Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times

Advertisements

GPAs do matter and no one should even think about getting somewhere with a below 3.0 GPA.
I was tutored in Statistics because I was afraid of getting a GPA lower than a 3.9. The tudor was a Penn professor who believed the GPAs mean everthing but SAT GRE etc scores have little if anything that will help one after finishing college or grad school. His order of life awas to get into college with the best of teachers/professors and mingle. Yeah mingle with the group because politics play a huge part if not weigh the most for getting your perfect job....The is what will help grease the half opened doors.

I didn't perform well as I should and my undergrad GPA was a tad under 3.8. It was totaly great for the 6 Grad schools I applied. I chose a regular grad school and graduated with 3.75. Jobs were calling me at home and on my cell. No probelm in getting agood job .....

BTW I freeze during tests. Things happen to me that are not normal. hahahaha I get hot/cold and things just disappear from my mind.....A lot of hard work helped me calm down...

You will do great with your excellent GPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
GPA does matter and you will do well with a 3.8

Don't worry nothing is out of the question when you put your mind to it....

Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
I have a 3.8 and am a senior in college. I have always been on the Dean's list and always worked full time at the same time. This semester though is kicking my butt.

One professor doesn't like me too much. All the assignments are based on opinion but she doesn't accept mine and constantly gives me poor grades for it. I can't drop the class. I need it.

I just got back home from failing a test in one of my most important classes. I am a finance major and really worried about what kind of gpa I need to be able to advance in school, or the workplace. Maybe work experience will count for something?

The professor told us the average of this test has been, in every previous semester, a 60-65%. I counted up the points of the problems I know I got right....30 points.

I looked around the room and some students were even crying. I'm trying not to anticipate complete course failure but it's taxing not too.

/rant.
NEver give up...Never quit! I think you might have a better GPA then some previous and current leaders in politics. And if you are getting low grades b/c of a difference in opinion, then you need to talk to her supervisor.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,895 times
yep i go to one of the best universities in the country, have a solid GPA and have worked all 4 years and I, (along with many of my peers) am extremely nervous given the economic climate.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Please check the date on former posts before you post

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
GPA does matter and has an impact on your first job and how much money you will make.
I'd agree on the first part of that.

When you are fresh-out, you have very little quantifiable characteristics that a company can use to judge your ability to be productive for them. Chances are, a hiring manager is going to have a bunch of candidates, some with internships in non-related fields... and all they will have to set those candidates apart after the interviews are over is a number on their resume.

It can put you over the top. After your first job, maybe if you apply for another job in the first 3 years, your GPA only resides on your resume if it was stellar. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

As for money... my personal experience showed that GPA meant squat. But, that is just one man's experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Like the previous poster stated, maybe for the first job then no one cares. Heck, my undergrad GPA was 2.7 and GPA within my major was 2.5. Guess what my GPA from graduate school was? 3.85 (Ph.D. Medical Neuropharmacology from a major medical school) where there's all the pressure and stress of either getting an 'A' in every class or risk being kicked out of the program with even a 'B' grade.

High school GPA is obviously very important in that it's one of the most important determinant of which college will accept you.
I am a senior in a Electrical Engineering from one of the top Engineering universities in US. My current gpa is a 2.78 which I am hoping to bring up to 2.91 by the end of my last semester. I get the understanding from peers and looking at trends that my chances of getting into even a somewhat good grad school for engineering might be slim to none. What advice can you give me which helped you get into a good grad school even though your gpa was mediocre.

And answering to the original thread, even though my gpa is currently a 2.78 I was able to land a 65K entry level job in a fortune 500 company. I think what helped me were my internships and research experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Graduated with a 4.0 and it was no big deal. In fact, many where threatened by it when on job interviews. I think what people look for is a decent GPA, good social skills, ability to work with others, and self motivation.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
I have a 3.8 and am a senior in college. I have always been on the Dean's list and always worked full time at the same time. This semester though is kicking my butt.

One professor doesn't like me too much. All the assignments are based on opinion but she doesn't accept mine and constantly gives me poor grades for it. I can't drop the class. I need it.

I just got back home from failing a test in one of my most important classes. I am a finance major and really worried about what kind of gpa I need to be able to advance in school, or the workplace. Maybe work experience will count for something?

The professor told us the average of this test has been, in every previous semester, a 60-65%. I counted up the points of the problems I know I got right....30 points.

I looked around the room and some students were even crying. I'm trying not to anticipate complete course failure but it's taxing not too.

/rant.
As many have said, GPA matters primarily for initial jobs and much less for anything thereafter. I have six years of finance/accounting experience, and nobody has ever asked me what my GPA was beyond my first job. The business world is a practical world; hiring managers generally care about what valuable activities you've done recently, not what you did a bunch of years ago. That said, having a high GPA doesn't hurt, and it's something you can then advertise on your resume as one more data point of your ability to accomplish things. I have both my undergrad and master's GPA on mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education