Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I find it hillarious to see ...

We all make mistakes. TYPO"
Uh, the writer in me has to point out your typo. One " l " in hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
OK statistically speaking... SWB IS pretty good. That whole post had only that ONE little typo, which maybe if you were scratching one eye at the time, could have overlooked it.

I haven't been keeping tabs on the poster who brought up the spelling and grammar issues but it SEEMS to me that he can be credited with some rather unusual use of grammar and spelling himself on some other posts.

It's like that saying about throwing stones (or rocks) or something like that - what's the rest of it???

Old 03-16-2007, 12:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Uh, the writer in me has to point out your typo. One " l " in hilarious.
Fixed. Thanks for noticing it. Everyone makes mistakes.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Default Degree vs. No Degree

Quote:
Essentially, you can't just assume that "more education=smarter." As we see on this forum, the majority of members possess college degrees, yet many still don't know the difference between "to", "too", and "two" or "you're" and "your", among other flagrant pet peeves of mine.
I agree, there are many very intelligent people out there without degrees (but there are also a lot of dummies without them, too.....). The snafu is that one often can't (as has been noted before) even get in the door for interviews without a degree. I hedged and hawed before I finished all my higher education -- and I was very frustrated because I knew that IQ-wise I was smarter than many people I worked for, but I also did NOT have the degree. My ex was a certified "genius," but didn't finish his degree, and is still working construction.

I learned a hard lesson -- employers, in particular, relish that degree. Even if you are a "C" graduate (hmmmmm, let's see, someone named G.W. Bush comes to mind...... ), that person will generally have first dibs on a job over a non-graduate.

Unless you fall into a field in which you don't need the degree, or have started your own business, in the regular employment world, education IS a benefit.

And you're correct about the incorrect use of grammar here -- it's one of my pet peeves, also!!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OK statistically speaking... SWB IS pretty good. That whole post had only that ONE little typo, which maybe if you were scratching one eye at the time, could have overlooked it.

I haven't been keeping tabs on the poster who brought up the spelling and grammar issues but it SEEMS to me that he can be credited with some rather unusual use of grammar and spelling himself on some other posts.

It's like that saying about throwing stones (or rocks) or something like that - what's the rest of it???
VP, if you're talking about who I think your talkin about (correct me if I'm wrong) the OP is from Spain and has lived in the US for a little while. I pointed out SWB's typo just cause he was on his soapbox and I thought it was really funny that he accidentally misspelled a word.

I am in complete agreement on the spelling issues seen here on CD. There are times I wish I could take my red editing pen and mark them up!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
I think I speak very well, and have been told by many people that I write very well....but writing very well might not extend into here! In here, I am on my lazy mode, for want of a better word. Sometimes I might be typing in a hurry and not concentrating on the correct word and might use an incorrect word, or not take the type to spell it correctly...or maybe it wsan't a matter of me not spelling it correctly but it was just a simple typo where my finger made a mistake. Sorry, this is not a term paper, this is not a resume, this is not a letter that I will be sending to the parents of my students. I see no need to slow down, reread it back over, check a dictionary...anyone reading this will know what I meant to write and will be able to understand my post. And if they want to think that I make the same mistakes in life, and this must REALLY be how I write...so be it. No offense, none of you are in my life and will be doing anything that will matter or change my life based on spelling and grammar.

Yes, I have met people on here who write God awful...both for spelling and grammar. I don't judge them. I have never commented on that. Either they are like me and just don't care because we don't care about being judged by complete strangers....or perhaps that is really how they are, and who am I to judge them...maybe they shine at something better than I do, maybe they are a nicer person than I am....

I wasn't bragging my college education, because I know that somtimes it doesn't mean a thing. I have met people, even in my profession, that I wonder about...and I have met people without a college degree-my father who got a 1500 on his SATs and my husband who is so smart...that I pale in comparision. But to have the job I do, I have to go through training. Doesn't make us smarter...it just makes up a little more trained in the field we are in.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Unless you fall into a field in which you don't need the degree, or have started your own business, in the regular employment world, education IS a benefit.
Definitely so.
I think a bachelor's is now the new high school diploma.
Our older son, after college graduation, decided fairly soon that he was going to have to get his master's.
For myself, I just have an associate's. I was one of those people who backpacked around doing a wide variety of stuff in the School of Hard Knocks. No regrets. I learned a lot.
In early childhood education, an advanced degree will not earn you vast wealth, but it's better than nothing. The biggest reward I've had, corny as it sounds, is from making a difference in the lives of children and their parents.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Yes, too harsh! While education doesn't make for creative skills, it sure can help with critical thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
IMO, College is for people who lack creative skills or don't know what they want to do with their life. Just because you spend 4 years on some green acres doesn't make you a genius.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
Personally, as a product of the Catholic educational system, I found that critical thinking was drummed into us from day 1.

I must say, that with all the people coming forward with the information that they had been molested by the catholic clerics, I'm feeling just a little left out and hurt. The priests and brothers I had teaching me in high school only whacked us up the back of the head when we misbehaved, and not one nun, priest or brother ever offered to molest me. Maybe I'm just the original ugly duckling. Sighhhh. Now I'll never get to sue big money.... there goes MY retirement.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:11 PM

79 posts, read 333,662 times
ok, my BA is in art education from Kent State Main...

Love my field, have yet to crack into a school system for a job... after subbing for 2 years, I chose to leave my field and went to work as a manager at the bank. I have my securities license and also took a couple of business classes back at KSU- not for me.

If I do end up going back to school, I'm going to go into School Counseling. But I'd have to move back home and go to YSU if I make that decision in the next couple of years. Maybe though, not sure if that will ever happen...

It's a bummer to not be doing what you've always wanted to do but I'm fortunate to work with a great group of people at the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education