Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Math practice: new curriculum, step by step teaching, wrong method, tutoring academy, multivariable calcs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, looking for thoughts on this. My son is a 9th grader, an A student in everything but Math, Accelerated Algebra I, with now a mid level C. In the past, in middle school, his typical math grade was a B, but I feel that he needs more practice and should be stronger in his skills.

We live in Ga. which is a mess in regards to their "new" math curriculum. I can help, but it takes me an hour or more to prep for what he's doing, and even then... I am not a math person, but will be whatever I need to be to make sure my son learns what he needs to know. He is in "advanced/honors" for all of his core classes.

So, I see an ad for a tutor, locally, right up the street. Not one of the chains which appealed to me. A woman who majored in math, B.S., and minored in computer science. Met with her last week, says she loves teaching kids, her mission is helping, etc. She seemed appreciative that we were there, and genuine. Today was the big day. My son went after school, I dropped him off for the one hour time, one on one tutoring. Ok, so I pick him up, asked him how it went. He said that he had to explain to HER what he was working on, and that she said she prefers to have his work ahead of time so she can look at it and prepare. Huh?

Is it me? Shouldn't she already know how to do H.S. Algebra? Sure, she may be rusty, but I guess what I was expecting was someone who could just look at the homework and immediately give a strategy when my son was stuck. Shoot!! I can look at the work and fiddle around with it and 1/2 way show him what to do!! Are my expectations unrealstic??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
No, you are not being unrealistic, but the way schools teach math you almost need a teacher from the school to tutor. They teach step by step how to do something and if you go to a tutor and learn a different step by step, it could get marked wrong by the teacher. I had that happened to me when I got a tutor for Algebra II. The tutor was trying to show me stuff that just didn't match up to the way my school teachers wanted it done. Same answers, wrong method and it was horribly confusing to me. I ended up dropping the class but back then the class wasn't required.

I tried to show my son how to do some basic math, this was 5th grade or something and he says, "Uh no, we don't do math that way." So I talk to the teacher and I learn they don't "carry over" anymore. Huh? There's some other method now instead of carrying over. I also learned there is a new way to do division that I never heard of. Get to Algebra and all hell breaks lose.

Your tutor may just be wanting to know what method your teachers are using.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,039 times
You are not being unreaslistic.

When I was in school for my BS in Civil Egr, I also did a 1-1 tutoring once via this tutoring academy. When my boss said this student needs help in Trig, I already knew what I was doing. When another needed help in AP Calc or Physics, I was ready the next day. If a teacher teaches a method I've never seen before, I could simply take a look at it, analyze and understand it immidiately. By all means, this is only a HS math, not like diff eq, multivariable calcs and the like...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
You only have your son's perspective on this. I think if you are concerned you can talk to the tutor directly to clarify what he was talking about.

In tutoring sessions, I have often asked kids to explain to me what they are doing because it gives me a sense of what they understand and what they don't. And having a sense of what they are working on in advance allows you to pull in other resources or materials to supplement their school work. I don't know if this is what this particular tutor was doing but I think it's better to ask her than to assume the worst.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
You are not being unrealistic except that math isn't what it used to be. I can understand why she would want to see what he is working on and even to have his text. Last week I was in an in-service with the math department of our high school. Each of us worked with a math teacher and I can tell you that they had to confer with each other while we were working to make sure that everyone had the correct answers. In most math classes today, teachers actually teach from a script and do not deviate.

I am not a math teacher and I am not even a math person. However, many students in public high school today do not know how to do basics because many schools teach visualization. As a business teacher, I have to teach how to do basic math (add, subtract, multiply, and divide; fractions, etc.). I have to explain that they have to actually see the paycheck--not visualize it. Parents who are involved have had to teach their children the multiplication tables. I am sure that you know by now that new is not necessarily better.

You might want to see if any teacher at school does tutoring, but how about your child just staying after school one or two afternoons a week for an hour and see if that works. Most schools have a homework club. Save yourself some money if you can and let him get help from the teaching staff.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
We've had some math issues in our house. My husband is an engineer and really likes math. Our son is in 10th grade and taking honors Geometry. Our daughter is currently living at home and is a teacher. She has taken classes in how to teach math and also went to the same HS that her younger brother is now attending. My husband was able to come up with the correct answers to my son's problems but went about it differently then the method our son had been taught. Our daughter, otoh, was able to explain the problem and teach it to her brother so he could understand it and it was the same method that the teacher used BUT she did have to take some time and look over the book and previous work. She is an experienced tutor and I think that makes a difference.

