Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
And HERE LIES THE PROBLEM FOLKS!!! Four years ago, eight years ago, 12 years ago............ class was not canceled for this and kids made to watch. Every student was not shown the inauguration LIVE IN class then. They may have touched on it in history class. But it was not deemed as "HISTORIC" then. Why!?!?!?! Of course I know the answer that some will come back with on that one. As someone else pointed out......... the color of the persons skin nor their gender is what I'm interested in. Four years ago we put a guy in office for a second term (that I did not vote for) but many across the country thought HE was "THE BEST" thing going. Yet our kids were not sat in class or an auditorium to watch it.

Yes, some schools had "mock elections". Big deal. That did not teach them ANYTHING about the process that a person goes thru to get elected President of the United States. If they really wanted to teach the process they would have divised a plan to have precincts. Voted by precinct. Gathered "votes" depending upon the number of voters in that precinct that voted in that primary from the PREVIOUS election. Elected delegates to attend the local "primary" for their party of choice. From there they would have elected delegates to attend the state primary and then onto the national convention. "Votes" cast at that then an election held on who won the parties. An electoral college would have been put into place to determine the outcome of the votes since we can't just say that Candidate A w/ 500 votes won over Candidate B w/ 450 votes. THIS is far more important of a lesson for them to learn than just seeing the inauguration, imho. And I've tried to do my best to teach my kids this and tried my best to be a part of it. Served as a Delegate for the Democratic Party from my local precinct.
Well, not everything else is the same in school as it was 4, 8, or 12 years ago, either, let alone almost 50 years ago when Kennedy was inaugurated. Back then, in most schools, teachers had to bring in TVs if the kids were to watch anything. (That's how we watched the World Series.)

This is history. The first African-American president is being inaugurated. I see no problem with kids watching it for two hours, including most likely time over their lunch hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is history. The first African-American president is being inaugurated. I see no problem with kids watching it for two hours, including most likely time over their lunch hour.
1. Your saying it IS a "black thing" then. Got it. However, many are trying to say it is not. Would you feel the same way if Hillary was being sworn in? Just curious?

2. They are NOT going to be watching it while they eat. It will be a "disruption" per se in the day where the kids are sat in one area be it in their individual classrooms, gym or auditorium and watching it straight thru. No dismissing a few classes at a time to go eat their lunch and NO EATING LUNCH during the event. Then the kids will be sent back to class and the school will have delayed lunches throughout the day. In my oldest childs school there are 4 lunch periods. If the inauguration starts at 11:00 am then by the time it is over and lunches can begin your looking at it being around 1:00 before the FIRST lunch period begins. The last one will start around 2:45. No, I don't really find THIS acceptable. Total lack of common sense on this one.

I'm not against them watching it "live". I'm against the whole hoopla that all of a sudden it is a "big deal" AND the fact it will be to view the ENTIRE pomp and circumstance. The kids don't really need to see all 2 hours of it. Right now as I see it all hint that common sense is alive has flown out the window. Each room has a tv but that is not what A FEW want so to pacify the FEW the kids have to suffer (ask the adults to not eat or drink a single thing during the entire thing). They want the ENTIRE student body stopped and pulled "together" to watch the event "live". If they were left to watch it in their classrooms and lunches went as normal and a large screen setup in the cafeteria that would be MUCH better. I also think that would serve a better audenience to be able to discuss anything that may come up during the event.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Wow, are people really upset or defiant over schools deciding that rather than teach from a book, they are going to allow their students watch history live. Years from now people will remember where they were and the discussions they had when this historical event took place. It amazes me what some people will choose to complain of.
This is not going to be the event that people remember where they were when they saw it. JFK, yes. Challenger exploding, yes. A routine inauguration (did they stop the schools in '93 or '00?) will not be remember by 3rd graders. What they probably will remember more is all photo-ops by famous celebrities that will want to be seen on by the TV cameras.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
This is not going to be the event that people remember where they were when they saw it. JFK, yes. Challenger exploding, yes. A routine inauguration (did they stop the schools in '93 or '00?) will not be remember by 3rd graders. What they probably will remember more is all photo-ops by famous celebrities that will want to be seen on by the TV cameras.
I respectfully disagree. I think children today are pretty aware of the importance of Obama being elected. I do believe they will remember it in the years to come.

