Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

"Violent" children are typically removed and are dealt with through the juvenile legal system. Disabled children, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"Violent" children are typically removed and are dealt with through the juvenile legal system. Disabled children, not so much.
Kids who are disabled can become violent. Especially those that suffer from conditions like autism who experience a whole bunch of sensory overload.

I realize that not all disabled children become violent. It is limited to very few, but those few kids can ruin an entire school.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Well, when a public school district

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not legal to disallow them from attending, however. So if the parents don't WANT them in a special school, or can't afford one, no public school district is allowed to restrict access to a free public education to any child based on disability. There's where your lawsuits will come in...denying a dsiabled child, or any child, access to a free public education. So not legal.
HAS special autistic classrooms for a medically diagnosed austistic child, there is no legal reason for them to be in a mainstream classroom, especially when they pose a physical danger to other children. THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:08 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
HAS special autistic classrooms for a medically diagnosed austistic child, there is no legal reason for them to be in a mainstream classroom, especially when they pose a physical danger to other children. THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Depends on the Individual Education Plan. Least restrictive environment.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:28 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,691 times
My son, who is ruled EMD--emotionally disturbed--can definitely benefit from a safe room. He has thrown chairs and books, hit other children, etc. He has bipolar disorder as well as some other mental health issues.
My school has a safe room for the self-contained EMD students. When you have a 120 pound child out of control, the safest thing for them and everyone around them is to put them in a place where they can't get to things to hurt themselves or others.
My son is currently in a residential treatment facility. They have a time-out room, they use physical restraint, etc. For the appropriate population, it is necessary to have precautions for the children who are violent and those around them.
And I do think these kids need to have some exposure to the "regular" world--mainstream school--so they can learn how to function, but they also need intensive help in addition to that. Seperate schools won't accomplish that.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
In an elementary school I worked in a number of years ago, when a student got way out of control we crossed his arms in front of him, and held him from the back until he calmed down, holding on to his arms (hard to explain, but it worked for a couple of pretty violent boys, 5th and 6th grades). It was a maneuver that worked for all staff.
We do that with my nephew that is severly autistic. He has major outbursts where he hits, kicks, etc. It works for a little bit, then he goes back to it. It has gotten so bad, my sister is having to put him in a home.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 PM

Default IEP's are not written stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
and can be changed very quickly when there is a reason for it. Seen that happen in a matter of weeks.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Default That is why I said the school district

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
My son, who is ruled EMD--emotionally disturbed--can definitely benefit from a safe room. He has thrown chairs and books, hit other children, etc. He has bipolar disorder as well as some other mental health issues.
My school has a safe room for the self-contained EMD students. When you have a 120 pound child out of control, the safest thing for them and everyone around them is to put them in a place where they can't get to things to hurt themselves or others.
My son is currently in a residential treatment facility. They have a time-out room, they use physical restraint, etc. For the appropriate population, it is necessary to have precautions for the children who are violent and those around them.
And I do think these kids need to have some exposure to the "regular" world--mainstream school--so they can learn how to function, but they also need intensive help in addition to that. Seperate schools won't accomplish that.
does have autistic classrooms in several mainstream schools. They have the staff and facilities for this. When these kids are able to cope more with a mainstream envornment, they send them out to recess, mainstream classes, etc. If they cannot cope, they keep them solely in their self contained classroom, with all the backup help that is necessary (ABS, Behavior Plans, time out rooms, etc.)

The boy I work with has none of the above at this school he is in.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Kids who are disabled can become violent. Especially those that suffer from conditions like autism who experience a whole bunch of sensory overload.

I realize that not all disabled children become violent. It is limited to very few, but those few kids can ruin an entire school.
Exactly (I work with autistic children, many of whom physically aggress and self-injure, so I see it every day). This is why schools, both public and private, that serve disabled children who physically aggress often do have safe rooms, as much for their own protection as anything. Isolation is a controversial thing, though, very much so. So not all facilities incorporate its use.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education