Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,891,385 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember learning this funky way to count and calculate in elementary school? I had a math teacher in the late 70s who had studied this method and taught it to us in first grade. We could add and subtract easily using our fingers.

If I remember it correctly, the fingers on my right hand each represented a count of 1, the thumb represneted 5. On the left hand, each finger was a 10 and the thumb was a 50. It sounds confusing, but it really worked!

Did anyone else learn this method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,345,277 times
Oh my goodness. That is EXACTLY how I was taught counting, and to my detriment I might add. I had forgotten the name until I saw your post. To this day, I STILL "count it off", on my fingers for any math facts. NEVER memorized any math facts at all. Yes, I'm a seventies child. This was a problem for me throughout school. Embarresing (sp?) to count on my fingers, secretly held under the desk or wherever as I got older.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,794,441 times
I never learned it, but I remember when I was a kid in the 70's there were always commercials on for it. I think Fred MacMurray (the dad on My Three Sons) was the host/spokesman, right?

My school district never taught it, and I remember kids getting in trouble for "counting on their fingers" in school, so it would have been frowned upon.

I guess Chisanbop went down the same road as Evelyn Wood Speed-Reading Dynamics!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,367,912 times
I vaguely remember it but I guess it didn't take. I found this link that shows the method: Chisenbop tutorial

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM

268 posts, read 1,047,512 times
My nephew was struggling with multiplications with numbers > 6, so I taught him this. Worked like a charm (he was already counting with his fingers anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education