Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
KGR KGR started this thread

12 posts, read 35,638 times

Advertisements

I've read about alot of places here on city-data.com and it seems like most people are not too impressed with their local public school system. Does anyone think that their local public school system is good and if so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,862,320 times
NoVA has great public schools. I went to a high-scoring system in Southern VA (York Co.) and moved here to a system which scored realtively lower than most of NoVA and my former system. My NoVA system (Alexandria City) challenged me more and had a lot of opportunites for careers and scholarships than my southern VA school.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,133,339 times
New Jersey in general has good public schools, including the town I live in and most of the neighboring towns.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,150,608 times
I went to wonderful public schools in Alberta, Canada. Although I'm aware you probably meant the US. I can tell you though in general I am a lot more impressed with the public school system in Canada than here.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,444,589 times
Connecticut has many great public schools. Most are good except the urban areas have some not so great ones, unfortunately.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,910,282 times
look at the chamber of commerce site to see how states faired in general.
http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

I have had kid in Peter's Township PA schools south of Pittburg and they were EXCELLENT.
Now we are in NOVA and the schools here are great as well. A little too much emphasis on the state testing etc... but great none the less.

as a kid i moved form Fairfax county schools to Houston Texas schools and was very far ahead.....I did nothing for the entire 7th grade...it was all review for me. except Texas History!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:12 AM

6,620 posts, read 16,632,469 times
Not trying to be a wise a@@, and not trying to hijack this thread, but what is a "good" school? Most $ spent/pupil? Highest test scores? Newest buidlings? Biggest parking lots? Most racially diverse? Best educated teachers? Fewest kids on subsidized lunch programs? Winningest athletic programs? Smallest enrollments? Best arts programs? Nicest neighborhood? Etc., etc. .....

I honestly don't know what people mean when they say a school is "good" or "bad". There are so many dimensions to this.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,133,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not trying to be a wise a@@, and not trying to hijack this thread, but what is a "good" school?
It's a valid question, one that I've been thinking about lately, myself. To me, a good school is a school with low disciplinary rates, low drop out rates, very high graduation rate, and a high rate of students moving on to college. I have also been able to find, for some schools, stats on standardized testing scores (federal tests + ACT/SAT), the # of years of teaching the average teacher has, and average class size. These are the factors that are important to me. I don't care about how new the building is, or extracurricular activities. I want to know that my future children will learn what they need to know, to be successful in college and beyond. I also want my future children to be able to learn in a safe, peaceful environment. No matter how good the teachers are, kids can't learn if there are a lot of disciplinary problems going on among their peers.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,632,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It's a valid question, one that I've been thinking about lately, myself. To me, a good school is a school with low disciplinary rates, low drop out rates, very high graduation rate, and a high rate of students moving on to college. I have also been able to find, for some schools, stats on standardized testing scores (federal tests + ACT/SAT), the # of years of teaching the average teacher has, and average class size. These are the factors that are important to me. I don't care about how new the building is, or extracurricular activities. I want to know that my future children will learn what they need to know, to be successful in college and beyond. I also want my future children to be able to learn in a safe, peaceful environment. No matter how good the teachers are, kids can't learn if there are a lot of disciplinary problems going on among their peers.
I think many would agree with your assessment. But aren't these really characteristics of the student body, not the school itself? I've always thought it is a bizarre concept to "penalize" or "reward" shcools that "perform" well, as some legislators and administrators want to do. Some schools just don't have much to work with.

Also, one of my kids (who is now in college) has always been a natural learner. She had what we considered good teachers and bad teachers at her public school. I always believed that she is such an agressive learner that she could take the worst teacher in the world, grab them by the lapels, and wring every bit of every thing worth learning from them. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good teachers and bad teachers, but any school or any teacher that has a group of good learners is going to look pretty good.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,460,101 times
Most suburban school districts around Syracuse, NY are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education