Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,276 times

Advertisements

Was just reading some old threads and found one noting that corporal punishment is still used in many of the schools ... whether by law or defacto.

Anyone know which schools/ districts this is taking place (even if just defacto, which is most relevant really)??

Even the laws are changing, what sort of attitude must educators have to be able to do such a thing? How else is this attitude reflected within the school system in NC/ the south?

Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
You need to be more specific. There's over 100 public school districts in the state.

State Law - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...S_115C-391.pdf

Old 03-08-2009, 07:31 PM

484 posts, read 1,584,510 times
I know for sure that CP is still used in the following school districts:

-Madison County schools.
-Burke County schools.
-Catawba County schools.
-Caldwell County schools.
-Davidson County schools.
-Anson County schools.
-Columbus County schools.
-Graham County schools.
-Duplin County schools.
-Franklin County schools.
-Henderson County schools.
-McDowell County schools.
-Haywood County schools.-
-Yancey County schools.
-Robeson County schools.
-Stanly County schools.
-Jacksonville schools (I'm not sure what county that is)
-Rockingham County schools
-Salisbury schools (not sure of the county)
-Nash-Rocky Mount county schools
-Statesville county schools

I'm sure there are a LOT more (including a LOT of private schools) but those are the ones I know of.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Henderson County Public School Policy

Henderson County Public School Policy and the Public School Laws of North Carolina state that principals, assistant principals, and teachers in the public schools of Henderson County may use reasonable force (corporal punishment) in the exercise of lawful authority to restrain or correct pupils and maintain order. Students have a right to know the nature of the offense with which they are charged and to receive fair and reasonable physical discipline appropriate to their age and gender.

Before administering corporal punishment, school authorities will provide due process by:

1. A written statement developed following an on-site conference with the student’s parent(s), legal guardian(s), or legal custodian(s) permitting corporal punishment, signed by the parent(s), legal guardian(s), or legal custodian(s) and valid for that school year, shall be on file at the school prior to the administration of any corporal punishment.

2. Not in front of classmates–Corporal punishment shall not be administered with other students present and shall be restricted to the administrative area of the school.

3. Notice to the students–Corporal punishment will never be used unless other, less severe punishments have been tried first, and unless the student has been warned that corporal punishment may be the result of further misbehavior.

4. Presence of another school official–Corporal punishment may be administered by either the principal, assistant principal, or teacher employed by the Henderson County Public Schools; and, then only in the presence of the principal or his designee, selected from the certified staff, who has been told beforehand and in the student’s presence of the reason for the punishment.

5. Girls–Corporal punishment to girls in grades 6-12 may only be administered by female principals, assistant principals, or teachers.

6. Boys–Corporal punishment to boys in grades 6-12 may only be administered by male principals, assistant principals, or teachers.

7. Documentation of the incident–School officials shall document and keep the reason for the punishment (after lesser punishment was tried first), the name of the second employee present, the date of the offense, name of the designee if the principal is absent, and other pertinent data. The appropriate school officials shall, within 24 hours, provide the student’s parent(s), legal guardian(s), or legal custodian(s) with written notification that corporal punishment was used, the name of the official who used the corporal punishment, a written explanation of the reasons for the use of the corporal punishment, and the name of the second official who was present. A copy of this parent(s), legal guardian(s), or legal custodian(s) notification shall be sent to the Superintendent or his designee.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
A lot of schools in TX still do paddling.

I think I've seen that MS is the number one state for it....something like 20% of school children there were paddled in one year recently.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Anyone lays a hand on my kids, they're in for a world of hurt.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
do your kids behave? if they do nobody would have a reason to. if they don't, then in my opinion your kids should have their rearends toasted. the same thing applies to my own kids.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
I wouldn't worry as my children do behave pretty well.
But i agree with PP...you TOUCH my child and you'll be having some problems from me and my DH.

Though i would NEVER enroll my child in a school with corporal punishment in the first place..

Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM

95 posts, read 244,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
do your kids behave? if they do nobody would have a reason to. if they don't, then in my opinion your kids should have their rearends toasted. the same thing applies to my own kids.
I tend to agree.

Last edited by SSWM; 03-09-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
Nobody has the right to "toast" my kids' rear-ends, no matter what your opinion on the subject happens to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education