Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times

Advertisements

I have a Bachelors in Journalism and Mass Communications.

I am about to return to school to work on my second Bachelors in the fall, and then I plan on getting my Masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I graduated from HS only. I took over 30 different college courses throughout a 20 year stint in the Navy. Philosophy, business law, astronomy, English Lit, composition, etc. I have spent over 4 years, cumulative, in technical courses in the service and at factory schools. I should have gotten my degree at some point, but life seemed to be in the way.

When I was 20, I knew the life I'd have. It wasn't this one. I'm not complaining. The road forks and twists where it will. And will we, or nill we, that's the road we followed.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Default I Don't Know What I Am?! LOL!

Well, I guess I'm in "transition." Considering I'm 20 and currently enrolled at King's College, I chose "Associate's Degree", since I have nearly 60 credit hours completed at this point, or the equivalency of a two-year degree. I'll be graduating with around 128 credits, thanks to taking some extra 1-credit courses here and there, in 2009 with my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. I then plan to pursue a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) in Accounting from the University of Scranton by 2010, and I hope to possibly even go on to obtain my Ph.D. in Economics from Lehigh University or Cornell University to make myself "stand out" from the rest of my colleagues as I try to "stand out" to prospective employers. I've also long had a passion for urban planning, and I could realistically see myself going back to school for a degree in urban planning, as well as a degree in architecture from Syracuse University. Wow! Looks like I'll be in school until I'm 40! LOL! While I'm at it, the Scranton Area will be getting a new medical school and a new law school by 2009, so perhaps I'll be Dr. Atty. Paul, MBA, CPA, CIA, AIA. Maybe I'll even pursue a degree in theology to make myself a "Rev. Dr. Atty.?" Wow! What an egghead I am! LOL!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I have a Master's Degree in Education, BA in English.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well, I guess I'm in "transition." Considering I'm 20 and currently enrolled at King's College, I chose "Associate's Degree", since I have nearly 60 credit hours completed at this point, or the equivalency of a two-year degree. I'll be graduating with around 128 credits, thanks to taking some extra 1-credit courses here and there, in 2009 with my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. I then plan to pursue a Master's in Business Administration (MBA) in Accounting from the University of Scranton by 2010, and I hope to possibly even go on to obtain my Ph.D. in Economics from Lehigh University or Cornell University to make myself "stand out" from the rest of my colleagues as I try to "stand out" to prospective employers. I've also long had a passion for urban planning, and I could realistically see myself going back to school for a degree in urban planning, as well as a degree in architecture from Syracuse University. Wow! Looks like I'll be in school until I'm 40! LOL! While I'm at it, the Scranton Area will be getting a new medical school and a new law school by 2009, so perhaps I'll be Dr. Atty. Paul, MBA, CPA, CIA, AIA. Maybe I'll even pursue a degree in theology to make myself a "Rev. Dr. Atty.?" Wow! What an egghead I am! LOL!
Don't go to Cornell. Seriously. I have personally known 3 people (all unrelated, different ages) who graduated from Cornell, and they were phenomenally stupid. I think that is too weird to be a coincidence, so I suspect something is very wrong with that school.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I barely graduated high school. Started working at age 13 and only went half days through HS. Worked a year then 6 years military. I now hold and am paid, a construction engineers position, due to many years of hard work, common sense, and paying attention.
Over the years math has been my biggest hurdle, and struggle with it to this day. I never was any good at it, yet it's one of the most important things a person needs to know for work. I still blame my back country grade school teachers for not properly cramming math into my head.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
I have an associates degree in Medical Assisting though i work at home now transcribing. I've worked every aspect of the medical office from front office to back office, medical records, referrals, lab to billing. The one job i swore i could never do was transcribing but doing it a home now makes all the difference.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

Wow, and then we can all say HEY WE KNOW THAT GUY!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Default Two Cornell grads recently in the news

Ann Coulter and Bill Maher(supposed friends) are both Cornell grads. They did not meet there though.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,418 times
BA in History from UC Irvine, MA in the same major from UCLA, and a drop-out of the PhD program. I studied 19th to early 20th Century German history. I have never used my major for work. I'm a stay and home mom and wouldn't have it any other way. But, I have never regreted going to college. It has helped make me who I am today.

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 03-15-2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education