Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Education: children, teacher, degree, curriculum programs, sexual harassment.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

I went to ele school in the 50s and early 60s, and I have no nostalgia for it. Even though I later graduated in the top 10% of my high school class, I always felt stupid in ele school b/c we had such awful teachers who never heard of "positive reinforcement". In fact, there were kids who were actually abused by one of the teachers, and the parents moved out of the district.

The few handicapped kids in our school were riduculed and often put in the corner. I"m surprised we didn't have dunce caps!

I should hope the school nurse can't give an aspirin. It is dangerous to give aspirin to kids.

I don't think a prinicpal should have "disciplinarian" as his/her major role.

Your daughter's knowledge about animals and her lack of knowledge about history may be of her own interests, not because she isn't being taught these things. And regarding what is taught in history classes, in all my years of k-12 education, we were never taught anything about the holocaust, internment camps, etc in those years after WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I should hope the school nurse can't give an aspirin. It is dangerous to give aspirin to kids.

Figure of speech on my part.She is basically dead weight was the point I was trying to make.If your child is sick,she calls home for them...the SAME thing the secretary used to do...If you bring a signed slip from a dr.,she dispenses the meds...SAME thing the secretary used to do,child is injured bad enough,she calls an ambulance etc .The school has been here since 1912 and I've never heard of the old system causing harm to a child in the least.

I don't think a prinicpal should have "disciplinarian" as his/her major role.

We differ in our views only in the fact that I think he/she should maintain control and with that in mind,discipline should be his/her foremost rudimentary task imo.Fear of discipline is what maintains control of some children as the fear of jail is all that maintains control in the adult world to some adults.Especially children who are brought up by uncaring parents who do not teach their children what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour or how to respect others property or person.Do I think they should be a tyrant? NO,but maintain a proper learning enviroment.

Your daughter's knowledge about animals and her lack of knowledge about history may be of her own interests, not because she isn't being taught these things.

I have reviewed her text books just for fun and I know what she is being taught and what she isn't.

And regarding what is taught in history classes, in all my years of k-12 education, we were never taught anything about the holocaust, internment camps, etc in those years after WWII.
As far as her learning history(or anything else for that matter),we teach her at home too (as unbiased on world events as possible)so I'm not to worried about her.I worry about the children whose parents don't care enough to help with their kids education where the school systems fail,are lax or doesn't have time to teach them.I know we as parents cannot lay all burdens on a schools back and just send our children to them in the rough and get a polished child back.It takes care at school AND at home.

We were taught about the things you mentioned and I'm glad I was even though I seem to remember it was scary and a bit confusing at that age to think people actually killed other people.Ahhh ,the innocence of youth and how I miss it.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 AM

I can speak a bit to the school nurse issue, as I am an RN. Some of what you say is correct, some is not. It is far better to have an educated person working in the health room than the shcool secretary. My daughter once had a serious accident on the playground in 2nd grade, with a head injury, and the sec. staff let her go back to class b/c she "wanted" to. When I found out about it, I went over to the school and took her home. If a child is injured, the SN will do the initial first aid, like a first responder. Better that that person have some education.

Another point, do you know that that person is really an RN? Now this is a pet peeve of mine; a lot of these so-called school nurses are not nurses at all, but parapros who have a small amount of training. But the parents think they are nurses. I work in a pediatrician's office and we frequently get calls from parents saying the "nurse" thinks this and that and it turns out the "nurse" is not an RN.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another point, do you know that that person is really an RN? Now this is a pet peeve of mine; a lot of these so-called school nurses are not nurses at all, but parapros who have a small amount of training. But the parents think they are nurses. I work in a pediatrician's office and we frequently get calls from parents saying the "nurse" thinks this and that and it turns out the "nurse" is not an RN.
No ma'am I do not,but that is a VERY good question... My oldest sister is an RN also and she is the same way as you on that.If I say a nurse said this or that,she will give me a sideways glance and say "LPN or RN ?" before she will allow the conversation to procede.LOL.

