Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times

Advertisements

there should be a option for "school of hard knocks"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Thumbs up Some schools are harder than others!

Quote:
lionking there should be a option for "school of hard knocks"......
I graduated from that school, too!! It was a lot harder than my formal education!! Learned a lot! I definitely don't "knock" that school!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:11 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
I went to college two years then stopped ( no category for that either). Big mistake, I wish I had a degree now

Old 03-14-2007, 08:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I'm only four units away from my A.A., so that's what I chose. In reality, I don't know if I'll ever go back to college.

I've been working in the financial services industry, and I studied for over a year before I passed a grueling three-hour, 300-question test to get my Series 7 (General Securities) license. I also had to pass the Series 66 test (150 questions). Those tests are difficult; I failed both of them on my first try! Or maybe I'm just challenged! As a result, though, I could be a financial advisor if I wanted to - but I don't. And why did I struggle to do this? Not because I wanted to advance my career in any way, but because I had to make enough money to cover my rising health insurance costs!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm only four units away from my A.A., so that's what I chose. In reality, I don't know if I'll ever go back to college.

I've been working in the financial services industry, and I studied for over a year before I passed a grueling three-hour, 300-question test to get my Series 7 (General Securities) license. I also had to pass the Series 66 test (150 questions). Those tests are difficult; I failed both of them on my first try! Or maybe I'm just challenged! As a result, though, I could be a financial advisor if I wanted to - but I don't. And why did I struggle to do this? Not because I wanted to advance my career in any way, but because I had to make enough money to cover my rising health insurance costs!
You're not "challenged." I believe my father failed his Series 7 test the first time as well. It's also known that only 1/3 of those who take the CPA exam actually pass it. Then again, I'm hoping that I'll be in that lucky 33.33%

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Default Second time around!

Quote:
You're not "challenged." I believe my father failed his Series 7 test the first time as well. It's also known that only 1/3 of those who take the CPA exam actually pass it. Then again, I'm hoping that I'll be in that lucky 33.33%
That's like the Bar Exam -- many lawyers fail that the first time around!!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,395 times
Wisteria, I think you forgot to add the PhD category.

I've got a BA in Art History and an MA in Arts Management and some other post-graduate studies, all pretty useless.

I find this poll to be very interesting, and I'm glad you thought about it. Reading so many posts with misspellings, poor grammar, no structure or paragraphs and so on, my idea of City Data Forum was that most folks here live in rural areas or challenged urban regions and have only the basic school education.

Looking at the poll now and seeing that most participants have a BA makes me think that perhaps I was wrong and college-educated people still write poorly, or those folks with little education and lots of misspellings are not approaching the poll.

I would encourage everyone to enter it, since it is anonymous and helpful (?) for the forum.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
lionking, ya stole my thunder! I got an Associates in Aircraft Maintenance when I was in the USAF and did some other course work towards a Bachelors, but I enjoyed deploying to exotic places so much that I never finished. Wish I had; regret letting my G.I. Bill go away after I retired. I drive a truck now and love it. A 4-year degree wouldn't have really made any difference in my life as I know it. And I sometimes feel I'm better off than friends who have I.T. and other specialized education. (A clean CDL will always guarantee you a job...) Oh, by the way, I'm working on my "Cee Bee Lawyer" degree...

Old 03-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Manhattan-ite. That's a pretty broad generalization based on typos and the occasional bad grammatical structure.
This City-Data does not have "spell-check" or other helpful tools (mine doesn't) and the computer I am using right now will not let me change anything if I am not the IT "administrator".

Some of us just write too fast sometimes and push the post button too fast, because we are eager to contribute, for better or for worse, and are also doing other things. Multi-tasking is not all it's cracked up to be and you have to prioritize when it's really important to be soooo detailed.

I went to school in Manhattan so........

Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
Since today's March 15th, I gotta relate a story; When I was in the Air Force, I had an assignment where our squadron commander was a real "micro-manager". I was fortunate to work for a young Second Lieutenant that had a degree in Ergonomics and actually knew where the the front of the aircraft was. Anyway, he had to do a daily status report for the commander from the input I and the other Master Sergeant that worked for him provided. Since the LT was the only one to see our "rough drafts" I would sometimes have a little fun (within military bounds, of course) with my report. So when March 15th of that year came I titled my report "______ Section, Ides of March Edition". My young LT had NO idea what that referred to... I guess that says a lot about how we could use more cultural literacy in our educational system...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education