Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,442,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I don't see the purpose of young children watching the inauguration. Not because of missing two periods, because in the scheme of things that's not a big deal. But because of the fact that many kids think when the TV comes out it is goof off time, and besides young kids are not going to be interested in what is going on, generally.
Isn't that actually a fairly good reason to have kids watch the inauguration in school - that TV isn't just for goofing off?

The inauguration is also an important part of our political process ... an important part of who we are as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,886,495 times
I can't believe parents think it's more important to sit in class absorbing boring lectures on subjects that may or may not be important than it is for kids to experience living history.

The inauguration is iiving history. I assure you that my 4th grader understands what it means to have an inauguration. He understands that this particular president is historically important. I think it will benefit kids tremendously to see how our government works and witness our peaceful exchange of leadership.

Very young kids (K-2) might not get much out of it by the OP was talking about secondary school students. I can't imagine that they are learning anything more important than living history in their other classes.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,751,909 times
It's an historic event, one that will never happen again. I think it's an excellent idea for the children to watch it. Nothing makes the same impression as watching something of such significance live, rather than taped. It's not going to hurt your kids to miss a couple class periods. If it does, then they are having trouble in school anyway.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:14 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,709,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Okay, so I was going to ask my middle schooler when she came home today if they were going to be watching it. This is because on the news another area school district had a huge showing of parents all up in arms that they were NOT going to be showing it on Tuesday. The school board relented and now they are making ALL of their students watch it. So my daughter comes home and says they are making EVERYONE gather in the gym to watch it.

What do you think?
What are the schools in your area doing?
With the way we are nowadays it can be recorded and viewed later?
Kids can watch bits of it that are important in history class and discuss it?
Most adults are going to be working and won't be able to watch it, so why not view it together as a family that night on tivo or whatever?

The one "issue" I'm having is that the kids are going to be missing 2 class periods of instruction in order to view it when the day before they were out for a Federal holiday. This means that a 4 day instructional week has now been cut down to practicially 3 in at least 2 subjects. I'd personally MUCH RATHER watch it as a family TOGETHER. I know I'm not going to be able to see it myself "live" as I'm already scheduled for medical appointments that are not going to be canceled.
Wow, I asked my daughter (9th grade) if they were gonna have an assembly or something to view it. She said, "why?"

I replied, "it's history". Anytime a president is inagurated it's history in the making. We did when I was in highschool-back in the days.

When I was in elementary school I remember making campaign hats for Ford.
It's not about picking sides- let any school do this for ALL their congresspeople/senators/mayor- whoever regardless of party.

The big deal is the leader of the free world is being placed into power. The Commander in Chief of the worlds strongest military might is taking the reigns.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,637,484 times
After I posted last night I got to thinking about all the days my kids missed an entire day of school for a field trip, often to some place they had been before such as the Museum of Nature and Science. Let 'em watch it! I just wish I could watch at work. I will probably be giving some poor kid immunizations just as Obama takes the oath of office.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,487,289 times
I'm not sure why this would take up so much of the school day. The oath of office is to be administered at noon. It seems like you could easily just watch a bit of the parade and the oath and that would be it. I was kind of wondering logistically how this would work in our local elementary and middle schools because we don't have televisions in those schools cafeterias. I'm hoping I can catch a bit of it during my lunch break on my computer at work. It will be live on C-Span.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,838,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
It's not going to hurt your kids to miss a couple class periods. If it does, then they are having trouble in school anyway.
No, my kids are NOT having trouble in school at all.

As for everyone else......... I am NOT saying it is not a "big deal". What has me concerned for SOME students is the FACT that in the next few weeks they are going to be taking the state standardized tests (courtesy of "W" from NCLB ) and it is a BIG DEAL! If they don't pass it they can't go onto the next grade. It also dictates the "ratings" the schools receive and the funds they get. They won't be watching it during lunch either. It will be during 2 class periods of instruction. Throw in that they are off of school the day before and if anyone has kids in school you know how those "short weeks" are and what little work gets accomplished. The teachers have to throw something out of the curriculium. I don't remember EVER watching ANY inauguration on tv live at all during school. I do remember watching the shuttle blow up and seeing the 2nd plane hit the WTC live.

No, I won't be watching it either and neither will our employees. First I will be getting a medical procedure done that in MY LIFE is FAR more important. I do HOPE that the techs doing the tests are NOT paying attention to the inauguration instead of what they are doing to me. If they ARE going to be more concerned with it and stop everything I hope they call in advance and let me know so that I'm not sitting in that hospital for longer than I should be waiting and wondering what in the heck is taking so long........ I'll have other things on my mind besides what is going on in DC. As for the office.......... we don't have a tv w/ cable reception, our customers don't stop and shut down production lines, working, etc. They expect us to be there "come hell or high water". And the employees that are out on the roads driving our trucks...... I hope they are paying attention to the roads and not a tv . Again, not saying it is NOT a "big deal" just that there are some out there that life can't stop in order to see this event "live".

Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,637,484 times
See my previous post about all the time kids miss going on field trips, to assemblies, and the like. Every time my kids went on a trip to Denver, they missed the equivalent of two periods just riding on the bus down and back!

If you don't want to watch it, that is fine.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,838,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
See my previous post about all the time kids miss going on field trips, to assemblies, and the like. Every time my kids went on a trip to Denver, they missed the equivalent of two periods just riding on the bus down and back!

If you don't want to watch it, that is fine.
Our district does not allow a ton of field trips. The school my youngest attends is only allowed 2 field trips per school year. One is usually to see a local high school play/musical and they are typically gone about an hour.

I'm not saying that I would REFUSE to watch it. I just have FAR MORE IMPORTANT things going on that day at that time. Sorry, but my life is more important. The sooner we know what is going on the sooner we know what treatment/course of action to take.

I guess a new question then would be:
If you were scheduled to have surgery that day and not an "elective" surgery for something cosmetic.......... would you reschedule it so that you could watch it "live"?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,777,393 times
I remember being in my gifted and talented class when we saw 9/11 happen...I don't know what we were watching before then but yeah.
Once class let out, I remember kids just going crazy! Everyone felt a sense of panic....

If the kids watched the inauguration of President Bush at a certain school...then why not for Obama but to make a special case out of Obama...eh...I dunno.

I can understand if the kids are in Social Studies/History/American History/Civics/whatever class and letting them watch it but....I feel like if the kids or their parents really want them to watch it, they'd TIVO it at home, keep their kids home and watch it, or take their kids to D.C. and see it.

I think it would be a good idea to have it playing in the background or on mute and if something really important comes on, the teacher can explain it.

As one poster mention, standardized tests are coming up for some kids and we're taking important time away to "prepare" kids for the test.

If the whole school is going to be made to watch it in a special room or whatnot, students should be allowed to opt out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education