Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 04:22 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,486 times

Advertisements

How are the responsibilities of these three job titles different in your opinion? Is a Project Lead the same as a Project Manager? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM

148 posts, read 629,626 times
From what I have seen in technical projects- Project Lead is typically a technical persons who knows abouts nuts and bolts of the project, what all team memebers are "really" doing, and how much time it is "really" going to complete a taks, etc. They are more technical/subject matter expert type of people. Project Manager depends upon the Project Lead and often takes the project lead in important meetings to answer those detailed questions so as to not appear clueless in front of customers, etc.
Project Managers primarily paper pushers- Estimating, Project Schedules, Resource Allocation, Work breakdown, etc etc. Program Managers oversee many projects (which maybe a part of one big program). They are one level removed from the project and typically depend upon Project Manager and the Project Leads to get project details. In some instances, they also have P&L reponsibilities.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 PM

thank you for the response..very helpful!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
It could really depend on your field. They can all be very similar.

Currently I am a product/project manager (not my job title btw). But we also have program managers that work with us. I would also consider myself project lead in some ways.

I have programs that I am in charge of from an Engineering aspect. Design, testing, troubleshooting etc. But, I also have resources (employees that do not work directly for me) that I must rely on to do all of my CAD and some other aspecs of my job. So I must make sure they are doing what I ask, check that they did it correctly and on time.

I guess in the end I do not know what I am maybe a little bit of everything.

Our program managers (also at other companies I have been with) work more on the overall timing and money aspects. Some of them were engineers at one time but most were not. They harass me about being on time and I harass whoever happens to be working on my stuff. There is some overlap as well. They deal with a lot of the quality issues while I deal with customer issues that don't pertain to me.

sorry, hope this doesn't cause confusion.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM

thanks sike0000.. I feel like I do a bit of everything that's why I'm a little confused.. basically, I'm in charge of one of our business units but am also a developer... I'm involved in all phases of the projects for this business unit.. everything from discussing the design of the app and new modules, documenting requirements, implementing them, moving the final product from development to production and also help maintain these apps. I also talk to customers on a regular basis as they need help with support and troubleshooting any issues that arise. What does that make me?

Our projects typically have deadlines but our customers use our app on a daily basis so support and maintenance is an ongoing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education