Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which percentile (out of the general U.S. population) to do think you rank in terms of intelligen
Bottom 25% 4 4.71%
Bottom 50% 4 4.71%
Top 50% 10 11.76%
Top 25% 34 40.00%
Top 5% 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Ya know what? Have you ever noticed that those of extreme intelligence are very boring people? I dont mean not nice people. I mean very boring conversation and very boring to be around.

I recall some years ago Ann Landers ran a nationwide survey. The general public was to vote on what trade/profession was the most boring person. Guess who came out on top as the most boring person? Engineers came in first and Toll Collecters came in second.

Engineers are generally smart people and Toll Collectors are generally not. Both opposites yet equally boring? Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ok, I'm interested in your alternatives to the above examples. I'm looking forward to your ideas. I suspect they will be pretty interesting. Also, a quicker method to any of the above should prove to be handy.
Simple answer: Math. Real math. No letters involved. The real math that was taught before useless algebra begun to be jambed down our throats in about 1970 or so.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Simple answer: Math. Real math. No letters involved. The real math that was taught before useless algebra begun to be jambed down our throats in about 1970 or so.
You are confusing the heck out of me. Maybe I'm missing something. Since when are these letters not place holders for variables? How is it not useful to utilize the equations in algebra? The sole puprose is for expediency. I'm not a mathematician, and only use simple algebra, but I'm not understanding why you feel the expamples I provided above are not useful.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Desertsun41, I have a simple math question for you. I promise, I won't use any algebra type letters. How do you solve for the following? You want to weight out some compound in grams. You need to have a molar (M) concentration of 0.1M. The molecular weight is 567.2 and you're going to put it in 500ml. Please, wright out how you will solve for this unknown (the grams you need). I will be very surprised if you don't use algebra. If you don't, I'll toast you with some virtual champaign!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM

277 posts, read 626,943 times
I always got very high scores on IQ tests but I couldn't compose a proper paragraph if my life depended on it. When I was in school I used to quickly solve the problems that my math and science teachers would get stumped on.

I used to sometimes pretend not to know some things just so I would fit in better with the people I used to work with.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Well then perhaps you should have gone to school ? Im wrong. You are a product of our wonderful school system.
Nope. I am not the product of your wonderful school system. I only attended one year of High School in the US.

I stand by my statement "I've never heard such an ignorant statement in my life"..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you don't understand it and can't figure it out it must be useless, right?
I am confused. Why are you addressing this to me? I love Math well except a class I took in graduate school called Combinatorics.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Somebody asked if I was smart. I'd like to think I was, but more likely it is a mixed bag: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" comes to mind...

Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Ya know what? Have you ever noticed that those of extreme intelligence are very boring people? I dont mean not nice people. I mean very boring conversation and very boring to be around.
I don't find people interesting (at least, not anything more than momentarily entertaining, in an "oddity" sort of way) unless they are intelligent, as a rule. Stupid people don't interest me.

That said, boring people come with all levels of intelligence. But I've never met a REALLY interesting person before who wasn't smart.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
As expected, this thread has started going off topic. Here's the original post to remind us:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This sounds like the topic of a "troll" thread, but please let me explain.

I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be in the process of acquiring his PhD in Psychology. We were discussing something and I said of a mutual acquaintance, "He's a smart guy." and my friend stopped me..

He said, "what makes you think he's smart?... Better yet, what makes you think that YOU'RE smart?" It wasn't an accusation or interrogation, but more of a genuinely curious question. What makes us think that we're smart? Furthermore, do YOU think you're smart?

I think that the vast majority of us feel like we're smart, at least to a certain degree. I mean "smart" in a general sense, not necessarily one particular way. One can be educated and smart, while someone else who has never stepped foot in a classroom can be smart too (street smart/ common sense). I'm not referring to one particular kind of "smart;" I simply mean it in the most general sense possible.

So without giving away my reason for asking, where do you think you rank amongst the general populous in terms of intelligence?

I'm well aware that this could be a touchy subject which is why I'm going to make it so no one is allowed to see who voted for what. Please be honest. This subject matter can set up some nasty personal attacks, so if you don't feel the need to justify your vote out of fear of being attacked, feel free not to. I am curious to see how "smart" people consider themselves. Thanks for participating!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education