Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,764,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbarnes1948 View Post
Totally against pajama day!!!! Our schools are institutions of education and young children in elementary minds are very impressionable. What kind of impression are they getting on pajama day? Maybe it's ok to have a pajama day at work and lord knows what kind of pj's some adults would wear. Proper attire is what is called for when attending school. The acceptable attire today would have been unacceptable in my time. Oklahoma City , Oklahoma I am a male 67 years of age. Proper attire is timeless.
Apparently not!

PJ Day does not bother me. It's one day.

Heck, college kids regularly attend classes wearing pajama pants, and they do just fine.

With the advent of working from home, people can also work in their PJs if they wish.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Thanks all so much for bringing up this thread of 2008. An oldie, but a goodie! I'd suggest that everyone read through the whooooole thread and see if you have something new to say.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Kids look forward to these fun days and some could less about joining in.Kind of like people who dress up every day for work and every so often they will have a casual day or jean day. We loved that and people still do.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaztrafy View Post
I wrote a letter to the editor and the school district expressing my disgust for Pajama Day. I am no longer allowed to associate with my nieces and have lost many family and friends because of this letter.

The Letter:
I would like to know the educational value of such events as Pajama Day, Toga Day, Nerd Day and the like at our schools?
I pay taxes to Albert Gallatin School District to education children on the art of wearing pajamas in public? Where do these event's improve children's education, especially in the sixth grade? I see this as a perverted misuse of my unrepresented tax dollars. I have no children and could claim to not believe in education. It could be argued that all school tax is illegal in PA yet i have to pay to have my niece be more concerned about her pajama’s than education. I’m disgusted with this country’s immorality and ridiculous has replaced arithmetic's at every level. What kind of person think’s it’s a good idea to educate 6th graders on how to walk around in public wearing pajama’s? What career path do these unnecessary events prepare children to explore?

The school harassed my brother and his wife leading them to ban me from their children. I can't tell you how angry this makes me every single day!
Hate to tell you but I have seen adults in jammies at the voting polls and at the grocery. Now to me is a lot more odd than children have a fun jammie day as a reward for good grades,good behavior or just because.. get a grip.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:19 PM

666 posts, read 642,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
... Middle School ....

My Son's middle school did a PJ day. Was interesting what they came up with.

My son and a bunch of his friends got Skin Colored leotards bottoms, and some "strong" man Tshirts and went to school with their boxer's on the outside. So if you looked at them from a distance it looked like they were just in there boxers.

I think that was the last PJ day they had @ Middle school.

What is a "strong" man t-shirt, anyway?

Last edited by janet bubby; 12-07-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 09:03 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
Our kid has at least one day a year during which the children are encouraged to express themselves. Examples of acceptable attire are silly clothes, silly hats, pajamas. I don't see how pajamas is an expression of one's self and also believe pajamas are for the house. Therefore, our kid dresses up with a funny hat or whatever but we don't send him out the house in pajamas.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times
I think it's cute and cozy in elementary school. I think my kids had it in middle school here and there too and it's no big deal. It's been my experience that kids in high school don't need a designated day to wear pajamas.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I was in elementary school in the early 80s, and we had crazy hat days, mismatched clothing contests, and other "spirit days." I won once in sixth grade ... free admission to Skate Night at the roller rink! Good times. My son's elementary school gives pajama day to classes as a reward, such as for donating the most to an event, meeting some reading milestone, stuff like that. The kids love it.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 863 times
After reading my paragraph, you should strongly believe that schools should NOT have pajama days in schools. Some of my reasons are, kids might be bullied if they are wearing little kid things like "My Little Pony" or "Bob the Builder". Secondly they could be a major distraction. Also, kids may not have pajamas and only sleep in their underwear, so most parents would not buy them this type of clothes to wear for one day only.

My first reason, is that kids could be made fun of because if that they wear. On a recent study, 36 precent of kids don't wear themed clothing to fit their age. So, some kids would be bullied by the older kids in the school. Some nicknames I have read online are "Bunny Boy, Bob the Baby and My Little Stupid."

My second reason, it that the pajamas could cause MAJOR distractions. People could get off topic and look around the classroom at all the people, and be distracted. This would be a problem in many classrooms, because it is already hard enough to keep kids sidetracted on school while they are3 focused on "Bunny Boy's" pajamas.

My third and final reason, is that some kids do not own pajamas, because they sleep in only underwear. So, you cant just go into school with only underwear on. Most parents, will not buy their kids pajamas for only using them once, during that day.

In conclusion, I do not think schools should have pajama day. Because of all my reasons above buillying, distractions and kids not having them.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:01 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post

What is a "strong" man t-shirt, anyway?
Looked something like this one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/4735004...?ref=related-1

He's long since outgrown the shirt, not sure where it went.

Update, His middle school had a PJ day last week, from the FB pix's they post'ed it was mostly girls who were in PJ, only saw one or two boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education