Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

Ah, the paranoia virus! That's the most virulent one of the lot. What we really need is a thought sanitizer to scrub that crap from our minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
What are kids doing with all of this hand sanitizer that everyone speaks of? We never had hand sanitizer in schools.... have they gotten that much germier?
I don't know what they do with it, lol. THEY, however, think they need it. I, actually, put it in my room for me because I'm exposed to so many germs by virtue of the number of students I'm in contact with per day but one day I overheard two students talking. One questioned why I'd buy the expensive brand (it was actually given to me by a relative for Christmas) and the other student replied in tone indicating it should be obvious that it was becuase I cared about the students. So, I buy hand sanitizer.

I think I need it because it is such a pain in the butt to come up with a sub plan to take a sick day. I'd rather work sick but the parents and my coworkers don't appreciate it. So I keep it in the room to keep me well. The kids, however, manage to go through about one big bottle a month. Sometimes I think they drink the stuff.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
(if anyone can come up with an idea to mark the pencils so they don't leave the room, I'd love it. I'm thinking maybe I need chains on them like they have at the bank )
Try buying those fat kindergarten pencils. Of course, the novelty of them may cause them to get taken at an even faster rate.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I see this all the time, teachers complaining non stop about how they don't get paid enough on and on. Yet, I see no shortage of teachers and from the looks of it the retention rate for teachers is very high. To further my case, I see a lot of people who are trying to get teaching jobs. Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs.
Most teachers are well compensated if they know how to manage their money. If you compare teaching salaries per capita with local salaries per capita. In addition we as educators have great fringe benefits and we still have great pensions. Teaching is one profession where with good financial planning you can be comfortably retired at 62 years with many years of retirement ahead of you.
Pension
Social Security/or a larger pension
403B
paid for house/remember teachers don't have to worry about being transferred and needing to relocate.
Great job security except for select locations right now.

Teaching is a great base for a secure financial life

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacholek View Post
where would you be without the teachers you had? They are all special, even if you don't like them. The average 1st year through 5th year teacher makes a little bit more some employees at McDonalds. I think they should make more (not tons nd tons) but a good 10% more for the importance of the work they do.
If you multiply the hourly rate at McDonalds times a 40 hour work week and come up with a compensation that matches teachers salaries we would love to see it. Don't come up with the hours you claim to work as you are salaried and workers at McDonald's are hourly. Perhaps it is your math that needs to be exposed for lurkers to evaluate. Heck lurkers forget about the hourly rate of McDonald workers here is a chart of management salaries in food service for you to compare with the postings in this thread.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...rant(s)/Salary

Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If you multiply the hourly rate at McDonalds times a 40 hour work week and come up with a compensation that matches teachers salaries we would love to see it. Don't come up with the hours you claim to work as you are salaried and workers at McDonald's are hourly. Perhaps it is your math that needs to be exposed for lurkers to evaluate. Heck lurkers forget about the hourly rate of McDonald workers here is a chart of management salaries in food service for you to compare with the postings in this thread.
PayScale - Fast Food Restaurant(s) Industry Salary, Average Salaries
Teachers don't work a 40 hour work week. Yes, they're salaried but you can calculate an hourly rate and compare it to what you'd make working the same number of hours at McDonalds. Once you factor in overtime pay for anything over 40 hours, it's close for me. I find that sad.

I made more per hour working as a co-op student when I was just starting in engineering than I make now. As an engineer, I made about $55/hr per hour worked (factoring in vacation time and holidays), I was salaried and I was paid overtime if I worked it. Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you don't get paid for extra work.

Have you been out in the work world? Yes, there are professions where you are not paid overtime but they are, generally, well compensated. I have friends who work as engineers who don't get overtime but they were making 25% more than I was. My job came with a lower salary but overtime pay.

While union teachers do make a decent wage here, non union teachers, like me do not. I've never been a fan of unions but I see the need. I think union scale is too high but if you're non union your pay is way too low. Too bad we can't average the two.

I'm going to keep looking for a job even after school starts. I can't afford to pass anything up. Fortunately, our contracts are at will and non binding. I don't even know why they have us sign them. They change the terms whenever they feel like it. Last year they cut our 401K contribution in Janurary and our benefits in June. We find out next week how much they're cutting our wages for next year. Since accepting this job, they've cut benefits equal to 15% of my pay. That wouldn't happen if we were union but I don't see the union picking up the charters here.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Try buying those fat kindergarten pencils. Of course, the novelty of them may cause them to get taken at an even faster rate.
They'd take them. I was going to order some color change pencils with my name on them so I could identify them but I figured they would disappear because of the coolness factor of pencils that change colors (surprisingly, they were the cheapest ones I could have printed).

Maybe I should glue really big Osterich feathers to them or something rediculous like that, .

It gets really annoying after I've bought about 300 pencils. The kids just don't care. Even if I give them one, they don't bring it back tomorrow. I may have to resort to what another teacher does. He takes one of their shoes. They get the shoe back when they give him the pencil back. Of course this kind of banking will take up class time. I really can't win here.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Tell the kids they need to place a deposit for a pencil. THis could be a dollar, a student ID, a driver's license, whatever. You'll get your pencils back for sure! Even better, maybe students will bring their OWN pencils to avoid the hassle.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Teachers don't work a 40 hour work week. Yes, they're salaried but you can calculate an hourly rate and compare it to what you'd make working the same number of hours at McDonalds. Once you factor in overtime pay for anything over 40 hours, it's close for me. I find that sad.

I made more per hour working as a co-op student when I was just starting in engineering than I make now. As an engineer, I made about $55/hr per hour worked (factoring in vacation time and holidays), I was salaried and I was paid overtime if I worked it. Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you don't get paid for extra work.

Have you been out in the work world? Yes, there are professions where you are not paid overtime but they are, generally, well compensated. I have friends who work as engineers who don't get overtime but they were making 25% more than I was. My job came with a lower salary but overtime pay.

While union teachers do make a decent wage here, non union teachers, like me do not. I've never been a fan of unions but I see the need. I think union scale is too high but if you're non union your pay is way too low. Too bad we can't average the two.

I'm going to keep looking for a job even after school starts. I can't afford to pass anything up. Fortunately, our contracts are at will and non binding. I don't even know why they have us sign them. They change the terms whenever they feel like it. Last year they cut our 401K contribution in Janurary and our benefits in June. We find out next week how much they're cutting our wages for next year. Since accepting this job, they've cut benefits equal to 15% of my pay. That wouldn't happen if we were union but I don't see the union picking up the charters here.
How many hours above and beyond the standard work day does a physical education teacher work without additional compensation? Yet they get paid the same as a physics teacher with the same years experience and degree. Shameful yet unions support it fully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education