Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,472,479 times

Advertisements

As a first grade teacher, of course I am going to be on the defensive. The children come to me, not knowing how to read........and leave me reading. 2nd grade and on develops that reading.....but it all starts with first grade. Kinder gets the letters together and some of the words, but first puts it all together. Thank you very much.

Of course.....if you want to pay me like a glorified babysitter....I'd be a lot richer than I am now!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 PM

901 posts, read 2,979,229 times
Tgify2001- Most of the posts were not demanding salaires that are substantially higher. We do not deserve pay cuts because we are educated and work hard. People who work hard and contribute to society deserve to be able to make a living. Is that too much to ask?

Some of the comments have just been stupid. Teaching is not physically demanding? Tell that to my aching feet. Teaching is not mentally dmeanding? Tell that to my brain that is being testing because I am trying to reach all of my students, despite different backgrounds.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,802,567 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Why is it that the same teachers that taught my kids are now teaching their kids in the same grade school?

__________________________________________________ _____

What's the point here? Maybe that teacher enjoys her job and likes it there.

My dad works for the same company for 30+ yrs. What does that say about him?
He likes his job, likes the security, and has loyalty to his company.
Is that worse than the new generation of workers who jump from job to job because they are never happy.

We are all required to attend inservices, workshops and learn new material. I'm sure she's not teaching the same exact thing she was teaching years ago. Our jobs change and we have to keep up.
Maybe she's just a good teacher and likes it there. Is this a negative thing?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM

[quote=Humboldt1;5824409]

I think teachers should be paid bonuses based upon the performance of the students in their classes. This will obviously vary from district to district as I would expect more affluent districts to score better.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I teach special ed. self -contained and about half of my 3rd grade students can't read due to their disabilities. (Have only taught them for 1 1/2 months now)

Does that mean I should never get a raise? Should they be looking at my students grades and basing my performance on that?

It's bad enough that these people who were part of NCLB are requiring that my students become Proficient in a few years. Now, we should base my salary on these unrealistic tests that my students have to pass.

Maybe both you and the President can come and teach my class. Count the times I take a break, sit down or even stop teaching. Take notice of how long I sit all day. Then tell me that I shouldn't get a raise because despite the fact that I don't stop these kids still can't read or pass some ridiculous test.

Now, I know I CAN physically sit down but since my students can do very little on their own, I really can't. Then I wouldn't be doing my job.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM

8,797 posts, read 15,238,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Two of my very close friends are teachers here in San Antonio, TX. A first year teacher here starts out at between 41 and 45k (depends on what district)...

The cost of living here is pretty low... so considering that, the starting teacher salary is very good. One of my friends taught for about 15 years then left to teach out of the country. The other has been teaching for about 13 years now, so she's making almost 50k. She really doesn't complain at all and YES, she works her tail off but she also freely admits to enjoying havnig the same school breaks as her daughter, not havig to worry about child care during those breaks, having summers off, even if they seem to be getting shorter all the time.

She has been to Europe 4 times that I know of. No, she's not rich... but with careful planning and saving she manages to save up for these trips, as well as her daughter having ballet and music lessons and so forth, and she also lives in a rather affluent area of town. So she's doing better than a lot of people with a Bachelor's degree, that's my point... and she encourages ME all the time to consider teaching so it can't be that bad!

She loves teaching, she loves 'her kids' (she teaches High School).. and if you aren't set on having the latest model Lexus, $400 handbag or huge plasma TV it seems to be a very decent living, at least in my area.
Good post. My wife and I both teach elementary school. We do fine and live in an area with a higher cost of living (DC suburb). I agree with most of what you said. I am in my 16th year. It gets better if you stick with it. I did summer school for about 13 of the years to gain a little extra and for the last few it was so that she could stay at home in the summer with our son. The last two we have both been home for June and July and it is nice. I agree, as long as you budget and don't live outside your means, you do ok. We aren't house poor, we put $ into an annuity and a education 529, our cars are not old, and we can travel, without being too lavish. The state and county retirement systems are very good.

Last edited by tgbwc; 10-23-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: added detail

Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times
I read an article years ago on the salaries of teachers and comparative jobs. The teachers actually made more per hour than the business employee. My daughter used to be a manager in a department store. She worked 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. I think a teaching job would be a walk in the park after a schedule like that.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Default post before this one

(oops, now it's 2 posts before this one)
I agree with you. The problem is that people think that ALL teachers complain about their salaries.

If those people read all the posts then they would see that that's not what we're saying. We are just saying that we don't make too much nor are we overpaid. We deserve what we earn. There are states that don't pay teachers much and those teachers definitely deserve more.

I think some of the people who start these posts don't know what they are talking about. I wish they would pick another profession to pick on. They are always talking about the teachers. Seriously, it's not like we're making 100K or 200K. I wish they would just pick another profession to pick on.

You know what we make. We're not rich but not poor either. If teachers have new cars and a house, that's also because their husbands or wives work. I'm a single mom and have a house and car and that's because I am responsible with my money and I save. Anyone can do that with ANY salary.

Last edited by MMTeacher; 10-23-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I read an article years ago on the salaries of teachers and comparative jobs. The teachers actually made more per hour than the business employee. My daughter used to be a manager in a department store. She worked 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. I think a teaching job would be a walk in the park after a schedule like that.
I don't even know what to say to this comment- I'm speechless!

TEACHING IS A WALK IN THE PARK COMPARED TO MANAGING A DEPARTMENT STORE BECAUSE SHE WORKS 1 EXTRA DAY AND A FEW HOURS??? WHAT?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,197,238 times
There are some good teachers out there that deserve good pay but to be perfectly honest, and maybe it is just my area, but most of the teachers in my school district were lazy, uncreative, disinterested pathetic excuses for educators. My HS biology teacher would always say "heil kerecz" to me because my grandparents are from germany. My HS algebra teacher would give us nonstop worksheets that offered no educational value and had us watch tv while we did them. My english teacher was a lush and I've on more than one occasion seen her stumbling out of bars drunker than sheet. I mean honestly, at least 60% of the teachers I've had, except in college, they've seem disinterested and dumb. They drag the name of GOOD teachers down and I have had some AMAZING teachers that deserve every penny they make...problem is there isn't enough accountability with teachers and a horrible teacher gets paid just as much as a good one...and based on my schooling at least...there are more bad than good.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 PM

609 posts, read 1,170,517 times
my philo teacher at highschool said he got paid 100 000 a year. but he was in the highest pay bracket. think of all the benefits they get too?

not to mention they dont work the summer, and get the same vacation as the students?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education