Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

All of you saying the kids can't carry their meds with them need to go to your school boards and find out why and get it changed.. I talked the school nurse at my grand daughters school and she told me all it takes is a note from the doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 PM

"According to the ALA, every state except Connecticut, Louisiana, South Dakota and Vermont has a statewide law or regulation in place that requires schools to allow students to carry and use asthma inhalers."

"This doesn't mean that students with asthma get an automatic green light to carry and use their quick-relief meds, but it does encourage schools to evaluate each student's maturity level, asthma symptoms, potential need for medication and their willingness to follow the
school's policy regarding carrying and using medications. Bottom line - communication between students, school staff, healthcare providers and parents/guardians is, as always, the key."

Asthma - Can children carry inhalers at school?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Ask the person in California being sued by the person they were trying to save...
you can google it..
Kinda off topic but yeah.. I remember this from CA when I was getting licensed in CPR (infant and adult). What the instructor said was basically that you have to ask if you can help. If they say no, you can wait until they pass out and then start administrating CPR. They SHOULD have a law that protects the administrator.. My dad once saved a man's life w/ CPR (the man died a few days later and his family came to see my dad, bringing him roses and thanking him for saving the life of their loved one that day). Also, everyone SHOULD know CPR. But hey, it's a free country.

Back to the topic, what a sad story.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,338 times
Quote:
Ask the person in California being sued by the person they were trying to save...
you can google it..
Please read my post again. I didn't say it didn't happen but but that it doesn't happen nearly as often as people seem to think. I know that I personally am going to try to help someone and my first thought won't be "what if they sue me!" especially if a child is involved.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Would your state have protected you had you used the pen and it was "not prescribed for the purpose you used it for" and something went wrong?

I have a feeling had you, you'd be the one being sued for 15 million.

Are you required and all of your fellow employees required to know CPR at work?
I agree that you'd probably be sued if you used it and the pt. died or had a bad reaction.

From the article:
"Health clerks must be high school graduates and have a current CPR card, Carlson added. They also receive on-the-job training from the school nurse and other staff and attend monthly meetings for additional training. But she didn’t know last week what training or credentials the clerk on duty that day had."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
In most curcumstances, I'm all for following school rules. Still, I remember how huge my high school was. I can't imaginge having to go all the way to the office for an inhaler or other urgent medication. Is there an age when a school aged child is permitted to carry medication like inhalers? I'm just curious.
Just today, a doctor I work for gave persmission for a 12 yr old to carry an inhaler. Our school district's form has a place to indicate if the child has permission to self medicate or if s/he has to go to the health room.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
"According to the ALA, every state except Connecticut, Louisiana, South Dakota and Vermont has a statewide law or regulation in place that requires schools to allow students to carry and use asthma inhalers."

"This doesn't mean that students with asthma get an automatic green light to carry and use their quick-relief meds, but it does encourage schools to evaluate each student's maturity level, asthma symptoms, potential need for medication and their willingness to follow the
school's policy regarding carrying and using medications. Bottom line - communication between students, school staff, healthcare providers and parents/guardians is, as always, the key."

Asthma - Can children carry inhalers at school?
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of it and I wonder how many other parents aren't either.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,214 times
What is most sad about people stepping in and helping it use to be what was expected not feared. My father was a surgeon and they *use* to have "MD" on a doctors license plates so that if there was an emergency, they could stop you to help.

We were on vacation once, and the whole family (seven of us) were packed in our family station wagon heading home tired, and a cop came speeding up behind us and pulled my dad over. He told him there was a girl that was reported drowned in a pool at a near by hotel and could he help.

We turned the car around and headed to the hotel.

You know he saved her life....And it was because they expected people who knew how to help to come and do what they could in those days....

that's whats sad with this country today.......

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Thank you for such an informative post. Now let me ask you. What would happen if you needed the pump and you didn't have it? Would the attack escalate or would it just take you longer to start breathing normal?

Legally I do not believe you can sue to make someone else do something. The only way you can force a change is by costing them money. If these parents as successful other schools will change their policies.
well see that's the thing, I ALWAYS had my pump on me. I'm not sure when schools started mandating that all medicines, even cough drops (according to another thread here on a similar topic) be held w/ the nurse, but if I didn't have my pump and the symptoms got worse, I'd either have to use a neb or go to the ER

"sue" was a bad choice of word regarding the second point. but I think instead of suing for money, the parents could be pushing for a change of rules or new legislation regarding CPR training (which, yes, I believe it should be mandatory for at least a few teachers to know it. these kids are in their hands for almost 8 hours a day, they need to be prepared in case of an emergency that can't wait for EMTs to arrive)

Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well see that's the thing, I ALWAYS had my pump on me. I'm not sure when schools started mandating that all medicines, even cough drops (according to another thread here on a similar topic) be held w/ the nurse, but if I didn't have my pump and the symptoms got worse, I'd either have to use a neb or go to the ER

"sue" was a bad choice of word regarding the second point. but I think instead of suing for money, the parents could be pushing for a change of rules or new legislation regarding CPR training (which, yes, I believe it should be mandatory for at least a few teachers to know it. these kids are in their hands for almost 8 hours a day, they need to be prepared in case of an emergency that can't wait for EMTs to arrive)

"I'm not sure when schools started mandating that all medicines, even cough drops"

It has to do with schools being drug free zones,and I think they have over done it..

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Please read my post again. I didn't say it didn't happen but but that it doesn't happen nearly as often as people seem to think. I know that I personally am going to try to help someone and my first thought won't be "what if they sue me!" especially if a child is involved.
No one is saying don't help.. Just be prepared for that one NUT you mentioned. Just the attorney fees defending yourself could ruin your life, even when and if you win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education