Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

17-year-old rejects dresses, says they represent sexual identity — might be allowed to wear pantsuit

LEBANON, Ind. — A Lebanon High School senior is suing the school after her principal told her she could not wear a tuxedo to the school’s prom.

Lesbian sues to wear tux to prom :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1472086,lesbian-tuxedo-prom-lebanon-031109.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Good. I hope she wins.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
One wonders why it's such a big bloody deal for the grownups, honestly. I can see why it's a big deal to the girl. She's a teen, and everything is of extreme magnitude, no matter her sex or orientation. But the grownups need, frankly, to get lives.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
At least she'll have all her bits covered up, which is more than I can say for many prom going girls.
Tuxedos on women are actually pretty fashionable: http://www.baronboutique.com/womens_...sic_tuxedo.jpg

Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
And how did the principal know she was planning to wear one? Do ALL the students, male and female, have to file their intentions with the principal for approval before prom night?

No, I expect that the young lady made her intentions known with the thought of forcing the principal to do something about it. You know how it goes, "I'm going to do thus and so, and you can't do a thing about it. It's a free country." I am guessing that he thought that she was waving a red flag, he had to take a stand.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
in some school districts students DO HAVE to have prom attire approved beforehand--to avoid issues with gang colors, revealing clothing...
I think the issue is that the principal sees this wearing of the tux as an "outing/endorsement" of gay lifestyle--that is probably what s/he objects to -- advertising the fact that the student is gay--maybe she is taking another female to the prom--in some districts that would really be a red flag...
(did not read the article yet)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
Tux, boots, high heel sneakers, ties and lets be real about this mess. Who really cares.

Does a dress code to a prom really mean that women must dress as a woman and a guy who dresses like a guy is really a guy? I think a tux on a woman looks rather sexy.

Just think about this school in the NYC area that showed two women wearing "butt outs" and another wearing a plunging neckline to the waist. The principal didn't call the authorities. I think he was just more concerned about the class graduating.

My neighbor's teenage girls use to wear a male pair of boxer shorts...It was the fad and the only reason the dad got angry was because the fly was not sewn up in front.

I too hope the woman in Indiana wins and maybe the school and state should reinforce the dangerous weapons laws and be happy the kids dress code for a prom is their biggest problem....

Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Don't you think the policy was put in place just to define formal wear as in black tie, or business casual, etc? I hope the school quickly changes the policy. I agree with everyone that mentions how attractive tuxes can be on women and they certainly are less revealing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
I wonder how the principal knew in the first place. If I was the girl, I would have just show up in the tux. *shrug*

I wonder if he would prevent a young man from wearing a dress kilt?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And how did the principal know she was planning to wear one? Do ALL the students, male and female, have to file their intentions with the principal for approval before prom night?

No, I expect that the young lady made her intentions known with the thought of forcing the principal to do something about it. You know how it goes, "I'm going to do thus and so, and you can't do a thing about it. It's a free country." I am guessing that he thought that she was waving a red flag, he had to take a stand.
Then he knows little about adolescents, because the least productive thing you can do with them is allow them to force you into a test of wills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education