The two things I CAN tell you about this lady (other than she is VERY nice) is that 1) She is related to a longtime school district employee as are nearly all working here now.Nepotism is a way of life in our county which is sad because we lost a VERY good teacher to that when my girl was in first grade.I just thank GOD that she had her as a teacher before they ran her off.Wonderful,caring woman. 2) She has a room to herself in a school that is busting at the seams due to STAFF over crowding.If you visited this school you would be absolutely amazed.I should take some pics the next time I visit and post them for you.It is VERY clean,but my gosh it is FULL in every nook and cranny now.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Well over 50 people on the payroll for 200-250 students.INCREDIBLE!!!
...and here we come to the crux of the problem.

Teachers complain they're not getting paid enough, taxpayers complain that they're paying too much, and parents want less kids in each class...but rarely do we hear about overstaffing.

Average school expenditure in the US is $6,058 per student. If teachers have 25 kids in their class and make $40,000/year, then only (about) 25% of the total tuition paid goes to the teacher! Schools should cut their overhead to around 50%, then they could give every teacher a raise, reduce the kids in each class, and lower school taxes.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
No ma'am I do not,but that is a VERY good question... My oldest sister is an RN also and she is the same way as you on that.If I say a nurse said this or that,she will give me a sideways glance and say "LPN or RN ?" before she will allow the conversation to procede.LOL.

The two things I CAN tell you about this lady (other than she is VERY nice) is that 1) She is related to a longtime school district employee as are nearly all working here now.Nepotism is a way of life in our county which is sad because we lost a VERY good teacher to that when my girl was in first grade.I just thank GOD that she had her as a teacher before they ran her off.Wonderful,caring woman. 2) She has a room to herself in a school that is busting at the seams due to STAFF over crowding.If you visited this school you would be absolutely amazed.I should take some pics the next time I visit and post them for you.It is VERY clean,but my gosh it is FULL in every nook and cranny now.
The school nurse may not even be an LPN. My friend was a health room para-pro, and did not call herself a nurse, but a lot of people thought she was one. She just had a few hours training in first aid and med administration (which they are allowed to do with a doctor-signed form).

Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
As far as a large staff, schools as a whole, do more now than they used to. Schools are providing a lot services now besides just teaching. There is staff needed to feed the children both breakfast and lunch, school nurses to help the sick children, speech pathogists, OT, PT, pull out programs to provide additional educational services. My school has around 600 students and 125 staff members, which is a similar ratio to the school mentioned by the OP.

It seems like parents are doing less and less for their children, especially in the inner city schools. When I was growing up, I ate breakfast at home. If I was sick, my family took me to the doctor. If I needed help with my homework, my family helped me, not after school. I'm not really against these programs, I'm just stating the differences between then and now.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
As far as a large staff, schools as a whole, do more now than they used to. Schools are providing a lot services now besides just teaching. There is staff needed to feed the children both breakfast and lunch, school nurses to help the sick children, speech pathogists, OT, PT, pull out programs to provide additional educational services. My school has around 600 students and 125 staff members, which is a similar ratio to the school mentioned by the OP.

It seems like parents are doing less and less for their children, especially in the inner city schools. When I was growing up, I ate breakfast at home. If I was sick, my family took me to the doctor. If I needed help with my homework, my family helped me, not after school. I'm not really against these programs, I'm just stating the differences between then and now.
I wonder if it's really that parents as a whole do less for the kids or because of the internet and instant information age that we know more about what's going on all over. I don't think poor families used to be news. The kids that didn't do well, just dropped out. If they went to school hungry, no one fed them. How many adults do you know that probably should have been diagnosed with learning disabilities if that had been an option? I had speech therapy but it wasn't until I was in 6th grade that I was even screened for it. My youngest son had speech therapy in 1st grade. I think there are good reasons for some increased staff

Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm sure that I'm jaded about current family structures because I have seen so much. But I have students in kindergarten or 1st grade whose parents won't even take the time to make sure thier child does their hw or look at the letters that are sent home. I wasn't saying that all of the sevices are not needed. I am glad that they are given. But some parents are NOT doing their job. They should be caring for their children. It is not fair to send you child to school when hs/she is deathly ill. There are free clinics where they can go. I'm not agains hw help, but there should be no help needed when the hw is simply to color a picture and write a letter of the alphabet (using crayons that the school provided).

Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 AM

"I'm not agains hw help, but there should be no help needed when the hw is simply to color a picture and write a letter of the alphabet (using crayons that the school provided)."

I meant hw help that schools provide. Sorry if it was not clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education