limits and rules on the age of children, so what about homework??????? Some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
My daughter, who is in 9th grade spends 3 hours many a night on homework. She is going to a Preparatory H.S., but I do feel sorry for her just about every night!
I am 47 and I can clearly remember having a discussion with a teacher when I was in school after the whole class was moaning when homework was assigned. His reply was, "This will only take you about 1/2 an hour to do!" We then explained that if every one of our 8 teachers assigned 1/2 hr of homework...well you do the math!
My daughter is not in any after school activities, I don't know how she would do this if she was in a sport.
My daughter is in dance on Monday nights from 6:00 to 7:00, and Monday it is overload on the homework. I have also heard the saying about it should only take so long, I say bull, they are not here to see how hard our children have to work to get it done. I really feel sorry for kids these days, and I thought I had it bad. I just turned 48, so I am in the same range of age with you.

What do they do at school all day since they bring all of this homework home????? I also would like to know if any of the schools where your children go to, have the student of the month, where they choose a student from each class, for being a good boy or girl for the month.
I think it may help some kids with low self esteem, but when it is given to the ones who think they are better then the rest, I think it really puts self esteem levels in some of the children at a all time low. In my daughters school they pick the same ones every year, my daughter has gotten it once in six years, it brought her self esteem up at the time, but now she feels bad and low because of others rubbing it in to her.
I also think that the school starts the favoritism in class with the children, the teachers have there favorites, and once a child sees that, then they pick up on it and start thinking they are better then everyone, a gil in my childs class, has been the teachers pet every year, student of the month etc., but when the teachers and the adults are not around, she is a witch. She is mean and hurtful to others, my child doesn't like getting involved, or getting in trouble, so she stays quiet. Sorry for the rant, I think maybe I should try to help her along. Thanks for putting up with the RANTS!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM

986 posts, read 2,812,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
We just had the conference thing, she wasn't getting bombed with the homework then, but I agree, I think kids should be allowed to be kids. She is still at it four hours and fifteen minutes later, still no end in sight. I haven't even gotten to where I can help her with the spelling words this week.

I was thinking of calling the real teacher at home, and asking her questions to how much work the kids were to have while she was on leave. Her teacher very seldom gave any homework for the weekends, now!!!!!!!! We get it on the weekends also, no break in sight.

Maybe I am to old myself, but I am sick of homework, and I am not in class for another eight hours besides. I know time out has certain time limits and rules on the age of children, so what about homework??????? Some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think that is way to much homework. My daughter is also in 6th grade and tonight she sat at her desk for a little over an hour. I would talk to the real teacher, it sounds like she is doing the work at home that she should be doing in school...good luck

Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,784,896 times
Girls...their growing years can be nightmares for the Mom. I don't mean to exclude the Dad, but really, we know more about what they are going through. I know what you mean by the awards, I think by the time H.S. rolls around, lots of schools do away with the awards and constant praise which only breaks the children like yours (and mine!) down!
When my older daughter was in 5th grade there was a girl who picked on her constantly, teased her, made the entire year a nightmare. I am not one to call the school, but I did have to call them several times that year. Well, at the end of that year, thid little witch got a Social Skills Reward!! I wrote a letter to the principal stating my feelings on this, when I did see her, she told me "I lost sleep over your letter" I could tell she agreed with me.
My younger daughter is also quiet and goes by largely unnoticed, although she excels acedemically. I think M.S. years are the hardest on them, things get better in H.S.
When you think about, us adults are still exposed to this...how many people have you worked with who rise to the top because of their cute looks, a-- kissing the boss, being a tattletale or worse, flirting or more with the big boss. I worked in a bank, and while working hard to get the next position up, I was bypassed by people for many unprofessional reasons. Life is just not fair!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 PM

I so much agree with you I Love Pa, it hurts to see our children struggle, and as a mother, we do notice more things, and get more carried away then what the dads do, but we gave them life.
I do notice that as you say it doesn't change as you get older, if you have the looks, smarts, or what ever to fit in, then you have it made. I am sorry but I have a heart, honesty, caring, just to name a few, and I say it is there lose.
I am so glad that I am not the only one, sometimes I feel like I am whinning, but I know what I feel about life, and the difference between right and wrong, and we have a lot of wrong in this world, I try to stand strong, and I think that is why I don't like to compete, because the pretty ones get chosen first or if you have more money, why not just pick because of talent, or experience. We have to many people who like to hurt others just to get a head in life, and it is not right or fair. Again thanks for listening.
P.S. She is still working on homework, never stopped to eat supper, and we haven't gotten into the spelling yet, I think it will have to wait until tomorrow, poor kid. I will say five hours now, she is almost done with everything except for her language paper, studying for her test, half way with the civil war project, I helped her, she just has to copy it down on index cards, sorry I had to help, but she is half way with that, and the spelling words.
I will also do with what Millebfit said, and that is to contact her teacher, my daughter really thought she would get the award this month, but guess not, next month they pick a boy, so maybe April, after that I say she struck out.
She tries so hard, she just got a award for not missing any school this year, she was disappointed because all they gave was a pencil, the paper award, and a sticker. It may sound good to some, but she has gotten pins from another school she had went to before, and felt like it was worth it then, not to keep complaining. Thanks again for letting me go on, someone has to stand up for our kids.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM

278 posts, read 803,654 times
I think that much homework is way too much! Kids get burned out just like adults do. Here in Florida it is now FCAT time, which most parents hate and many teachers hate too. All they do in school all day is prepare for the tests, so everything else goes out the window. They still get a lot of homework on top of this, and many of the kids around here, mine included, are showing the signs of stress/burnout. I think I would talk to your child's teacher, Yorkie, because at that pace, she will start hating school. Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
I think that much homework is way too much! Kids get burned out just like adults do. Here in Florida it is now FCAT time, which most parents hate and many teachers hate too. All they do in school all day is prepare for the tests, so everything else goes out the window. They still get a lot of homework on top of this, and many of the kids around here, mine included, are showing the signs of stress/burnout. I think I would talk to your child's teacher, Yorkie, because at that pace, she will start hating school. Good Luck!
My daughter just read what you wrote, she says it's to late, she already hates school. Due to homework, favoritism, and mean teachers, she really is disappointed with how they run her school.
I am really glad we are going to move out of Minnesota this summer, I have had enough with this town, and the cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education