Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Another favorite that is taking the boards by storm is 'rediculous'.....do you think it's merely a case of people trying to put more drama into their words or it is something much worse?
I have actually heard this one pronounced with some frequency among the kids these days. As in "That's REE-diculous." I make a point of stooping to redicule. Next time you hear it, ask the user for a definition. You'll get a blank stare or a demonstration that "ridiculous" is a synonym of "stupid" or "gay".

I'm borrowing a line from David Cross, but I've definitely been unable to stop noticing the misuse of "literally".

I've been seeing a lot of "could of", "would of" and "halve(s)". Halves. As in "I think he halves a lot of money. I dunno, tho... Could of been my mistake."

I hope that kids still write their assignments by hand because it seems that spellcheck is killing spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Another favorite that is taking the boards by storm is 'rediculous'.....do you think it's merely a case of people trying to put more drama into their words or it is something much worse?
Urban Dictionary: rediculous

4. rediculous 102 up, 158 down love ithate it

Intentional mispronunciation of "ridiculous" (based on the common misspelling) to indicate that something is ridiculous while also insinuating that somebody involved is stupid (i.e. implying that they are just as stupid as people who misspell "ridiculous").
Person1: John says Bruce Willis is in Star Wars
Person2: That is REDiculous (i.e. John's idea is ridiculous and John is also an idiot).

Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
I am wanting...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
What about when it's is used instead of its?

I heard two words in Minneapolis that really got on my nerves:

Imina (im IN ah), and finna (fin NAH).

Guy A: Whatchu finna do tonight?
Guy B: Imina go to the bar.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,909,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What about when it's is used instead of its?

I heard two words in Minneapolis that really got on my nerves:

Imina (im IN ah), and finna (fin NAH).

Guy A: Whatchu finna do tonight?
Guy B: Imina go to the bar.
Classics! They rank right up there with the Southern "Jeet"

Guy A: Jeet yet?
Guy B: Not yet. Wanna go to McDonalds and get sumpin?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Classics! They rank right up there with the Southern "Jeet"

Guy A: Jeet yet?
Guy B: Not yet. Wanna go to McDonalds and get sumpin?
Jeet!? Hilarious!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
Ugghhhh, apostrophes used to pluralize drive me crazy! This is especially annoying when used by someone who does not know the "change the Y to an I and add ES" rule. I recently saw something like this on craigslist: "I am pregnate and found out I am having twins. Dose anyone have cribs, diapers, bottles, and other things I will need for two baby's?" No, no, no!!! (Well, actually this illustrates another pet peeve of mine, but it has nothing to do with grammar.)

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM

901 posts, read 2,983,246 times
I agree that there are many common mistakes made on message boards. It's easy to make mistakes when you are typing fast and not really checking what you typed. I actually typed your instead of you're recently. I was embarrassed.

Also, my spelling is terrible. Thank goodness for spell check.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Grammatically, my pet peeve is "where's it at?" I am amazed how many educated people say this.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,841,351 times
I don't know if teachers are now telling students this is correct or what, but it's EVERYWHERE:

alot

It's A LOT. It's two words. It always was and it always should be. It's now causing some people to write things like "alittle" and "afew." No, no, noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I care about this A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education