Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wduty31 View Post
From West Virginia which had a ranking of 43. After $1,000,000,000. in consolidation, I am asking if this is or has made an improvement in South Carolina / or other states?
This method has been used for many years in Cali and other states. know of some reliable studies on the ed output?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
i'm suprised that Virginia didn't rank higher.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:18 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,064 times
I think I know why Virginia got hit on the "Truth in Advertising" segment.

As I understand it, a part of the "No Child Left Behind" legislation required states to report on how their students were doing at meeting the state's educational standards. Virginia didn't have a statewide standard, so they created one. But the set the standard at where the kids were performing, so on paper they were meeting "the standards".
Truth in Advertising About Student Proficiency
Virginia gets low marks on the credibility of its student proficiency scores. While the state identified large
percentages of its students as proficient on 2005 state math and reading exams, smaller percentages posted
proficient scores on the NAEP in 2005.
From http://www.uschamber.com/assets/icw/07reportcard/state_reports/state_report_VA.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,101,263 times
This is the only negative subject for me - we are relocating from NJ to MO this summer, and plan to start a family there. We will be choosing exactly what town to live in based on school district, but I suspect even the best school district in MO will not compare to what we are used to in NJ.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,110 times
My only surprise is how could 14 states actually rank WORSE than Rhode Island.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,413 times
MS gets low scores as always. Our education system is one of the critical areas for our state; without an educated and motivated workforce, we're always going to be poor and helpless. I went through the public school system, and I can tell you it's hard to concentrate in class when you're hungry, or because the other kids make life hell for you and the teachers do nothing to protect you. The home enviroment makes a difference, too -- if your parents are ignorant, they're not going to read to you or keep books at home or insist that you watch educational TV.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This is the only negative subject for me - we are relocating from NJ to MO this summer, and plan to start a family there. We will be choosing exactly what town to live in based on school district, but I suspect even the best school district in MO will not compare to what we are used to in NJ.
I think you might find that true unfortunately. My Dad and step-mom live near St. Louis, and have several friends that are teachers. THe highest ranked school in that area also leads the country in teen pregnancy rates, yikes. They are in the O'Fallon, MO area and the area itself is nice, most of the school buildings are new but I haven't been impressed with the education level of the kids in their neighborhood and they live in a pretty upscale area. It is a little frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education