Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times

Advertisements

who are freakishly smart but socially, politically and culturally passive or even awkward....newly arrived Asian immigrants will keep the culture of great emphasis on academic success and the image of Asians being smart but geeky alive

>> Please. Asians are not so uni-dimensional. Nor are their gifts or lack thereof, predictable once we throw in other control variables.

Enough with the idiocy of sterotypes...

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
who are freakishly smart but socially, politically and culturally passive or even awkward....newly arrived Asian immigrants will keep the culture of great emphasis on academic success and the image of Asians being smart but geeky alive

>> Please. Asians are not so uni-dimensional. Nor are their gifts or lack thereof, predictable once we throw in other control variables.

Enough with the idiocy of sterotypes...
Thank you! This thread is terrifying in its ignorance. You all realize that Asian is a term to signify a part of the world right? People from Asia? That would include people from India, China, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea, Afghanistan, parts of Russia etc. And within those countries there are hundreds if not thousands of ethnic groups including Pashtun, Balti, Mongol, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uzbek and Tatar to name a few. There is no genetic similarity (not even a little) between my daughter who is Kazakh and my friend who is Han Chinese...you all understand that right?

There may be cultures that put a certain empasis on education in the sciences and certain socio-economic levels that are especially interested in their children entering certain segments of society but its not any more linked to being "Asian" than working at a bank is linked to being "White."

Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Because these subjects are hard and demanding, and society places a high value on those who have skills in them.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,153 times
Because they're hard-working students, and science requires much more effort than liberal arts.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM

hML,

the masses desire simplicity above all else. These voted according to the same underlying reason. They forsake nuance, complexity, responsibility and contingency for a world of black-and-white simplicity and blind ignorance.

America can go down down in flames because it chooses to opt for lemming-hood...OR...it can wake up and smell the coffee and start thinking for a change.

BTW, my best students overseas (i taught but a small selection of folks, unfortunately no Kazakhs--though we have good friends that are) were Filipinos and Vietnamese, two groups that do not perform very well in the US, as well as Germans, and Americans (of all races).

More important than race is whether their minds are open. Americans used to be the global yardstick, something pointed out by several notes European scholars, including deToqueville. Now? Just look at this message board. Frightening...

My hope resides with the small minority of voices, young and old, that remind me of an America that used to predominate. Thank God for Idaho.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
they have a major advantage, peer pressure does not require them to get in 20 hrs of hip hop a week.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM

362 posts, read 774,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
But fewer Asian student succeed in Liberal Arts Subjects.
Do you think it is genetic difference?
Just go to a college on those days where students are given a couple extra days to study and you'll find the majority of them to be asian and indian. some may be foreign students, but they came here to study, not to party.

and I'm not generalizing, becuase I've known some asians(very few though) who had been in gangs and were known for stealing cars in the West coast before moving to the East coast so they could calm down.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
Just go to a college on those days where students are given a couple extra days to study and you'll find the majority of them to be asian and indian. some may be foreign students, but they came here to study, not to party.
Suggests the real issues are economics and clear realization that this is a golden opportunity, whereas far too many 3rd+ generation Americans feel self-entitled and have become "soft." On the down side, welfare, drug culture, and lack of parents education to initiate that technology transfer. On the upside, life here where one can make 20-50 times more than at home.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,141 times
I am not Asian. I went to school in Europe. This is the observations I have made about Education in the US. The goal is success(A's) not learning. It starts in kindergarten when parents hold their kids back so they can me more "mature" when they start. The kids right away learn to say "it is too hard" to anything that requires too much effort. It continues into high school and college where students pick the easier classes. Then in adulthood people will say things like "I can't balance my check book" or "I can't program a VCR", etc...

Culturally where I come from people will never admit to ignorance. They will actually try to hide their ignorance because they are embarrassed about it.

Before every one jumps on me I am aware that there are exceptions to the rule. Not everyone in the US is like that but there is a majority.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
Asians prefer maths and science because it's much easier for us to compete in the job market. It's nearly impossible for an asian to BS his or way to the top. On the other hand, jobs in IT, engineering and medicine require real skills, talk and connection just don't cut it.

That's why.
spot on.

also, no

americans do not get all the elite. there are millions of smart students in asia too. some also just do not have access to certain educational opportunities or may not pursue higher education due to circumstances, socio-economic background etc.

part of the reason for some of the proficiency in math and science has to do with the language. language influences how a brain is wired or becomes wired. asian languages are spatial-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education