My school district here in Tx isn't showing it and I am disappointed in that. My children's school (I have 6th and 7th graders) held mock elections, debates etc... They followed the election pretty heavily and worked it into a lot of their classes, social studies and english especially. I think it is important to watch the political process be fullfilled no matter who is elected. The peaceful transfer of power is one of the cornerstones of democracy and is something that should be glorified not put down as "routine".

I will be taping this for my children so they can see it when they get home. After all they stayed up half the night to see who won, they should at least get to see our next president sworn in.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
1. Your saying it IS a "black thing" then. Got it. However, many are trying to say it is not. Would you feel the same way if Hillary was being sworn in? Just curious?

2. They are NOT going to be watching it while they eat. It will be a "disruption" per se in the day where the kids are sat in one area be it in their individual classrooms, gym or auditorium and watching it straight thru. No dismissing a few classes at a time to go eat their lunch and NO EATING LUNCH during the event. Then the kids will be sent back to class and the school will have delayed lunches throughout the day. In my oldest childs school there are 4 lunch periods. If the inauguration starts at 11:00 am then by the time it is over and lunches can begin your looking at it being around 1:00 before the FIRST lunch period begins. The last one will start around 2:45. No, I don't really find THIS acceptable. Total lack of common sense on this one.

I'm not against them watching it "live". I'm against the whole hoopla that all of a sudden it is a "big deal" AND the fact it will be to view the ENTIRE pomp and circumstance. The kids don't really need to see all 2 hours of it. Right now as I see it all hint that common sense is alive has flown out the window. Each room has a tv but that is not what A FEW want so to pacify the FEW the kids have to suffer (ask the adults to not eat or drink a single thing during the entire thing). They want the ENTIRE student body stopped and pulled "together" to watch the event "live". If they were left to watch it in their classrooms and lunches went as normal and a large screen setup in the cafeteria that would be MUCH better. I also think that would serve a better audenience to be able to discuss anything that may come up during the event.
No, it's not a "black thing", whatever that means. It is history. Hillary Clinton's inauguration as the first woman president would have been history, too. I remain unconvinced by all your reasoning. I think it's an educational thing for the kids to see HOW a president is inaugurated.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
If it were a white guy taking the oath of office and your kid's school required watching it, would you complain? I don't think so. Heck, I voted for McCain, but I recognize a historical moment when I see it.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have apparently not been following this thread, then. Several people spoke of watching Kennedy's inauguration in 1961. Others watched vairous other news events. My 5th/6th grade class watched the 1960 World Series!

The inauguration is at noon. You gonna pick them up then? The OP is upset that her kids will have to watch 2 hrs of inaugural coverage. She lives in Dallas, so it will be at 11 AM there. Do you think it's appropriate for a kid to miss the rest of the school day b/c you're upset they have to watch two hours of the inauguration, some of which will be over the lunch hour?
No, I just read the first post. I still stand by what I said, I've never seen a school force students to watch--or even offer it, for that matter.

If I had school-aged children who didn't want to watch, of course I'd pick them up. It's not like missing the inauguration is going to ruin their lives. I used to sometimes surprise my children by showing up at their school early to pick them up and take them to lunch on their birthday and let them miss the rest of the day. It didn't devastate their educations. This won't either.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
What exactly is the problem? Kids go on field trips and parents don't complain. Kids miss when they are sick and there isn't a big deal made of missed work.

This is a couple hours ONE DAY ONLY. The way some sound here you'd think they were forced to miss a week of school and sit in front of a TV the entire time and worship some evil god.

What kind of problem do you have when they have an assembly for some outside reason?

I'd rather my kids watch the thing on TV during school and know what people are talking about than to be ignorant to it.

I don't think it's being shown at school as a black/white thing, but I DO think that what it is to the OP. If it was a white president being inaugurated, would you have the same problem with it being televised in school?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I remember the '93 inauguration that I watched with my kindergarten class when they had us all in the auditorium to watch. I also watched with my 4th grade class again in 97 after we had done a mock election leading up to the event which I remember, and was in DC at the end of 2000 protesting the Supreme Court decision at the ripe old age of 12.

Thank goodness my parents taught me the value of the true important things in life. Studying for a standardized test during an important event is not one of them.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Thank goodness my parents taught me the value of the true important things in life. Studying for a standardized test during an important event is not one of them.
Bravo ! ! I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education