Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:21 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
If you cut teachers and close schools then where will all the kids go? Parents will have to quit jobs and stay home with them.

Well, okay, let's only close high schools and middle schools. Those kids don't need babysitters.
Seriously, I hope school has more value than just this. I'm not optimistic that it does, at least in my area-- which is why we homeschool. But one can hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Well, okay, let's only close high schools and middle schools. Those kids don't need babysitters.
Seriously, I hope school has more value than just this. I'm not optimistic that it does, at least in my area-- which is why we homeschool. But one can hope.
Many parents only see school as a babysitting service. I've heard it from their mouths.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Make that two for less teachers.
Make that three..I'm tired of the high school taxes. The school districts need to learn to budget.. And I'll add so does the city...

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
On the other hand, taking even more money away from a failing system is bound to create a superior system that needs no funds at all. Guaranteed.

Yeah, the system has failed a lot of people, but it hasn't failed everyone. So, I'm not so sure it's time to throw it out entirely when we don't even have a replacement.
If the school system was a "private business" they would have been out of business long ago!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Hmmmm....fewer teachers will result in even more over-crowded classes....exactly how many students can we stuff in a classroom anyway? Fewer students will also mean fewer subjects taught....but really, don't kids ONLY need to know how to read, write, and do math? Who needs to learn foreign languages? Or business classes? Why not cut out all sports and P.E.? After all, Americans are SO~ health conscious and physically fit....the kids really don't need such classes. Computer classes are completely unneccessary as kids are BORN with the ability to properly use a computer and if you do away with computer classes, then voila~! You no longer need computers or tech people or computer teachers. Why not just cut public school altogether and let everyone homeschool their kids? What else are the people who have been laid off going to do anyway? Right? And EVERYONE can teach the basics...that reading, writing, and arithmetic because seriously how hard is it to teach anyway? Not to mention that the average America's reading skills are above par, their writing skills rival that of every other nation on this planet and let's not even get started on how brilliant the average person is with mathematics. What do we need teachers or schools for anyway? Parents can do it all for themselves. That'll save every state a LOT of money and money is what it's all about anyway.

(in case you couldn't taste it, that was sarcasm)
The advancement in class size reduction was funded by the real estate boom and increased tax revenues. Oh well what the boom gave the boom taketh. It could not be sustained and should have (in many cases was) realized that it could not go on forever.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
For most state governments their largest expense is the education sector. If you want to cut the budget best place to do it is in the education section.

Higher taxes or less teacher jobs. Take your pick.

I am going for less teacher jobs personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Make that two for less teachers.
Given the above two quotes, perhaps good education is undervalued. The word you two were looking for in that context is fewer, not less.

Fewer teachers means larger classrooms. Larger classrooms means less individual help and, ultimately, worse instruction. Also, the stress will build up in teachers, because they will be viewed under a microscope for production. Not to mention that they have an increased responsibility in grading and the students themselves. As a result, the turnover rate will become even greater, damaging the education system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Many parents only see school as a babysitting service. I've heard it from their mouths.
Your parents aren't original thinkers. The thought is common even in the education system. Some teachers consider themselves babysitters, because the parents think of school as a daycare. When the parents have the mindset that education isn't the first priority of going to school, guess what their kid's mindset is?

My professor joked that babysitters get paid, what, 10 dollars an hour? Imagine 10 dollars per kid for 6 hours a day. In the school I intern at, the average classroom is 24 kids. $1440 a day. If we're being treated and thought of as babysitters, please pay as accordingly.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Those who have posted in this thread with the notion that teachers don't deserve their pay, should do something about it.

Become a teacher!

Then you'll enjoy the easy life and excess pay/benefits that teachers get for "babysitting."

My guess is that the posters making those comments haven't been in a school since they graduated - or dropped out.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
eliminate tenure and fire worthless educators.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Given the above two quotes, perhaps good education is undervalued. The word you two were looking for in that context is fewer, not less.
Excellent point.

It's always nice when those decrying education are the ones who seem to exhibit the least amount of formal learning.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Those who have posted in this thread with the notion that teachers don't deserve their pay, should do something about it.

Become a teacher!

Then you'll enjoy the easy life and excess pay/benefits that teachers get for "babysitting."

My guess is that the posters making those comments haven't been in a school since they graduated - or dropped out.
I would happily invite anyone into my classroom for a day who does not think that teachers deserve their pay. I will sit and take notes while you do my job. I bet that by the end of the day, you will certainly be saying that teachers don't get paid near enough. I honestly wonder if those who think teachers don't deserve their pay could actually handle a child with severe behavior problems, being hit by a student, parents who don't give a #$@^, inadequate administrators, or even worse being beat up by a group of students. I know many teachers who face things like this on a daily basis.
Oh, and I don't think I mentioned that my district as an alternative program for elementary students who have such severe behavior problems that they are like wild animals. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education