Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,733 times

Advertisements

Today we had a snow day. In the the five years that I've been teaching, this is the first snow day that we have had. We have actually had worse storms in the past, but the bulk of this storm was hitting right during the morning commute. This would have put teachers who drive, parents who drive the kids to school, and those who ride the school bus in danger. Not to mention walking I'm sure would have been really tough.

When the news reported the closing, they seemed to act as if it were a tradgey. "What are parents going to do as far as daycare", the news reporter said. I feel like the news was making a bigger deal out it than it should have been. School is not daycare.

I should mention that surrounding districts close all the time. They have closed for several snow days . The other districts also closed for extreme heat last year. Our schools stayed open and children were passing out.

When I was a kid, my mother had a contingency plan. If schools were closed or I was sick, she knew what to do. It seems to make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
I'm having a snow day today! My company usually closes if there's a storm and even if they don't close, nobody takes issue with those that choose to work from home if driving conditions are bad. On that note, there's talk of putting a day care in one of our buildings. *fingers crossed* I don't have kids but I know that will be a huge help for my colleagues that have kids.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
I am not sure about were you live, but here in Maine if a school is closed because of snow then day care will be closed as well. Also, depending on the type of work that the parent does, there is a good chance that work will be closed, too. Or at least the employer will understand if you cannot make it in.

Today is the third Monday in a row that my college has closed because of snow. It is really pissing me off.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
We're enjoying our snow day here. The library where I work closed as well as the schools. My poor college son just started his "Spring break" and was planning on going camping in the Smoky Mountains and is instead just waiting out the weather at a friends house. I believe this is our fourth snow day this school year. Usually all the schools in the county close or stay open together. Probably keeps us parents off their backs.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
We are also having a snow day here in GA. In the county I live in, there is nothing on the ground or the roads. It snowed yesterday for a few hours, and melted before nightfall. Parts of GA did get some accumulation, but not us. So, why are we closed? I think at some point, there were a few patches of ice, very few.

I will let my kids enjoy it, as they haven't experienced a snow day since we left NJ 7 years ago.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Big surprise, we get very few snow days here in CO. My kids didn't have more than a handful from 1989 through 2005, when they were in school. We're used to it. Generally speaking, when it's bad enough to close the schools, businesses are usually closed too, so day care isn't a huge issue.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,315 times
Quote:
School is not daycare
You are correct that a school offers more than a daycare center, but one of the things that both offer are supervision and care for children. If someone sends their 4 year old to daycare, then when the child is 5, they go to kindergarten. It's instead of daycare. So working parents DO use school as a place to send their children where they will be supervised and cared for. If schools are closed and their businesses are not, then they are in the same situation as they would be if the child were too ill to go to school. The reason so many kids go to school when they're sick is because parents don't have alternate care for their children. In the case of a snow day (or a sick day), parents need to have some sort of backup plan, whether it's that one of them take the day off, that a neighbor or relative watch the child, etc. I would hope that most parents have something like that in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education