U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM

18,264 posts, read 8,114,540 times

Advertisements

i was thinking of this the other day when my Geometry teacher was lecturing about 2 colomn proofs and some other stuff. then he started talking about the change in state standards starting with the next school year. In Indiana starting next school year 6th graders must know the basics of Geometry! it got me thinking wow a course that is usually for sophmores and up is now going to be taught at the 6th grade level. This got me thinking are todays children growing up to fast? When i was in 6th grade i barely understood Math and now they must learn Geometry.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM

876 posts, read 1,535,384 times
not at all. in earlier years (1800s) when 12 year old boys had to be the man of the house and help raise their younger siblings because their father was killed....then they had to grow up too fast. learning math at a younger age does not mean they are growing too fast. if you ask me....they are getting a lot more immature.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,037,834 times
Geometry in elementary school? Great! Maybe our country can move forward, in a good way.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM

274 posts, read 577,984 times
Depends what you're talking about. On average, kids aren't sheltered from drugs, sex, etc. anymore. But when it comes to actual responsibility, most are immature.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,490,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
This got me thinking are todays children growing up to fast?
No, the children I see generally eat three meals a day. Well, unless it's Ramadan and they're Muslim.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 AM

603 posts, read 2,222,164 times
My daughter's first grade teacher told me that my daughter will be learning Geometry next week. When I questioned her on it, she mentioned shapes, planes, and other really basic Geometry. Students do learn things earlier than they used to. When I was in first grade, we started learning letters...now they are already reading.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM

90,377 posts, read 112,031,195 times
It seems like a lot of math instruction in middle school is a sort of wasted time. It's nothing new. The lucky ones get bumped into pre-algebra early (supposed to be an 8th grade course in my district) so they can take algebra in 8th grade.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM

23 posts, read 42,401 times
I do not feel they are growing up any faster than we are letting them. I think those with older sibilings tend to hear things at an earlier age and then will tell their counterparts at school etc. It is up to the parents to set the boundaries of what is expected and not expected of them.

I, personally, think it is awful how people want to go back to the good ol days like little house on the prairie and then complain that their kids are growing up to fast. How many hours do you think the girls and boys during those times had to play vs. work? They definately had to work alot more. Nowadays it is more realistic to have a child at 8 start to do a chore or two around the house, like sweeping the floor or unloading the dishwasher---but not to be responsible for splitting the wood and lugging it in so Pa can tend to more important matters.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM

650 posts, read 2,075,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
i was thinking of this the other day when my Geometry teacher was lecturing about 2 colomn proofs and some other stuff. then he started talking about the change in state standards starting with the next school year. In Indiana starting next school year 6th graders must know the basics of Geometry! it got me thinking wow a course that is usually for sophmores and up is now going to be taught at the 6th grade level. This got me thinking are todays children growing up to fast? When i was in 6th grade i barely understood Math and now they must learn Geometry.

What do you think?
My daughter's homeschool curriculum has basic geometry and algebra and it would be for a 4/5th grader. Some of it is stuff I never saw until high school!

I think we are expecting way too much out of kids these days. I am glad that my kids have leisure of learning at their own pace and are not forced to comply with what all of the school "authorities" think they need to be learning. What happens to all of the kids that aren't quite ready to grasp these concepts yet?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM

901 posts, read 2,839,933 times
Yes and no. As someone mentioned. Geometry can be something as simple as pre-schools learning their shapes.

Here in second grade children are expected to know how to count money and tell time. Most of the time they just don't get it. I think that it is above their head. In my opinion, some of the basics are being skipped or glossed over. They barely teach handwritting now. They expect a 2nd grader to write a five paragraph essay when some of them can barely form all of their letters. It is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education