Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which percentile (out of the general U.S. population) to do think you rank in terms of intelligen
Bottom 25% 4 4.71%
Bottom 50% 4 4.71%
Top 50% 10 11.76%
Top 25% 34 40.00%
Top 5% 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,048 times

Advertisements

I'm a special ed. case manager so I work with determining eligibility for learning disabilities. I'm so used to seeing IQ's in the 90's and below that when I see one over 100 I say "that's a smart kid". You see, it's all relevant, what you're used to, etc. And whoever said earlier in the thread that IQ is only a part of how smart a person is, you are totally right! As for me myself, I think I'm smart in a lot of ways, but in other ways I'm sure not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!! Some things I'm really good at, but others, forget it! Although I graduated Valedictorian of my high school class and had a 3.82 GPA in college (as a 35 year old working mom), I KNOW there were people in both high school and college who were a lot "smarter" than I was. It's just so hard to determine what "smart" really is, in my book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 59,787 times
Be humble! and then surprise others.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I'm smart, but don't have the "rat-race" mentality and I am more into discovering self and being well rounded than fitting in or money. I'm pretty against current societal super specializations. So, many of my peers are definitely more successful than I, but perhaps not as happy, smart, well read or well traveled for instance. A lot of people I was smarter than in H.S. and in college have since left me in the dust financially and climbing the corporate ladder...Though I was above them at the h.s. level as success was based on school performance we all HAD to do. I wouldn't say it necessarily means they are smart though. In America I constantly get the feeling that financial success has a strong correlation in peoples minds to being smart. Or if you want to go on to a PhD etc...that some piece of paper categorically makes you smart... I think it is more attitude and putting in work than necessarily being smart. I know several PhD's who think I am smarter than them and "wasting my life" by not trying to get ahead etc. I view otherwise and will still massacre them when say, playing scattergories or trivial pursuit with my lowly bachelors degree.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour View Post
Now that is a smart strategy. I have not read this whole thread but I find that smart people realize they still have a lot to learn from the world and from other people. To me, smart people are constantly learning. For example, they may subscribe to multiple periodicals/forums of varied topics, they find expert mentors in their fields of interest, and they glean information from everything and everyone - whether it's their physics professor, their business mentor, the coffee shop waitress who practices scientology, the elderly docent at the museum who was a WWII vet, etc.

I find that people are more apt to share knowledge with those who are humble and who listen patiently. I find the smartest people can prove their point with evidence but they are also open to new ideas and other's experiences. They are not just caught up in trying to impress others with their "smartness" and not too proud to admit they can learn from others at all stages of their life.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour View Post

I prefer to be myself and then ignore others.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I'm a special ed. case manager so I work with determining eligibility for learning disabilities. I'm so used to seeing IQ's in the 90's and below that when I see one over 100 I say "that's a smart kid". You see, it's all relevant, what you're used to, etc. And whoever said earlier in the thread that IQ is only a part of how smart a person is, you are totally right! As for me myself, I think I'm smart in a lot of ways, but in other ways I'm sure not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!! Some things I'm really good at, but others, forget it! Although I graduated Valedictorian of my high school class and had a 3.82 GPA in college (as a 35 year old working mom), I KNOW there were people in both high school and college who were a lot "smarter" than I was. It's just so hard to determine what "smart" really is, in my book!
I agree!

what is smart? I have met doctor's with little or no common sense. Does that mean they are not smart? They perform surgeries so obviously they have something going for them.

Now, I can't perform these same surgeries, but I would not say I am not as smart as them. I might even be smarter. Depends on how you define it.

I always thought "smart" meant a person's ability to aquire knowledge and utilize it. Doesn't matter what the starting point is, a 4 year old or a 40y/o with a phd

Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,705 times
In europe I belive I'm within the top 10-5% of the population. I don't have any perception of american general intelligence and I refuse to believe that Jay leno walking or this forum are representative.

Though I can generally be pretty stupid, however when I concentrate on something it will usually be done efficiently and with good quality, finding solutions that others before me have not. I supose I don't think very closely very often, but when I do I'm pretty good at it.

Might sound egocentric but it's the way it is
IQ is 126 by the way

Haha! funny that 38 percent find themselves in the top 5%

Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,981,691 times
Where do people take IQ tests? Do you actually go to a psychologist and take one? Or are you all referring to the internet IQ tests?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Haha! funny that 38 percent find themselves in the top 5%
Yep, not a random sample.
I work in a field where IQ's >140 are almost a given and we all work for people with IQ's probably around 110 or so that are great at running a business and make x3 what we do.

There are ALL types of smart.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Where do people take IQ tests? Do you actually go to a psychologist and take one? Or are you all referring to the internet IQ tests?
The internet ones seem pretty erratic, I scored high enough on one once on a challenge from a friend to pretty much invalidate the test as it was way higher than reality. (I dont trust them)

Mostly people get tested in school for admission to gifted programs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education