Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 AM

245 posts, read 385,838 times

Advertisements

I've got 2 nephews and they like to read. They are 7 and 9 and read about a 250 page book every other day because they want to. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Yes. Lots of kids love to read.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I have heard of it. There are some kids that are bookworms. Some that are gamers, some that are internet and TV junkies. I think it is only harmful when they miss out on life because of it. Too much of anything is not good. I know that as an adult. The more time I spend reading, and I love reading, and the more time I spend on the internet the less I live.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I am so glad to hear of young people wanting to read. The better they read, the better they will do in school. I read like this when I was in school and it really helped me study.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
I was like them at that age, I always loved to read.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I keep seeing so many parents bragging about how much their kids love to read, that I am starting to think my daughter is the odd one because she hates reading.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I keep seeing so many parents bragging about how much their kids love to read, that I am starting to think my daughter is the odd one because she hates reading.
Lol, some kids don't like reading and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I think it's great that they are reading so much and hope they continue. What I've seen for some kids, especially boys, is that once they get to about 12 they find other things that are more appealing or they have to read so much for school that the only time they do pleasure reading is in the summer. Yay Readers!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
250 pages every 2 days is a bit Heavy for ANY reader... Most books of that age genre are ~80 - 100 pages. I and my kids would haul an armload / every 2 weeks @ that age, but your nephews would need a forklift for every 2 weeks. I bet they need glasses early too...

Reading (and radio drama) is GREAT for imagination and being ENGAGED in your entertainment (at any age).

As a home school family we worked (read) in public schools every week. The school kids were really PLEASED to be engaged with my kids reading to the and having a WHOLE family work together to help them be successful and become excited readers.

Now that my kids have fled the nest... I have BOXES / shelves of their books, and it is a SURE thing we ALWAYS look for special books for each other, especially rare and out of print stuff. I suspect our Library will be the LAST room to downsize, tho I'm an active 'giver' to Paperbackbookswap (not restricted to paper OR paperback, and a great place to find 'out-of-print' treasures).

Books are nice to hold onto...

Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is something else that comes before reading. First, a child must learn to form concepts in his mind, based on a processing of language. Once that level is reached, then reading books can be a satisfactory way of receiving information about the world. But if that level is not reached, then reading is unlikely to be a fulfilling way of experiencing the world.

Sadly, there are no child-oriented radio programs anymore, so every child becomes exposed to the world only through TV, which fills in all the mental pictures for them. With TV in every house, it is surprising that any children read at all anymore.

Also, reading is contagious, and children are impressionable. A child who sees others getting pleasure from reading will be inclined to want to try it himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education