U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the rapidly increasing drop out rate a result of tougher standards for High School?
Yes, they have made it so only academics survive 3 17.65%
no, there is no link between tougher standards and high school dropout rates 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM

40 posts, read 110,749 times

Advertisements

It seems like High School is alot harder now days than when I was there 20 years ago. Back then you could be academically lazy but still make it through with C's and D's and still graduate. Those students usually went to work at a low skilled job and survived.

Now days there is so much pressure to pass tests, do tons of homework and take all kind of hard math, science and foreign language classes. Those students who are not interested in learning usually just reject it and drop out. I see a link between impossible standards and drop outs.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM

25,163 posts, read 49,623,763 times
It is also probably horrible class environments.

When I was in high school the kids and teachers were often obnoxious and flippant. It was like a disease.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM

20,546 posts, read 27,270,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is also probably horrible class environments.

When I was in high school the kids and teachers were often obnoxious and flippant. It was like a disease.
I had a couple of horrendous teachers. A few were drunks and showed up to class that way and some were just too old and oblivious to the students. I did have some good teachers also.

As far as drop out rates I think a lot has to do with it.

Boredom for students because the subjects we have been teaching forever are useless for many.(not all)
Laziness.
No respect for teachers.
The "me me" syndrome and our spoiled society.
Parents who don't help in the parenting department.
No more discipline for our children.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,867,993 times
While I agree academic standards are tougher now than say 10-20 years ago, I do not think they're tougher than they were about 30-50 years ago. How is being literate in order to graduate a tougher standard? In fact, the dropout rate is slightly better now than it was 20 years ago:

Fast Facts

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM

8,237 posts, read 22,971,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
Now days there is so much pressure to pass tests, do tons of homework and take all kind of hard math, science and foreign language classes. Those students who are not interested in learning usually just reject it and drop out. I see a link between impossible standards and drop outs.

What do you think?
Of course there will always be students who drop out because they can't take it anymore, but realistically the kids who are going to drop out are going to drop out regardless of whether they are attending the hardest high school or the easiest.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM

272 posts, read 670,669 times
I was in high school 40 years ago, and I can tell you that the standards for success are MUCH lower now than they were then. Across the board, every subject.

A student today with all minimal A's would not have finished anywhere close to the top of the class, not unless they were willing to do the extra work to get really good, above and beyond A's.

And look on this board. A lot of the posts are about "Where can I get a degree without working for it?" or the like.

I must add that even now there are excellent students, who will do very well no matter what the school is like. But you'd have to look beyond their grades to identify them.

There's no comparison.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,385,322 times
I voted yes because the schools treat all students as if they are college bound when many are not cut out for college.

There are more high school requirements now - Physics, Chemistry, Algebra II, Calculus - none were required for me in the 1980s and now they are required classes. These subjects are covered on the exit exam. We did not have a high stakes exit exam like that.

I have a college degree and even in college never took those classes.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,916,586 times
The standards are getting higher? Really? Have you even looked at the no child left behind bill?

If our standards are getting higher than why are our kids still some of the dumbest when compared to other industrialized nations?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Believe me I had to go through all of that and it was a major pain.

High school was not fun at all. I'm half way done with my master's degree, so that shows you I'm no drop out either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I voted yes because the schools treat all students as if they are college bound when many are not cut out for college.

There are more high school requirements now - Physics, Chemistry, Algebra II, Calculus - none were required for me in the 1980s and now they are required classes. These subjects are covered on the exit exam. We did not have a high stakes exit exam like that.

I have a college degree and even in college never took those classes.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-25-2009 at 11:41 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Teachers are terrible. There is your answer. Some school systems over focus on sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
The standards are getting higher? Really? Have you even looked at the no child left behind bill?

If our standards are getting higher than why are our kids still some of the dumbest when compared to other industrialized nations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or