Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 11:30 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I wanted to pick your brains about a quirky thing with my almost 10yr old.

She is a great student, I'd say she's probably of average intelligence but a hard worker. She gets pretty much straight As with a little struggle in math (an A-) but nothing serious at this point. She reads way above grade level, is social, well behaved, and an all round great kid. Standardized test scores are all at or above grade level.

Anyway, she has a terrible sense of time. She's never quite sure what day of the week it is, what happens today, what month it is, when school lets out for the summer, how far until Christmas vs. 4th of July. She always is surprised that she has soccer practice, even though she's had soccer practice at on the same days for months. That kind of thing. She also struggled to learn clocks and time in math but has since figured it out. Although I'm not even sure she really has or she has just memorized how to answer time questions.

It's honestly quite odd. My first grader gets this stuff with no problem at all. We've bought her a calendar, she has two clocks in her room, we talk every morning about what's going on today. But half the time I ask her what day it is, she's off a day.

Is this some kind of learning disability? Is there anything we should be doing to help her? She honestly excels at all other areas of her life so far so I really haven't wanted to go get her tested or anything but I heard her friend say something the other day that "M never knows what's going on" and unfortunately I think it's kind of true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Temporal-sequential ordering.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Thanks, but she hasn't got an issue with completing her work on time or with organization. She has a planner and has to check it but she's very organized about what she has to do for homework...as long as it's in the planner.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Same thing with my 10yo (Still he's 17 now).

@ 10yo everything went into his Classroom Planner. Soccer, Family Activities ... Everything.

@ 14yo in HS he want to App.

@ 17yo He has a "App" for that everything goes on to his Online Calendar. I Send him meeting notices now..

Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Same thing with my 10yo (Still he's 17 now).

@ 10yo everything went into his Classroom Planner. Soccer, Family Activities ... Everything.

@ 14yo in HS he want to App.

@ 17yo He has a "App" for that everything goes on to his Online Calendar. I Send him meeting notices now..
It's so nice to hear of another child like mine, thank you. So I guess we just continue as we have. Has he had any learning struggles at all? It just blows my mind that a kid who does so well in school can be so disconnected from reality.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Hi all. I wanted to pick your brains about a quirky thing with my almost 10yr old.

She is a great student, I'd say she's probably of average intelligence but a hard worker. She gets pretty much straight As with a little struggle in math (an A-) but nothing serious at this point. She reads way above grade level, is social, well behaved, and an all round great kid. Standardized test scores are all at or above grade level.

Anyway, she has a terrible sense of time. She's never quite sure what day of the week it is, what happens today, what month it is, when school lets out for the summer, how far until Christmas vs. 4th of July. She always is surprised that she has soccer practice, even though she's had soccer practice at on the same days for months. That kind of thing. She also struggled to learn clocks and time in math but has since figured it out. Although I'm not even sure she really has or she has just memorized how to answer time questions.

It's honestly quite odd. My first grader gets this stuff with no problem at all. We've bought her a calendar, she has two clocks in her room, we talk every morning about what's going on today. But half the time I ask her what day it is, she's off a day.

Is this some kind of learning disability? Is there anything we should be doing to help her? She honestly excels at all other areas of her life so far so I really haven't wanted to go get her tested or anything but I heard her friend say something the other day that "M never knows what's going on" and unfortunately I think it's kind of true.
She sounds like me!!!! I forget my own birthday, often have to think about it if I'm ask how old I am, how old my kids are, how long it is to whatever holiday, or what day of the week it is - worse, I don't always get it right. But, I can remember all kinds of other things with ease, including minute facts. I thought I was the only one like that until I started teaching and ran into students with the same issue every so many years.

I learned that as long as I was good about making myself check times/dates regularly throughout the day and kept a meticulous calendar I did fine. IPhones with their lovely, marvelous calendars that you can set up with alerts are an absolute godsend, and have basically wiped out most of the problems I used to encounter.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,791,583 times
Don't know. Interesting. Maybe some subset of ADD (no H) or specific type of LD?

Luckily, technology is on her side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education