Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Okay, so I was going to ask my middle schooler when she came home today if they were going to be watching it. This is because on the news another area school district had a huge showing of parents all up in arms that they were NOT going to be showing it on Tuesday. The school board relented and now they are making ALL of their students watch it. So my daughter comes home and says they are making EVERYONE gather in the gym to watch it.

What do you think?
What are the schools in your area doing?
With the way we are nowadays it can be recorded and viewed later?
Kids can watch bits of it that are important in history class and discuss it?
Most adults are going to be working and won't be able to watch it, so why not view it together as a family that night on tivo or whatever?

The one "issue" I'm having is that the kids are going to be missing 2 class periods of instruction in order to view it when the day before they were out for a Federal holiday. This means that a 4 day instructional week has now been cut down to practicially 3 in at least 2 subjects. I'd personally MUCH RATHER watch it as a family TOGETHER. I know I'm not going to be able to see it myself "live" as I'm already scheduled for medical appointments that are not going to be canceled.
Do they not still teach history in school? Badda Bing....it is history ANYTIME a new president takes the oath.

Nuff said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
THANK YOU ConceivedinKY51...

My sentiments exactly.!! Nobody decides for me what my child will or will not learn.
If your child goes to school, any school, of course that is decided for you. He (or she) has to learn what's in the curriculum, which the school or the State (depending on private or public) has chosen.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think the importance of the inauguration is based on the race of the president elect, although it is an historic event.

In my opinion the thing that makes the inauguration of a president an important educational event is the fact that it illustrates how our government works. It provides kids with an opportunity to see how we hand over power, bloodlessly, and peacefully. They know there was an election. They got to see the beginning of the process. Now they should see how a new administration begins.

I was not an Obama supporter during the campaign. My support for kids watching this process has nothing to do with him and everything to do with providing kids with an educational experience that is RELEVANT to their lives.
But your children - and everybody else's - should not be FORCED by the school system to watch it!! It should be your CHOICE as a parent but it shouldn't be forced upon anyone; no matter WHO is becoming president!!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:31 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
WTH!? I've never heard of students being forced to watch an inauguration before. That's bs! I'd tell my kid they can stay home that day if they don't want to watch it or pick them up early.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Even though I don't like Obama much, I think its okay to miss a few hours of school to watch a historical event.
Yeah, me too. In fact, I think they should do it more often.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, me too. In fact, I think they should do it more often.
And HERE LIES THE PROBLEM FOLKS!!! Four years ago, eight years ago, 12 years ago............ class was not canceled for this and kids made to watch. Every student was not shown the inauguration LIVE IN class then. They may have touched on it in history class. But it was not deemed as "HISTORIC" then. Why!?!?!?! Of course I know the answer that some will come back with on that one. As someone else pointed out......... the color of the persons skin nor their gender is what I'm interested in. Four years ago we put a guy in office for a second term (that I did not vote for) but many across the country thought HE was "THE BEST" thing going. Yet our kids were not sat in class or an auditorium to watch it.

Yes, some schools had "mock elections". Big deal. That did not teach them ANYTHING about the process that a person goes thru to get elected President of the United States. If they really wanted to teach the process they would have divised a plan to have precincts. Voted by precinct. Gathered "votes" depending upon the number of voters in that precinct that voted in that primary from the PREVIOUS election. Elected delegates to attend the local "primary" for their party of choice. From there they would have elected delegates to attend the state primary and then onto the national convention. "Votes" cast at that then an election held on who won the parties. An electoral college would have been put into place to determine the outcome of the votes since we can't just say that Candidate A w/ 500 votes won over Candidate B w/ 450 votes. THIS is far more important of a lesson for them to learn than just seeing the inauguration, imho. And I've tried to do my best to teach my kids this and tried my best to be a part of it. Served as a Delegate for the Democratic Party from my local precinct.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
WTH!? I've never heard of students being forced to watch an inauguration before. That's bs! I'd tell my kid they can stay home that day if they don't want to watch it or pick them up early.
You have apparently not been following this thread, then. Several people spoke of watching Kennedy's inauguration in 1961. Others watched vairous other news events. My 5th/6th grade class watched the 1960 World Series!

The inauguration is at noon. You gonna pick them up then? The OP is upset that her kids will have to watch 2 hrs of inaugural coverage. She lives in Dallas, so it will be at 11 AM there. Do you think it's appropriate for a kid to miss the rest of the school day b/c you're upset they have to watch two hours of the inauguration, some of which will be over the lunch hour?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
But your children - and everybody else's - should not be FORCED by the school system to watch it!! It should be your CHOICE as a parent but it shouldn't be forced upon anyone; no matter WHO is becoming president!!
Why should it be a choice? Do you get to choose any of your kids other class activities?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I remember watching the inauguration of JIMMY CARTER in elementary school.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
THANK YOU ConceivedinKY51...

My sentiments exactly.!! Nobody decides for me what my child will or will not learn.
Unless you homeschool your children then the school does decide what your children learn (and do not learn). It makes no difference whether your children attend a public or private school. Every school has a curriculum and the people at the school decide what to teach (and what will be left out).

I doubt that you get to choose each and every activity that your children do in school. Unless you are in each classroom approving each and every activity someone else IS deciding what your child will and will not learn.

Can you tell me what is so objectionable about watching an inauguration?

Last edited by Momma_bear; 01-18-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Poor choices of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education