Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times

Advertisements

You know what bugs me??? OK I'll tell you. :-)
Just about every single job posting you look at these days "requires" a Bachelor's in whatever dumb field the employer thinks is appropriate for the opening, which when you come down to it, doesn't have anything to do with anything and doesn't mean anything. Some go as far as to want BA, Master preferred AND umpteen years of experience in THAT one little piece of the puzzle.

There are so many people who know so much more just from having done something for years, for having to "work" their way up, but these same people, if you need to look for a new position, or want a change, the door is almost closed in your face because you're automatically dismissed for lacking a degree.

I believe, that unless it is a very "technical" field, such as engineering maybe, the only thing college teaches you is how to do some research, some critical thinking perhaps, how to cram big time, how to have multiple deadlines and pressure.. But what I find is the most important thing, is you get to go outside of your tiny world and get to meet some other, totally different people, with different upbringing, backgrounds, nationalities, cultures, and you get to open your mind and expand your horizons.

OK.. That was my dissertation! LOL.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,404 times
IMO, College is for people who lack creative skills or don't know what they want to do with their life. Just because you spend 4 years on some green acres doesn't make you a genius.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
As to formal education, I'm a high school graduate. Beyond that, I took an eighteen-month writing course, which was really interesting. I read a wide variety of books, not just fiction, but a great deal of non-fiction, especially religion, philosophy, history, natural history, some science, Classics, how-to books, etc. And, of course, let us not forget "Life" education. I suspect that most of us would have scads of initials behind our name, if they gave those out, just for making it through life, as far as we have!

Oh, and VASINGER, although I think your assessment of college may be a bit harsh, I do understand it. I believe that there is too much emphasis on the college education, and not enough on good old fashioned common sense, and hard work. I highly admire and respect those who have continued their formal education, but I would say that there are more ways than one to get an education, other than those ivy halls. I have been reading Louis L'Amour's book, "Education of a Wandering Man", and talk about someone who learned a great deal! The amount of books that man read during his lifetime is astounding. Perhaps, instead of pushing colleges and universities at our kids, we should start by turning off the b**b tube, (not sure if I am allowed to spell that out ), the video games, the i-pods, cell phones, and MySpace, and start putting books back into their hands! But, gosh, what do I know? I am hopelessly antiquated, (at 45, no less)!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,404 times
Yes, I may have said it a bit bluntly, but that's what I meant

Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
I have an Associates Degree in Education, a dual Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood and Elementary Education (graduated Magna *** Laude I am proud to say), and I will be going for my Masters within 2 years

Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 PM

188 posts, read 974,570 times
Unhappy Associates Degree and still in a factory!

I have an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice and wanted to work in Probation or Parole. Sadly, I never went back for my Bachelor's ,so I am stuck in a factory and still paying my student loans off. Had 2 interviews, but was told," Sorry, you have no experience". How can I get experience if no one will hire me? No, I don't want to be a police officer ( bless the people who are) but would love the opportunity to work in a probation office. I have even offered to volunteer so I could get experience, but that didn't happen either. Go back to school? No, probably not. I am not as young as I use to be, and I don't think I could work full time and go to school again. ( Even tho I loved my criminal justice classes...passed them all with flying colors and little study) I don't mention my degree to people I work with, guess I am embarrassed because it didn't pan out. Should have listened to my mom when she told me I was crazy for wasting money!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Default Probation

Quote:
bam531 I have an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice and wanted to work in Probation or Parole. Sadly, I never went back for my Bachelor's ,so I am stuck in a factory and still paying my student loans off. Had 2 interviews, but was told," Sorry, you have no experience". How can I get experience if no one will hire me? No, I don't want to be a police officer ( bless the people who are) but would love the opportunity to work in a probation office. I have even offered to volunteer so I could get experience, but that didn't happen either. Go back to school? No, probably not. I am not as young as I use to be, and I don't think I could work full time and go to school again. ( Even tho I loved my criminal justice classes...passed them all with flying colors and little study) I don't mention my degree to people I work with, guess I am embarrassed because it didn't pan out. Should have listened to my mom when she told me I was crazy for wasting money!
Go to your local Probation Department, especially Juvenile Hall. Find out what jobs they have as Extra Help -- such as Group Supervisor -- that would get you in the door. Also, go to your local County Personnel Office and take the DPO (Deputy Probation Officer) test, and/or the Probation Aide test. That would get you on a list to be called in for more interviews.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong area of the country because I know that Probation Departments (especially, over Parole) are hiring on a consistent basis. However, because of extensive background checks, it takes a long time to actually get the job. I understand that San Bernadino County in California actually has billboards looking for people to work for Probation. You need to contact the local Probation Department, and see about Extra Help and On-call - that's how a lot of people get in at first.

