Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
VP, if you're talking about who I think your talkin about (correct me if I'm wrong) the OP is from Spain and has lived in the US for a little while. I pointed out SWB's typo just cause he was on his soapbox and I thought it was really funny that he accidentally misspelled a word.

I am in complete agreement on the spelling issues seen here on CD. There are times I wish I could take my red editing pen and mark them up!
No, I know you were just picking on SWB. But he really is pretty good and writes well, at least it keeps me reading (I just saw another of his posts today BTW and he's got ANOTHER typo!!!)

Yes, that's the other problem. If the poster is originally from Spain and has only been here a short time, I think his command of the English language is quite good. Who knows when, where and how he really learned it. However, my point was the commentary about how because of how we misspell and use every day, run of the mill faulty grammar, we're basically not very bright.

Who died and made him king????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 03:11 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times
B.A. in Communications and Marketing.

I want to go for a Master's some day maybe in P.R. or Creative Writing, but right now I am just working a pretty good job and paying back my student loans. I just turned 23, I still have to to decide.

As for the "bad writers" on the board, some people may be uneducated, but I think a majority just type too fast and don't double check. I write professionally as a big part of my job, but on these types of boards in my down time, I just type really fast and use a lot of slang. It's my chill time, so I feel like it's not the end of the world to make a few little mistakes.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
I think the closer you are to high school the better your grammar is. As we get older we tend to forget the basic rules, provided we learned them in the first place.

But there are some people (no one who has posted on this thread) whose posts blow me away. We've all seen them. There is no telling, just no telling...

Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

But there are some people (no one who has posted on this thread)

Wowowowowow. That means I'm safe???
(never mind the part about how long it's been since HS)

Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,395 times
Default spelling and misspelling- no excuses

vpcats,

I'm that American guy born in Spain who said people in City Data write poorly. I stand by my criticism and challenge you to find a single misspelling in any of my 285 posts. You will not. Guaranteed!

I don't think there's ever an excuse for inadequate spelling and grammar. "I'm too busy", "I didn't check". Bull****. We all should take as much pride in our writing as we do in other fields of life.

Or do we say "I didn't feed my pet or my child because I was too busy", "I forgot to put on pants before heading out to work because I didn't check"?

Unfortunately, in America and elsewhere, the Internet is a cesspool of awful spelling and bad writing.

Last edited by Manhattan-ite; 03-18-2007 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: This forum is called "City Data", not "City Day".

Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,129 times
Bachelors in Journalism and one in Communications

Got a fantastic high paying job with tons and tons of stress....officer/executive of a company.....travelled 85% of the time .... ended up with a massive heart attack and 6 bypasses.......Money and finer things in life are not worth poor health. Believe me I know! Can't work now.

In my next life I am gonna be a Walmart Greeter. And in cyberspace I tend to use slang......I choose to do it .... English was my minor! So what if people want to use slang.....life is too short....I am a fun loving person....using slang and abbreviated words is a fun thing to do .... and I plan on doin' it the rest of my life.....because it is less stressful. YAY But I ain't no dumby!

Now I fix and repair and collect dolls.....I talk and write dollonese.....it's much easier than the English language. And dolls don't talk back and they don't insult other people when they write and talk the way they want.

Last edited by doll lady; 03-18-2007 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 11:48 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
B.A. in Communications and Marketing.

I want to go for a Master's some day maybe in P.R. or Creative Writing, but right now I am just working a pretty good job and paying back my student loans. I just turned 23, I still have to to decide.

As for the "bad writers" on the board, some people may be uneducated, but I think a majority just type too fast and don't double check. I write professionally as a big part of my job, but on these types of boards in my down time, I just type really fast and use a lot of slang. It's my chill time, so I feel like it's not the end of the world to make a few little mistakes.
Two things: I have a Master's in Communication & PR, and I'd advise you to do an internship while in grad school. It's hard to get work right out of the gate without extensive experience.

The other thing is that I completely agree about the typing issue. I write for a living and am a part-time college instructor who marks up all those papers with red pens. However, on this forum, I make errors all the time because I'm typing too quickly.

Good luck in your PR studies (if you decide to go that way).

Old 03-18-2007, 11:49 AM

I'd encourage anyone to just keep on learning, even if it's not for an additional degree. It keeps your mind sharp and your perspective open.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
vpcats,

I'm that American guy born in Spain who said people in City Day write poorly. I stand by my criticism and challenge you to find a single misspelling in any of my 285 posts. You will not. Guaranteed!

I don't think there's ever an excuse for inadequate spelling and grammar. "I'm too busy", "I didn't check". Bull****. We all should take as much pride in our writing as we do in other fields of life.

Or do we say "I didn't feed my pet or my child because I was too busy", "I forgot to put on pants before heading out to work because I didn't check"?

Unfortunately, in America and elsewhere, the Internet is a cesspool of awful spelling and bad writing.
You do take a lot of liberties with your choice of punctuation and where you place that punctuation.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
vpcats,

I'm that American guy born in Spain who said people in City Day write poorly. I stand by my criticism and challenge you to find a single misspelling in any of my 285 posts. You will not. Guaranteed!

I'm up for the challenge!...hmm, City Day ^^^ is not City Data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education