Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

I agree w/others that the core Math/Science courses may be better for college admittance (provided that you do well in these courses as you stated). They may also better prepare you for SAT/ACT exams and for your possible career in a "medical field." Some of the other courses that interest you (Art History, German, etc.) may be available through other venues (e.g. park district, art museum, online course, video/CD course, etc.) and you may choose not to take them as a school credit course.

I would also suggest you work closely w/your school's guidance counselors to help identify possible education/career paths for you. Through assessment, you may identify what your strengths/weaknesses are and what kind of careers you might enjoy. If you haven't already, start researching specific careers, education requirements and the future job outlook in these fields. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Wrong, wrong, and more wrong. If you only take 2 years of a language, sure colleges aren't going to be impressed. Spanish 4 and 5 are above and beyond what most high schools require. My getting to Spanish 7 and French 2 certainly helped me get into a great college and, more importantly, get a nearly full scholarship there- despite being well below their "average" scores in test scores and GPA.

Also, maybe it's different in other colleges, but I started off on the 6th semester of Spanish at my college to fulfill my requirements. I've never heard of having to restart at Spanish 1 at ANY school. Granted, I don't know the requirements of all schools, but I would imagine most colleges are a fan of a little thing called placement tests. Even the nearest community college has language and math placement tests. It would be in NO ONE'S best interest to have students who took 4 or 5 courses of Spanish to restart a foreign language with students who had never taken it.
My GF took six years of German from 7th grade to 12th grade. The college she is enrolled in has a two year language requirement of all students that they need for graduation. She could have tested out of German, sure, but she still would have been required to take two years of another foreign language. So she just took German again (and because the language she really wanted to learn was not offered) and had to start at German 1 because there were/are only four sections of German being offered.

Some high schools/districts and or states have a foreign language requirement that is a part of the general curriculum. Why would a college be impressed by that, since you were required to take it? However, what would be impressive is if you took on a foreign language when one was not required. Or you studied a language on your own time outside of school.

Each persons experience is different, though.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondieucharon View Post
What? If they did not want you to take a language, why would they require two years at least to get into the college? That makes no sense. The major does not require two years, admittance to the college does.
Go back and re-read my post.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM

38 posts, read 76,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My GF took six years of German from 7th grade to 12th grade. The college she is enrolled in has a two year language requirement of all students that they need for graduation. She could have tested out of German, sure, but she still would have been required to take two years of another foreign language. So she just took German again (and because the language she really wanted to learn was not offered) and had to start at German 1 because there were/are only four sections of German being offered.

Some high schools/districts and or states have a foreign language requirement that is a part of the general curriculum. Why would a college be impressed by that, since you were required to take it? However, what would be impressive is if you took on a foreign language when one was not required. Or you studied a language on your own time outside of school.

Each persons experience is different, though.
I am maybe misinterpreting, but I am pretty sure that taking five years of a language is at least somewhat impressive to a college. It's not part of the general curriculum, at least in high school, and if people take a language, many of them only take up to two years. I have friends that have no intention of taking a second language. My Spanish teacher a couple years ago said that you take a test on the language. I think someone said placement test earlier. I think I must be confused... the school district I am in does /not/ require a second language, but you need to have taken at least two years of a language to get into many colleges, not to graduate from the college.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,510 times
Quote:
Hehe, that would be different. I am not sure if my school offers architecture or engineering [other than the program you need to join as a freshman or something]. I wonder. I took a sort of woodworking and "tech ed" class or something of the like for a couple years in middle school and was DREADFUL at it. Haha I actually ended up having friends do most of my work because I was afraid to work with the machines.
Try it!!! I was all set to become a merchant marine - I wanted to be a captain on a ship. Junior year drafting changed my mind. Became a "shop" teacher instead and love it.

Just a thought.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I am maybe misinterpreting, but I am pretty sure that taking five years of a language is at least somewhat impressive to a college. It's not part of the general curriculum, at least in high school, and if people take a language, many of them only take up to two years. I have friends that have no intention of taking a second language. My Spanish teacher a couple years ago said that you take a test on the language. I think someone said placement test earlier. I think I must be confused... the school district I am in does /not/ require a second language, but you need to have taken at least two years of a language to get into many colleges, not to graduate from the college.
I was saying that taking a foriegn language in high school would be impressive if it was not a part of the required curriculum. You took five years, and that is impressive.

I am not sure if it was a district policy or a California state high school policy, but every student in my high school had to take two years of a foriegn language to graduate HS.

I have never heard of a college that required two years of foreign language prior to admission. I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just not aware of any. However, I am aware of many colleges and/or college programs that do require two-years of a second language in order to graduate.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
I have never heard of a college that required two years of foreign language prior to admission. I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just not aware of any. However, I am aware of many colleges and/or college programs that do require two-years of a second language in order to graduate.
My college required 3 years- strongly recommended 4 (aka you weren't getting in without 4). All of the colleges I applied to (12 upper tier schools) had similar requirements.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 PM

38 posts, read 76,346 times
Quote:
I was saying that taking a foriegn language in high school would be impressive if it was not a part of the required curriculum. You took five years, and that is impressive.

I am not sure if it was a district policy or a California state high school policy, but every student in my high school had to take two years of a foriegn language to graduate HS.

Oh I see, I understand.
[I've only taken three, hoping to take five].

It's not like that in Minnesota. Haha It's not required in my high school at least, and I haven't heard of a college that doesn't require a second language. Weird.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My college required 3 years- strongly recommended 4 (aka you weren't getting in without 4). All of the colleges I applied to (12 upper tier schools) had similar requirements.
Quote:
Oh I see, I understand.
[I've only taken three, hoping to take five].

It's not like that in Minnesota. Haha It's not required in my high school at least, and I haven't heard of a college that doesn't require a second language. Weird.
You guys win

Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
Can your English be AP? Your language courses will assit you in testing into a higher level course, although unless you take the AP Exam, you won't receive credit hours.
My kids took all AP courses their senior years, with Orchestra as their elective. (Ironically, it adversely affected their class rank because it was not considered an honors course in a system with grade weighing.) They had in excess of 20 semester hours before stepping foot on campus.
Finally, are you allowed free tuition for a local junior college course between your junior and senior years? My children took advantage of that option to get some of their requirements (that were not in sequence) out of the way.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education