Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your level of education?
High School 12 14.12%
Associate's Degree 14 16.47%
Bachelor's Degree 28 32.94%
Master's Degree 15 17.65%
M.D. 1 1.18%
Law 2 2.35%
Other post graduate education 8 9.41%
Ph.D. 4 4.71%
Special Certifications 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,789,405 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, how many people on the board are college-educated? Who has an Associate's Degree, Bachelor's Degree, a Master's, a Ph.D., or other degree above a Master's Degree? What is your education?

Feel free to add where you went to school, your major, if you enjoyed school, if you found it worthwhile, if you are now working in your field, and other information you want to provide.

It's interesting to read all the posts, and sometimes it's evident that many people are educated and knowledgeable about particular fields.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Wisteria; 03-14-2007 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
I have a Master's degree in counseling. I also did one year of my doctorate, but decided to work more on experience than education. I really started to enjoy school when I was in my grad program.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,256,660 times
You left out the choice for those of us who dropped out. I finished the 10th grade, and 1/2 of 11th. I got the 3rd highest score in the state (up until that date) on my G.E.D.

I am a certified animal sports massage therapist, and I am happily working in my chosen field.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
You left out the choice for those of us who dropped out. I finished the 10th grade, and 1/2 of 11th. I got the 3rd highest score in the state (up until that date) on my G.E.D.

I am a certified animal sports massage therapist, and I am happily working in my chosen field.
I felt that high school covered even those who dropped out -- because then people often do get a GED, which is considered, basically, a high school diploma.

And....I couldn't get back in to change fields, either (help moderators??). So, I left it as is -- because, as you said, you have a certification in a field, and I would like to have put a particular certification on the list, too.

Good for you -- working in your field and happy!!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,110,582 times
I have a B.A. in psychology, which in New Jersey is not much different than a high school diploma. They're a dime a dozen. lol I went to community college for the first 2 years, which was great, and then transferred to a private university for the last 2 years, which was way overpriced. I completely regret not going to Rutgers (state university - much cheaper) but I was young, not well traveled, and fearful to go to a completely new place alone, in a town far larger than what I was used to. Now I do social work, which I love. I didn't know I loved it until my last semester in school. If I could do it over again, I would get my masters in social work. I could go back now but I love working; sitting in a classroom is tedious to me and IMO I am good at my job due to experience and mentoring from other professionals, not from school. But school was worthwhile, I did learn good problem solving skills, how to write well, how to work in groups, that sort of thing.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Default M. S. W.

Quote:
Christina0001 If I could do it over again, I would get my masters in social work. I could go back now but I love working; sitting in a classroom is tedious to me and IMO I am good at my job due to experience and mentoring from other professionals, not from school.
I, actually, DO have a Master's of Social Work, however, I was very frustrated in obtaining it because the university I went to would not allow us to work at the same time as we obtained our Master's. (I received mine from the State University of New York at Buffalo.) And...it is a TWO-year Master's Degree and very intense. We actually had a dual-degree program with the Social Work and the Law School, and most of the people who were in both, actually ended up dropping the Social Work because they felt that law school was easier!

I did end up being a Clinical Therapist, however, the pay was very low -- unless I did a private practice, which at the time I decided not to go for. However, as you did, getting the Psychology B.A. was useful for you, and you can work your way up, especially in government jobs. For those looking for Social Work, and also interested in Psychology, I'd highly recommend a double-major (Psych and SW), because employers in the social services are more likely to look at the social work degree first.

I felt that for the salaries that social workers receive, that an M.S.W. should not be two years of expense and time, but one year, instead. Just my opinion.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,368,481 times
I have a B.A. (hons) in Design from a British Uni. I'm a graphic designer now designing anything and everything!
I believe education is important, but wish some intellects I have met had more commonsense.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
OMG, with all of you in psych and counseling, I am petrified now.
Are we all nuts here?? Most of the time eh? :-))
Well, I have my bachelor's from NYU from many, many moons ago. I did Spanish Literature because I thought it would be easy grades for me and I was much more interested in other things besides school. I was a little shall we say, "not yet mature". I don't remember anything about it now and have never used that background for anything. I like business a lot better and have been in healthcare for ever.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

536 posts, read 1,194,342 times
i have a high school diploma thats it, i should have went to college so i wouldnt be banging nails for the rest of my life

Old 03-14-2007, 02:37 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,714,403 times
I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management and Aeronautical Engineering from Arizona State.

Seems like the majority of us have a Bachelors or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education