You may also want to volunteer at a Community-based Organization (also called CBOs), such as a center that works with at-risk youth -- they generally have ties with Probation. Do NOT give up -- if this is seriously the field you want to be in. Believe me, there are plenty of Probation Departments looking for people. Yes, they are selective and there are intense psychological and background checks, but once you've cleared those hurdles, you're on your way.

Most Juvenile Halls will not take a volunteer -- they either want an intern or an Extra-Help/On-call person. I think the best bet is the juvenile division, not adult. Most people get in through Juvenile Hall. You must have some other background besides school work that can help you. Make an appointment with a Division Director at your local Probation Department and talk to him/her about what advice they would give on how to get your foot in the door.

And don't forget to keep looking for recruitment information at the Personnel Office, and sign up for Extra-Help. And look in other counties. If you really want a job in Probation, with a little more effort in gaining some experience in other ways (volunteering with organizations that work in alliance with Probation) you will start meeting people -- that is a good way for them to get to know you, what your abilities are, and to show them how hard you will work for them. Obviously, I know something about Probation Departments, so don't give up!!

Good luck to you!!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
vpcats,

You've hit upon one of my pet peeves. There are so many college grads in my locale that they go right past asking for a BA and want an MA, plus 5 yrs experience in precisely the same job (or better). HR has become a gatekeeper.

I was once interviewed for a job advising teens by three girls half my age. Now keep in mind that I've raised two Phi Beta Kappas, was CEO of a business for 15 yrs, taught medical students, have a dean's list double major BA, done consulting work, had more life experience than the three of them put together could ever hope for, and have traveled extensively. When they presented me with a tough interview question my response was that I would have to know the specifics of the problem and that "I would think, and then decide how to handle it". Well, they almost fell off their chairs that I didn't provide a pat answer. How dare I mention that I think? I decided that I wouldn't want to work with them.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 03-16-2007 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
All Right! There are now two people on the poll with PhD's. Sorry guys, but I think it's cool.

Just counted. There are as many people with bachelor's degrees as there are people with more.

BTW, my brother makes much, much more money than I do and he never finished college. Makes no difference.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Looking at the poll now and seeing that most participants have a BA makes me think that perhaps I was wrong and college-educated people still write poorly, or those folks with little education and lots of misspellings are not approaching the poll.
I technically only have a high school education and probably have a better command of the English language than most on this forum who possess Master's Degrees. I don't find any correlation between one's educational attainment and resulting intelligence. My sister, for example, is an ENGLISH TEACHER who nearly has her Master's Degree, and I often find myself correcting her grammar. My former guidance counselor in high school had a Ph.D., but she was more inept than her own high school graduate secretary! There's also a brilliant guy who comes to our Lowe's store often to talk about genetics, and, by the looks of his tattered clothing and beat-up Geo Tracker, one would easily assume he has no sort of advanced education. Nevertheless, I feel "enlightened" every time I speak with him (he could be one of those highly-intelligent, well-educated people who just dress so poorly because they are "eccentric" though; we have a lot of those types here in the Scranton area, which was just called a "hip" city by Philadelphia Magazine).

Essentially, you can't just assume that "more education=smarter." As we see on this forum, the majority of members possess college degrees, yet many still don't know the difference between "to", "too", and "two" or "you're" and "your", among other flagrant pet peeves of mine. I find it hilarious to see so many on here with an "anti-immigrant" and "learn English" mindset when they don't even know proper English themselves. It just seems a little hypocritical to me for people who are ignorant of the language themselves to be demanding that others learn it as well!

We all make mistakes though. Check out my previous posting history, and you'll see "Reason for Editing: TYPO" under roughly half of all of my submissions! I'm sure even Steven Hawking makes occasional glitches.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-16-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Typo: "Hilarious" was Spelled Improperly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education