Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,677,342 times

Advertisements

Good AP classes aren't just about memorizing material.

That said, I took both AP and IB classes, and I generally preferred the IB classes. There was less emphasis on the test, more on the process, and you usually had to also write a paper or design a project. IB History of the Americas (or whatever it was officially called) was nice in that it also covered Canada and Mexico. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the AP American history class (at our school you took the AP American history in 10th grade, then IB History of the Americas in 12th grade) only covered the areas currently in the United States. It provided a better context for US history (plus was worthy in its own right) to study the continent as a whole.

I agree with an earlier poster who said that one benefit of the AP classes is that because they are (usually) optional you get a self-selected group of kids who are more actively engaged in school. I don't necessarily think that either AP or IB is a great option (better to have a guarantee of challenging classes without constraints of a specific test) but overall I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I didn't actually use any of my AP or IB courses to cut out time from college, but I did use them to skip certain requirements (so instead of taking an intro level of something I just skipped straight on to the higher level). That was a nice perk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 AM

305 posts, read 538,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asielen View Post
AP classes are a waste of time and have no value to them other than perhaps saving money on college classes. I never learned anything in the AP classes I took. Sure I learned a lot of facts but nothing useful. They claim to be preparation for college classes however they are nothing like college classes.

People in this forum are claiming that memorizing facts works for the rest of the world, however one thing that American education used to pride itself in was the creativity that our citizens had. We used to have the most innovative thinkers in the world. You don't learn problem solving and innovation from memorizing facts in an AP class.

In my opinion, if you want to save money on college and take some challenging classes I recommend that instead of take AP classes you should take some classes at a local community college or other university with open enrollment that allow high school students to take classes. (e.g. the CSU's in California)

There is also the issue of what you want out of your education. If you are like me and love to learn and explore new subjects then you probably don't like the restricting curriculum of AP courses. However, if you prefer to get through school and just memorize things then APs are better for you.

If your AP class was just "memorizing facts", it wasn't taught properly.

I've taught AP Statistics for 10 years and every year, former students tell me that their AP classes helped them for college more than anything else they did in high school. Even the students who didn't take the test (the AP test is optional at our school) say they were better prepared for college level work as a result of being in the class.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,374,489 times
In my state (Florida) funding to the school districts is now tied to numbers of kids taking AP courses. That is the reason for the big push to get all sorts of students to take them.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,855,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
In my state (Florida) funding to the school districts is now tied to numbers of kids taking AP courses. That is the reason for the big push to get all sorts of students to take them.
Plus-it gets them on Newsweek's stupid list.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM

45,110 posts, read 60,202,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Plus-it gets them on Newsweek's stupid list.

In this area it's Jay Matthews Challenge Index in the Washington Post (a Newsweek company). What he does is divide the number of AP tests given at a school by the number of Seniors to get a result and then claims that number is an indicator of the school's overall educational program. He then claims that it is a statistically valid answer.

The College Board is also pushing the AP program. Always remember the CB is a business and more test takers mean more money at $75 a pop.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM

305 posts, read 538,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In this area it's Jay Matthews Challenge Index in the Washington Post (a Newsweek company). What he does is divide the number of AP tests given at a school by the number of Seniors to get a result and then claims that number is an indicator of the school's overall educational program. He then claims that it is a statistically valid answer.

The College Board is also pushing the AP program. Always remember the CB is a business and more test takers mean more money at $75 a pop.

I believe last year it was $86 a pop. And sadly, I've watched the CB become less academically focused and more corporate in the ten years I've taught AP.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM

45,110 posts, read 60,202,185 times
The test costs the student $86, unless there are various FARM waivers. The $75 comes from the school getting an $8 or $9 dollar per test rebate from CB. In addition the individual school also gets a check from CB in September ranging from $250-$750 to help defray test expenses. That just started last year.
Just looked at my numbers, as you can tell I don't teach Math.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
High School AP classes represent what that class in college would be like.
So there's 1000 people in a lecture hall while the teacher does research and an assistant teaches the class?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,367,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So there's 1000 people in a lecture hall while the teacher does research and an assistant teaches the class?
There were more kids in my high school AP courses than all but a handful of my college classes! 1000 people? Geeze... the huge classes at my school are 100 people!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,565 times
For me, the AP classes in HS really helped. They made my first year of college easier. I took:
AP English Composition
AP Calculus AB
AP Spanish 5
AP Biology
AP Psychology
Basically, they prepared me for my courses in college. I am taking mainly pre-med courses in biology and chemistry and the foundation of those courses was built by the rigor of the AP exams. They seemed to require a unique way of thinking and studying. One that is emphasized greatly in college. I strongly recommend taking AP exams at least in areas of interest in college. However, diversity is a plus.
--B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education