Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM
 
500 posts, read 2,859,395 times
Reputation: 331

Advertisements

Lorelei,

Regarding this:

"I write for a living and am a part-time college instructor who marks up all those papers with red pens. However, on this forum, I make errors all the time because I'm typing too quickly"

I couldn't disagree more. As I said, I believe there's never an excuse for misspellings and bad writing. But when it comes to college instructors like you or would-be professional writers like LittleMissSunshine, sloppy spelling just because "it's a forum and I type fast" is just wrong.

We ought to give a good example! To students, to writers-to-be, to people in general. Or soon it all will be "2 u I wrt coz".

To me, quoting LittleMiss, there is no "chill time" when putting words together. I treat them nice, always.

Let's preserve the beauty of our language in any and all occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Where the real happy cows reside!
4,279 posts, read 10,360,863 times
Reputation: 10472
When I've got my laptop balanced on my knees and my feet up on the coffee table I get the fat finger syndrome on the keyboard. As long as you know what I'm on about a few oops with the letters and their correct order is ok with me. Thankfully I do my work at a table on a regular computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
 
500 posts, read 2,859,395 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm up for the challenge!...hmm, City Day ^^^ is not City Data?
Oh, my! I'm dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Camano Island, WA
1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Oh, my! I'm dead.


Manhattan-ite, you better run and hide! ...kidding...maybe...lol

I like the edit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Reputation: 7018
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'm up for the challenge!...hmm, City Day ^^^ is not City Data?

Oh ok let's c if I can find all those typos and misspellings u think u don't have. Give me some time cuz altho I type fast, I read slowly.

Whaz up dude???? hahahahaha.

Hoosier guy -- NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!!!!!!!!! you take half and I take half.

Hey Manhattan-ite I won't pick on you too much. After all you were born in my motherland! (half of me anyway).



Darn so sorry Citybythebay.. This was meant to go on Manhattan-ite's post... One of his 285!!! I wonder if somebody can move this whole thing and plop it in the correct box.

Last edited by vpcats; 03-18-2007 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: apology to Citybythebay for misquoting in my response. OK???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,157,144 times
Reputation: 7018
Who are the two attorneys and the 1 doc who answered this poll??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Camano Island, WA
1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Darn so sorry Citybythebay.. This was meant to go on Manhattan-ite's post... One of his 285!!! I wonder if somebody can move this whole thing and plop it in the correct box.

LOL....not a problem....trust me, I'm not anywhere near perfect with spelling...I get an A for effort though...


Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Who are the two attorneys and the 1 doc who answered this poll??
LOL...don't worry, I won't sue you for defamation of character... ...all in good fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Reputation: 6042
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh ok let's c if I can find all those typos and misspellings u think u don't have. Give me some time cuz altho I type fast, I read slowly.

Hoosier guy -- NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!!!!!!!!! you take half and I take half.

Shore thang miz VP. U take the first half and I'll take the secund haf. Is there gonna be a lynchin' if we find any? We'll have to start a new thread just to show off the misspellings, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 5,394,239 times
Reputation: 1765
My teachers learned me real good....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Reputation: 6042
Well I didn't find typos in this post, however I did find something much worse. Read my comments below. BTW, I was an assistant editor for a women's business magazine...so Manhattan-ite, I kinda know what I'm writing below. Spelling is quite important, I agree. However sentence structure is just as important. Read below.

POSTED BY MANHATTAN-ITE IN ANOTHER THREAD
I think there's too much obsession with buying in America, while renting gets a bad rap (usage of slang here). But of course, owning something is part of the American dream!

There are people who say "you rent and you have nothing, you're throwing money out the window". Well, no- I'm paying for a service, and a great one. If paying for meals in a restaurant, gas for the car, groceries in the supermarket and so on is perfectly fine, why renting is (word misplacement. "is" should go before renting) for many of you (unnecessary clause) "a waste of money"? I pay a very reasonable amount of money and get a great apartment in Midtown Manhattan (lowercase midtown) in return. I couldn't be happier with the transaction.

Then there's the sad issue of people moving far far (unnecessary repetition) away to be able (remove "to be able to" clutters the sentence and makes it difficult for the reader to understand the writer's intention) to buy a house. So very sad! They could rent in, say, Boston or New York, but they move down to Georgia or South Carolina to buy. Rootless, displaced and unhappy, but they (who is they referring to? You've used they 3 times since writing "people") own a thing! Geez.

People who buy a home and pay a mortgage think they made it. "I own a house!". But they don't (fragmented sentence) . They're paying for it. 30 years (when starting a sentence with a number it must be written out "thirty") from now, it'll be theirs- after many monthly payments (equivalent to rent), interest, monthly maintenance fees and other financial risks.

If I had cash, I would buy a place in Manhattan in an instant. But a mortgage? No way.

Owning is not such a dream when America is having a record number of foreclosures and unpaid mortgages. There's something wrong here. (last sentence weakens the argument. Delete and you've strengthened your argument)

Now on another note I will respond to this post and simply say that this arrogance you have about America...why do you live here? You come across as if you are better than the rest of us because you're not an American. I know that people pay cash for houses and apartments in Europe and other places in the world. However here in our country, mortgages are the way we buy our homes. Don't look down your nose at Americans because we are not living up to your personal standards.

And yes you may find misspellings and bad sentence structure in my posts. However I'm not the one saying I'm so perfect and don't make any mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top