Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 09:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

A nephew I haven't talked to in five years calls up and says to me, "What do I do?" Huh??? The story he told was sickening. But I believe him because I've seen it first hand in other small town school systems.

It seems my great-neice is being ridiculed by the teacher and called 'stupid' in front of her classmates when she asks for help. The homework she does at home, that is checked by her parents, gets an F. Does this mean the parents are stupid, too?

These parents live on the wrong side of town because they are remodeling a house to resell. Her sister already quit school because of it. She's in GED and getttng top grades. The girl in trouble is ADD and little slowl she takes her meds. She is not hyper and she is not disruptive or belligerent in class. But her mother is dying.

Even worse, it seems like the principal is turning a blind eye. One of the teachers in question is the wife of a bigwig in town. Apparently we have a real power play going on and the kids are getting the short end.

What is the answer? What does nephew do to combat this "we don't allow poor, dumb kids in my chass syndrome? I think the teachers that indulge in this kind of school ,room shinanigans and the principal all need new jobs.

Last edited by linicx; 12-22-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
First step is to create a paper trail - put requests to the teacher and principal in writing (note or email) and keep a copy. Whenever the parent speaks to somebody at school, note the date & time, and a brief description of what was discussed. Have the child keep a log of what the teacher says to insult her, and where and when it happened. I recognize that this is adding a burden to an already overburdened child, but having documentation is necessary to stopping that kind of teaching malpractice.

If the child has not been evaluated by the school, request one in writing. If the results of the evaluation indicate the need for an IEP or 504 accommodations, make sure that the school creates a plan, then document the implementation (or lack thereof).

Once there is documentation to show what you described, enlist the assistance of an educational lawyer or advocate. Several of the ones in my area (PA) work on contingency.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM

Location: Not the end of the earth but, you can see it from here!
31 posts, read 60,053 times
I agree w/Maf763 - collect paper. I experienced something like similar with one of my sons many years ago and the first thing we did was send registered letters to the principal; copies to the superintendent and the school board.

It took about 1/2 a nano-second for the principal to contact us and defend the teacher - so we sent a copy of the letter to an attorney. The school didn't appreciate our stand or the publicity they received as a result of their stupid behavior. The teacher was asked to cease and desist or find another avenue for employment.

In the case of your great-niece, it doesn't appear that the teacher's behavior has been questioned - and it makes no sense to expose the child to any further behavior. It doesn't matter whether or not any child has "paper" on them (IEP, 504, etc.) NO teacher should be exhibiting this type of infantile (sorry, an infant would have better sense) behavior. For what it's worth, send the letter and see an attorney at the same time.

Good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with the little one.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,569 times
The first thing your nephew should do is to talk to the teacher. I'm not accusing the child of anything, but children have been known to stretch the truth. Find out if the teacher actually called the girl stupid. It is probably best to have the principal or another administrator present during the meeting. Talk to the teacher and principal and let them know that verbal humiliation will NOT be tolerated. I would take it from there.

How old is the child?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 AM

256 posts, read 888,687 times
yes keep everything...
have your nephew go and talk to the principle...(I had a teacher like this in 6th grade)
I hate school, But I am going to be a teacher---soo I can praise my students and make them enjoy learning....
not sure if the student can do this or not..record the teacher so you have proof she is saying that..
a nother thing is.. Is is just nephews lil one, or is it more....
if it just her, do they know her personally....if it was earlier in the year, I would say get her to another teacher.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
I agree, document everything and then go to administration. If there does not seem to be a remedy, take the matter up with the school board.
I am so sorry this is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education