As some of the other posters have said, I would assume that the tutor was using the first class as an evaluation class. I see nothing wrong with having her look over the problems ahead of time so she can do a better job teaching them.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
One of the biggest problems I had helping with math was trying to teach methods used in the book they had. I learned how to do it one way and the book was definitely different. I've heard of kids getting the problem wrong for not using the "correct" method, so it's important to understand what method is used. My niece had one book that I hated. It was written with incomplete examples and it eluded that they would be completed in class. The problem with it is that if you missed a class, you'd be totally lost if the example was something built on later.

I'd give it at least another couple of sessions to see if any progress is being made. I'd also suggest you talk to his math teacher to see if the tutoring can be coordinated with his class.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,371,623 times
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the perspectives from other tutors. I have no problems with the tutor looking over the work and preparing ahead. She even mentioned that she wants to meet with the teacher and sync with her regarding assignments so that my son will be ahead.

I just can't get past the appearance of her "needing" a refresher, and from the tutee no less. I don't think it's a huge issue with the teacher regarding the method of solving the problems, just so the answers are correct. The school does offer peer based tutoring which my son will retry, and the teacher is available on various days before and after school.

Someone nailed it when they mentioned the teachers being so scripted. I do believe that is a concern. My son says the teacher uses an overhead, and literally goes over her notes, solves the problems, while the kids are trying to take notes. There is no time to practice problems on any type of board. When the kids have questions, the questions go unanswered due to her adhering to the scripted lesson. AND, she does not readily return tests and quizzes. So the kids are onto something else, and waaay down the line, maybe up to 2 weeks later, they find out their errors. I would like for him to see the mistakes while they are fresh.

The teacher SAYS she is available. However, obviously my son is not her only student, and she can't devote much time to him. What he needs is practice, and someone who can immediately identify any mistakes and redirect him. I think we are doing a disservice to our kids in the schools that do not actively do "at the board work". The whole motoric aspect and process of the board I believe is valuable.

Oh, when I went to pick up my son at the tutors, they were still working, both standing at the white board, her providing gentle correction, asking me if I minded if they did "just one more". That all appealed to me. My son said she really knew about the radicals they were working on when I picked him up. At the risk of appearing cynical, I hope that was not just a nice little picture for the mom at the end of the session when she knew I would potentially be observing.

Oh boy, I think I will give her one more try. We are scheduled for tomorrow evening. I will gently discuss my concerns with her.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
Well, speaking as someone with a degree in math. It's very hard to go from Linear Algebra and differential equations to middle school math. When I was teaching Algebra I and Algebra II, I had to train my mind to think at "a lower level." Plus, it didn't help that I took Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra II before I even started high school.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the perspectives from other tutors. I have no problems with the tutor looking over the work and preparing ahead. She even mentioned that she wants to meet with the teacher and sync with her regarding assignments so that my son will be ahead.

I just can't get past the appearance of her "needing" a refresher, and from the tutee no less. I don't think it's a huge issue with the teacher regarding the method of solving the problems, just so the answers are correct. The school does offer peer based tutoring which my son will retry, and the teacher is available on various days before and after school.

Someone nailed it when they mentioned the teachers being so scripted. I do believe that is a concern. My son says the teacher uses an overhead, and literally goes over her notes, solves the problems, while the kids are trying to take notes. There is no time to practice problems on any type of board. When the kids have questions, the questions go unanswered due to her adhering to the scripted lesson. AND, she does not readily return tests and quizzes. So the kids are onto something else, and waaay down the line, maybe up to 2 weeks later, they find out their errors. I would like for him to see the mistakes while they are fresh.

The teacher SAYS she is available. However, obviously my son is not her only student, and she can't devote much time to him. What he needs is practice, and someone who can immediately identify any mistakes and redirect him. I think we are doing a disservice to our kids in the schools that do not actively do "at the board work". The whole motoric aspect and process of the board I believe is valuable.

Oh, when I went to pick up my son at the tutors, they were still working, both standing at the white board, her providing gentle correction, asking me if I minded if they did "just one more". That all appealed to me. My son said she really knew about the radicals they were working on when I picked him up. At the risk of appearing cynical, I hope that was not just a nice little picture for the mom at the end of the session when she knew I would potentially be observing.

Oh boy, I think I will give her one more try. We are scheduled for tomorrow evening. I will gently discuss my concerns with her.
From what you say here, your bigger complaint should be with the school and the teacher.

And you do appear cynical. You'd probably be doing her a favor by terminating the tutoring relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education